2017 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (March 16th-19th in Fredericton, NB)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Sask vs X

X 4-1 over McGill and on to play Sask Huskies in Saturday's semi- final.
McGill is skilled, but beat by a better team, that has become accustomed to playing very good playoff hockey. X has now won 8 straight playoff games. Can the Huskies burst the bubble?
Score early and play with the lead! They have the goaltending, but they are going to have to get more out of their offence, that is a must.
York gave Saskatchewan all they could handle in an ot loss Friday and the Huskies will have to elevate their game to another level to beat St Fx,
Saskatchewan won 't be playing in front of a hostile environment, as aside from a few hundred X fans, the majority of the crowd would rather see St FX go bye bye.
Saskatchewan needs to come up with it's best game this year and maybe we see them in Sunday's gold medal game.
"Go Dogs"!!

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Congrats to the AUS 3-0 so far and three semi-finalists.
Given that the OUA has gone 0-3 I think it is fair to say that Alberta drew the worst possible scenario to open the tournament at 10 AM MST against a team in Acadia that was ranked higher than them all year.
OUA BTW has been outshot a combined 103-61. Both Canada West teams carried the balance of play.

That said I believe we will end up with all-AUS Final:

Saturday predictions:

UNB 5-Acadia 1
ST. FX 3-Sask-0

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
u Cup

First of all, It's a good point that teams flying in from a 3-4 hour time zone be given a Friday start, not the early game Thursday. Alberta seeded #1 should have a say.I get it!
If you win, great, you get a good rest before the semis on Saturday. But, in reality, those teams should have the extra time to adjust, that's my opinion and before any from the AUS or OUA jumps in, put yourself on the other side of the table.
If it's going to be an 8 team single knockout, then it needs to be addressed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
While starting on Friday would give teams an extra day, I believe the top two teams should play on Thursday to give them the 3 in 4 advantage. Of course, that depends a lot on when the host team wants to open.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
While starting on Friday would give teams an extra day, I believe the top two teams should play on Thursday to give them the 3 in 4 advantage. Of course, that depends a lot on when the host team wants to open.

It does depend on the host. In Halifax the hosts (STFX and SMU) wanted to have Friday night games in order to maximize attendance. UNB wants Thursday night games because it is best for the team.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia vs UNB

Regular season:
Red Army won 4/5 head to head match ups vs the Axe.
5-1 AUC
2-1 loss in Acadia
5-2 AUC
6-1 in Acadia
2-1 AUC

UNB out scored the Axemen by a combined 20-6.
Acadia wasn't able to generate more than 2 goals during those 5 regular season games.
All aside, these stats mean absolutely nothing now, as Acadia has won 3 straight playoff games.
The series with X involved ot twice, I believe.
If Steeves plays as good as he did against Alberta, we could be looking at a one goal game, of coarse with lot's of physicality. If UNB survives this, they will be bruised.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to Victor Findlay, Sam Fioretti had to fly out west yesterday for a medical school interview. Big loss for Axemen. Michael Clarke is also still suspended.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Terrible call against Mike Thomas. Went back and re-watched the hit; he didn't take a long run, glided in, and didn't leave his feet, yet somehow received a 5 minute major for charging.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Saskatchewan did exactly what you have to do vs st FX score first and dont allow the Xmen to play that dreaded trap game

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Will be interesting to see how St. FX holds up today with such a short turnaround after their game last night. In the first 10 minutes Saskatchewan has definitely had more jump.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
7-0 U of S after 2

Evidently I have underestimated Saskatchewan.
Crushing AUS Champion St. FX after 2 to the tune of 7-0.
That said Saskatchewan was #2 to UNB's #1 from virtually November on.
Nonetheless. Wow

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Evidently I have underestimated Saskatchewan.
Crushing AUS Champion St. FX after 2 to the tune of 7-0.
That said Saskatchewan was #2 to UNB's #1 from virtually November on.
Nonetheless. Wow

Sask beating X doesnt surprise me at all. Everyone gives X too much credit cause they beat UNB and have had playoff sucess vs UNB. But they were still a 16-14 Regular season team. The score surprises me cause their goaltending is usually solid.

Iafrate is an idiot 2 dirty cheap shots lose with some dignity

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Bingo...the fact of the matter is they were a very average team up until this recent run.

I'm looking forward to the Huskies, mainly for the simple fact that it is someone different to play.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Wow, did the wheels ever come off the Bus for Peddle and company.:popcorn::help::cry::D
Huskies had much more jump and got a quick lead and kept on bringing it.
X vs Acadia at 9:30 for a bronze medal game, yikes!
Iafrate showing a lot of class, as usual.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
During the second intermission we were joking that Iafrate would probably be getting a major now the game was out of hand. He didn't disappoint. Hope he is suspended for their bronze medal game against Acadia.

As for the final on paper it is the most exciting matchup possible.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The last time the Banjomutts won the U-Cup they did so in Cooperalls.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I cannot believe those cooperalls existed. Cant believe some NHL teams wore them.

Is that Dave Adolph with the Assistant Captain A on the left side of the photo?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Had post game supper at the Alehouse with 'Foyle, Drummer, Gleaner Guy, Finder_24 and CHSR radio guy, Michel. Lots of AUS talk with a bit of USport thrown in.

Gold Medal predictions were split 3-3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad