2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
We can trade for Kovalchuk while upgrading our defense. He won't cost much either for his rights.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I might be hesitant either way.

Kovalchuk would be a trade (as mentioned) and I'd consider that if we were expected to win really soon and were only a player (or close) away from that.

Oshie would be a good acquisition, but I think he gets slightly less term than JVR will (5 vs 6-7 yrs I'd guess) but more money per. Don't know if we can trade JVR only to turn around and invest similar cap/term in another winger.

Just to clear up a misconception Kovalchuk would not (necessarily) be a trade (and certainly not as has been described).

NJ might sign and trade him, but they cannot trade his player rights as it stands. He is not an RFA.

He can negotiate with any team he wants, but unless it's with NJ he needs League wide approval.

So for Toronto there are two options:
-Sign him on their own and hope all other teams approve
-NJ signs him and then we trade for him.

But we cannot trade for his rights and then negotiate a deal.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Would be ok with Marleau and Joe- as to replace Bozak/JVR. I think those two are good fits given the fact our young players are still on ELC's. They can be easily slotted with Marner which gives them some protection as a scoring line depending on when they are used.

I'd take Kovy on a 1-2 year deal as well but depends on the cap hit. Radulov was definitively the superior KHL player than him and isn't declining to the same degree as Kovy (it was just last year that Kovy was healthy scratched for the KHL playoffs). Even when he was in the NHL, while he was pretty good 2-way, he h

No interest in Oshie.

I'd be very interested in Kulikov/Franson at the right price. I don't think Carrick/Marcinin will cut it....I'm not sure if Polak returning after major leg surgery is a great idea as well. It may have not happened in this series- but Polak probably would have got exposed as the playoffs went deeper (as he did last year with the Pens).

I think Franson was bad defensively at times here- but we could use his shot and I think in general, the team was very bad which magnified how bad he was. He also wants to be a Leaf again, which says a lot. It wasn't fair to him how garbage Carlysle's system was. I don't think any defender would have looked good under it.

Kulikov- he used to be a very solid young defender with upside in Florida who got a little ruined on a garbage Buffalo team under Bylsma. I think he could be the classic, "buy-low" scenario with upside, at the right price.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Would be ok with Marleau and Joe- as to replace Bozak/JVR. I think those two are good fits given the fact our young players are still on ELC's. They can be easily slotted with Marner which gives them some protection as a scoring line depending on when they are used.

I'd take Kovy on a 1-2 year deal as well but depends on the cap hit. Radulov was definitively the superior KHL player than him and isn't declining to the same degree as Kovy (it was just last year that Kovy was healthy scratched for the KHL playoffs). Even when he was in the NHL, while he was pretty good 2-way, he h

No interest in Oshie.

I'd be very interested in Kulikov/Franson at the right price. I don't think Carrick/Marcinin will cut it....I'm not sure if Polak returning after major leg surgery is a great idea as well. It may have not happened in this series- but Polak probably would have got exposed as the playoffs went deeper (as he did last year with the Pens).

I think Franson was bad defensively at times here- but we could use his shot and I think in general, the team was very bad which magnified how bad he was. He also wants to be a Leaf again, which says a lot. It wasn't fair to him how garbage Carlysle's system was. I don't think any defender would have looked good under it.

Kulikov- he used to be a very solid young defender with upside in Florida who got a little ruined on a garbage Buffalo team under Bylsma. I think he could be the classic, "buy-low" scenario with upside, at the right price.

I like the idea, but I don't think Joe and Marner would be a good pair. That has potential to be one of the most annoying lines to watch as a fan since they are both pass 1st and rarely shoot.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You sign Kovalchuk and you trade JVR or a plethora of our wing prospects for a d man. I'd take Kovalchuk on a 3 year deal if he wants it.

That point shot on the PP would be deadly I tell ya. Matthews would have a field day swallowing up those rebounds (if they don't end up in the net). You don't play him with Matthews 5v5 but that power play thooooo

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
JVR and a pick/prospect like Leipsic or Leivo or Soshnikov to NJD for Kovalchuks rights and Santini?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
what on earth are you talking about?
people want to acquire veteran help up front, so we can move the pieces that can fetch us something which can go to defense.

also. Marleau AND Thornton are UFA's this year. Kolvachuk's rights wouldn't cost that much at all.
AND you are allowed to do both. ideally you'd like to continue to be able to score for days. if you move pieces who score you're going to have to replace that. You HOPE that's coming from the minors, but you can't guarantee that every rookie that comes up will be a 20 goal scorer + 20 or more points.

AND. defense. is not just back end. it's a team concept. if your wingers don't come back and help out it doesn't matter if you've got Pronger, Neidermayer, Stevens and Leetch out there in their haydays. we'll still be struggling defensively.

I love this his rights won't go for much stuff

If this guy is as good as people on here are making him out to be he won't be traded cheap
NJ will have the entire league interested in the guy how does a good player who can score in a league that struggles for scoring go cheap?

This team needs defence and is going to be butting it's head up against the cap next season fix the problem that needs to be fixed before all else

I don't care who your forwards are you are not going to win anything with only 3 top 4 defenseman and that's not magically changing anytime soon

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Just to clear up a misconception Kovalchuk would not (necessarily) be a trade (and certainly not as has been described).

NJ might sign and trade him, but they cannot trade his player rights as it stands. He is not an RFA.

He can negotiate with any team he wants, but unless it's with NJ he needs League wide approval.

So for Toronto there are two options:
-Sign him on their own and hope all other teams approve
-NJ signs him and then we trade for him.

But we cannot trade for his rights and then negotiate a deal.

Appreciate the clarification.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JVR and a pick/prospect like Leipsic or Leivo or Soshnikov to NJD for Kovalchuks rights and Santini?

No thanks. Santini isn't that great of a prospect and we might as well just keep JvR. Younger and would cost less on the cap too probably.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Watching the team right now it's hard to not like what we see.

You imagine the kids as they are now with 1-2 years more of experience.

Add someone like Drew Doughty and maybe a more consistent winger then JVR (liked him down the stretch in the regular season) but so far hasn't made much of a mark in the post-season.

Key part is finding a defenseman like Doughty who could control the pace of the game.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I remember that feeling with Spezza and Stajan. like. gosh. now they're married and everything. geeze louise.

It's like how I keep thinking Kari Lehtonen is a promising young goalie who just hasn't quite reached his potential.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Assessments like this give Leafs fans bad name. Kovy is great all around player. His takeaways and back checks are second to none. Come on now, he is far removed from old Kovy of past. Not that I'm advocating for signing him unless it costs very little in trade with nj. Only concern there with him and Radulov that they might want to run their own show, but it's young Leafs that should lead this team going forward.

speaking in generalties give Leaf fans a bad name. i take offence to whay you are saying. how do you know what kind of player kiovalchuk is now? do you watch KHL games?>

he does not fit the mold of what the team is doing right now. he would rock the boat in my opinion. this is a team of rookeis, let them take the puick and skate.

in the end he will not end up here no matter what the fans think, he is not a fit within the shanaplan. think what you want, i'll think what i want and we'll see who's right5 in the end.

EDIT - hoping for kovalcuh is old school impatient leaf fan mentality, trying to swing for a home run when it isn't needed. learn to pay your dues leaf fans, patience and growing with a developing team is what team management is doing and they';re not goint to take an extrremem curve fpor a giuuy whp hans't even played in the nhl for about 4 yearw or whatever it is

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I love this his rights won't go for much stuff

If this guy is as good as people on here are making him out to be he won't be traded cheap
NJ will have the entire league interested in the guy how does a good player who can score in a league that struggles for scoring go cheap?

This team needs defence and is going to be butting it's head up against the cap next season fix the problem that needs to be fixed before all else

I don't care who your forwards are you are not going to win anything with only 3 top 4 defenseman and that's not magically changing anytime soon

right. but you are missing the secondary point. if you trade JVR and other assets for defense. we've lost offensive help. the reason why it was offset this year IS because we scored. If we move JVR (and Bozak) that's a LOT of points gone, and who exactly is replacing that? You can't just go "Kapenen, Leipsic, Insert Minor Player here"

Not everyone in the League could be in a position to gain Kolvachuk. IF it's expensive, then you don't go for it (and I never said go all in). it shouldn't be that expensive. but the team shouldn't continue to fix the forwards, simply because "it looks good now." that's like saying we shouldn't draft offense either because we have depth. You ALWAYS want to have depth. then you are in the drivers seat.

we can't NOT make moves simply because we'll be up against the cap next year. you make prudent ones. two years on older offense, trade JVR etc for younger-ish defense, and make adjustments when necessary.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Kovalchuk could still score 30 in this league.

I think we may see a bidding war this off season unless he is very picky about his list of teams

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
right. but you are missing the secondary point. if you trade JVR and other assets for defense. we've lost offensive help. the reason why it was offset this year IS because we scored. If we move JVR (and Bozak) that's a LOT of points gone, and who exactly is replacing that? You can't just go "Kapenen, Leipsic, Insert Minor Player here"

Not everyone in the League could be in a position to gain Kolvachuk. IF it's expensive, then you don't go for it (and I never said go all in). it shouldn't be that expensive. but the team shouldn't continue to fix the forwards, simply because "it looks good now." that's like saying we shouldn't draft offense either because we have depth. You ALWAYS want to have depth. then you are in the drivers seat.

we can't NOT make moves simply because we'll be up against the cap next year. you make prudent ones. two years on older offense, trade JVR etc for younger-ish defense, and make adjustments when necessary.

Kapanen is a 2 way player who at the moment could quite comfortably play up the lineup
Even if he doesn't work out you still have Leivo Leipsic Rychel who can play on that line and that's not even taking Johnsson into account (he's been bloody good) or Grundstrom or Korshkov who will come over to NA shortly and our new FA signing
They are all options and cheap which is going to be necessary with over 5M in bonuses tacked onto next years cap already
Bozak is another matter he should not be traded unless something good is coming back the other way he's a 55 point center that wins faceoffs
They don't grow on trees

All I will say on Kovalchuk is this
What do you think Montreal would be willing to do for a guy like him after there success with Radulov this season?
They have a late first a ton of defensive prospects and an old win now team
That's who you will be fighting with in all probability and there desperate
It's hard to see how he will be cheap

JVR won't get a top-flight defenseman
It's going to be expensive even with the expansion draft around the corner and every asset we have should go towards that
Unless of course we put one of Kadri Nylander or Marner on the table which would not go down well
Even a so-so defenseman will cost a reasonable amount be it Trade or UFA

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kovalchuk is better than JVR.

Not sure why you wouldn't want him, if we can move Bozak and other assets to improve the D.

Just getting a decent top 4 defenseman is going to make our eyes water
It's going to take everything we've got just to fix that glaring hole

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Ilya Kovalchuk

Just curious what you guys think about this for next year.

Does he fit? In terms of culture, team need, cost.

I was thinking that Babcock wouldn't want him, at this point we could say hes an upgrade on josh leivo offensively but he wouldnt compete as hard.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
culture I don't know but he'd be the type of guy we should be after...talented older player that could be had for a term of 3 years or less.

if we take advantage of our cheap big 3 we could really stack the lineup for the next couple of seasons.

Probably comes down to does Lou think it's a good idea or not.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad