2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Regarding players getting offers: If the offer is not a "good" one; like a one-way AHL, then players would be advised to reject it. I've always considered Murray to be AHL caliber and now look at Maillet in the same light. Both are very talented.

I usually keep a close eye on Twitter and stuff after the Nationals to see who has signed where. usually a handful of guys who have graduated or 5th year.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Regarding players getting offers: If the offer is not a "good" one; like a one-way AHL, then players would be advised to reject it.

This is exactly right. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes you can make as an undergrad - leaving early for a two-way AHL/ECHL deal. If you're a good player, like Murray or Mailett, the two-way East Coast deal will be there when you graduate.

There are also countless European leagues out there that pay as much or more as the East Coast league. Who wouldn't want to get a degree, see the world while getting paid to play hockey for a few years, and then get into your off-ice career when you're 29 or 30?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There are also countless European leagues out there that pay as much or more as the East Coast league. Who wouldn't want to get a degree, see the world while getting paid to play hockey for a few years, and then get into your off-ice career when you're 29 or 30?

As a matter of fact, Mario Richer, who used to coach in the Q (assistant in Shawinigan last year?), is now the Head Coach and General Manager of the Gothiques in Amiens, France. They play in the top league in France, and he was at the University Cup to look at players who he might be able to sign.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading something earlier in the season about Marcoux being done this year as well.

I haven't seen anything specific this year but I know when he was recruited he was starting in the 3rd year of the business program due to previous coursework. Also, in Victor Findlay's interviews posted on Soundcloud, Randy Gazzola said he is graduating this year.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
As a matter of fact, Mario Richer, who used to coach in the Q (assistant in Shawinigan last year?), is now the Head Coach and General Manager of the Gothiques in Amiens, France. They play in the top league in France, and he was at the University Cup to look at players who he might be able to sign.

We didn't get a chance to see much of Alberta, but Jayden Hart reminds me a lot of Francis Beauvillier.
Physical power forward ,with size. McFaul for Saskatchewan is a rock on the Huskies backend. He is another, that could get pro interest.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Interesting...

So this begs the question does the conference title even matter anymore? Yes every team would like to win it anyway for Pride but is the desperation and all out to win it actualy there anymore?

Such as in the OUA did any team really care going into Nationals really care if they won or loss the Queens Cup?

Late on this, apologies!

The answer, from an eyeball test, is yes - teams really did (and do) care about winning the Queen's Cup. A title is a title, and I think players realize that a chance to be a champion at any level is important, regardless of what game you have to play next week.

However, resting players for the Queen's Cup isn't unprecedented - check out this excerpt from an Oral History I did last year on the 1996 Waterloo Warriors (and, if you're already suffering withdrawl, feel free to read the whole thing from Part 1 - be warned, it's not a short read!)

http://www.athletics.uwaterloo.ca/news/2015/11/26/MHOCKEY_1126152325.aspx

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking back on this thread, I don't see where we congratulated Acadia on the Bronze win. So, I'll do that here. SFX and Peds have to put the semi and Bronze scores behind them and move on.

So, congrats to the Axemen. They put on a good show against UofA and lost to the eventual Gold medal winner. It's always good to win your last game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Speaking of Acadia, from talking to a few people around the team, they did consider the tournament a success, won vs #1, lost a close semi-final to the eventual winner, and were able to take home a bronze medal. From watching them, they seemed genuinely happy to have taken home the bronze. I am sure that they would have been much happier to take silver or gold, but they did come home with a medal. Good on them!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yes, congratulations to them. The bronze medal game is always a hard one to play. Great to see Fioretti on the ice there at the end too after coming back from his med school interview.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
We didn't get a chance to see much of Alberta, but Jayden Hart reminds me a lot of Francis Beauvillier.
Physical power forward ,with size. McFaul for Saskatchewan is a rock on the Huskies backend. He is another, that could get pro interest.

I've often thought that, of all the forwards I've watched in the AUS the last couple years, Beauvillier might be the one with the best shot at making the NHL - if even for just a cup of coffee. It's filled out quite a bit from his draft year (2012) and his "hard and fast" style of play really fits with the direction 3rd and 4th lines are headed in the NHL.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
There were people sitting in the stairs near where I was sitting, but I had no problem with it as it didn't affect me any. Seems strange this would happen....I wonder if they re-sold some tickets (specifically ones that had been given out to other teams)?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wasn't really an issue for myself, just was surprised that they let the people sit on the stairs, all of the fire marshalls must have had the day off! There were still empty seats, but I suspect it was friends/parents of players of eliminated teams.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
UNB-the ONLY true Elite program!

Congrats to UNB.
They were the best team, they deserved it!
Saskatchewan had a strong showing at the Tournament and Jordan Cooke had a so-so final but I firmly believe that UNB would have found a way even if Cooke was lights out.
The last two appearances by Alberta...disappointing to say the least...especially in light of how dominant the Golden Bears were in 2015 in Halifax.
Serge Lajoie has some work to do to get Alberta back to that level.

There used to be 2 elite programs, now there is 1 1/2!
For fans of the V-Reds enjoy your back-to-back.
Been there done that : 99-00, 05-06, 14-15...hoping to get back there!

Cheers,

Stauffer

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Congrats to UNB.
Saskatchewan had a strong showing at the Tournament and Jordan Cooke had a so-so final but I firmly believe that UNB would have found a way even if Cooke was lights out.
The last two appearances by Alberta...disappointing to say the least...especially in light of how dominant the Golden Bears were in 2015 in Halifax.

Cheers,

Stauffer

Think there is a chance Alberta may put in a bid to host again?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
U Cup

Think there is a chance Alberta may put in a bid to host again?

According to Stan Marple, they would like to go after it within the next few years The last time they hosted, there wasn't any WHL team, as now they have the Oil Kings. By the way, 18,000 for their final game. Wow, if that's true?
Moncton will be looking to host, but not for another couple of years. They will have the new Arena and the City of Moncton is going to be active in bringing in events. The University Cup is one.
By the way Bob, Stan may try to avoid you for a while?. Lol.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Congrats to UNB.

Cheers,

Stauffer

Move on Boob, getting tired of it always being something that is not quite as good as Daumer and Herbie and or the 76 Bears
Go name drop somewhere else and leave the Bears and the rest of the CIS alone. Even the present Bears are tired of you!
Sit around the shuttle bus with people looking for Wayne and I.
:blah:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I do think that you will see this go to Ryerson next, unless a CanadaWest team comes into the mix?
You Bison boys need to get your bid ready. MTS centre.

If Ryerson applies, they will get it. It's been out of the OUA for far too long, and there's no way the CIS will turn down Maple Leaf Gardens as the venue.

Zero chance Manitoba applies with the MTS Centre as the venue. Don't forget there are two franchises using that venue - the Jets and the Moose - and there's no way True North would commit that venue for a weekend in March when one or both of their franchises are likely to need it.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ryerson only seats 2300. Not sure if that's doable for Nationals.

In a larger arena they can "blackout" the upper bowl, perhaps.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
If Ryerson applies, they will get it. It's been out of the OUA for far too leong, and there's no way the CIS will turn down Maple Leaf Gardens as the venue.

Zero chance Manitoba applies with the MTS Centre as the venue. Don't forget there are two franchises using that venue - the Jets and the Moose - and there's no way True North would commit that venue for a weekend in March when one or both of their franchises are likely to need it.

Ryerson may get it, but what will the crowd support be like? Is it realistic to think that Ryerson would make it to the semi's? They would be wise to play on Friday, as that may be the only game they play.
A Friday loss and the crowd support dies.
The AUC saw 50/50 draws reaching over $15,000, $14,000 and $13,000 for UNB games alone, not including the other 5 tournament games. Pays bills. Host cities must feed and cover hotel costs, so it isn't cheap to host these events. Fredericton doesn't have competition, CIS hockey is the show.
Unlike the old format, you also have more teams, you are guarenteed only 1 game, no longer 2.
You have to take all of those factors into consideration.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
If Ryerson applies, they will get it. It's been out of the OUA for far too long, and there's no way the CIS will turn down Maple Leaf Gardens as the venue.

agreed , zero chance! big risk and no venue space, Max Bell on campus wouldn't work either, not set up for even for multi team minor hockey tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad