2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't see much changing with the forwards. Who is going to leave? The only person I see possibly being moved is JVR. Getting rid of Bozak is very risky in terms of centre depth. Hyman, Nylander, Marner, Komorov, Brown and Martin all seem like locks to be brought back on the wing. Only real spot I see up for grabs is the RW spot on the 4th line and possibly a scoring line LW spot if JVR is moved.

I think there will be minor changes on D, but it will be mostly with the 5-6 guys. I can actually see Polak back as a 6/7/8 though. He's still effective and the only guy of the group that plays physical. My bet is we sign one guy who will play on the bottom pair, and then have competition for someone from the Marlies to step into a bottom pair spot. If nobody steps up, the the FA signing and Polak are your bottom pair.

I would be surprised if JVR is back. I can see Bozak gone too. Maybe a 10% chance of Leo being gone if they got a good offer. Leipsic plays a similar style, so Leo could be expendable. Martin could be snagged in expansion if LV prefers to add more expensive bottom 6 players than a potential albatross like Bobby Ryan for example. Though, I still wonder if Lou knows McPhee will take Eric Fehr.

Overall, I see our forwards like this;

Hyman - Matthews - XXXX
XXXXX - Nylander - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - XXXXX - Soshnikov

4C - No real contest. Option 1 will be Brian Boyle. Option 2 is Frederik Gauthier. Option 3 is likely Aaltonen, but we're hoping Boyle is back, or Gauthier shows hes ready full-time (he did look good when he was up [minus possession numbers though])

1RW - Bit Tougher. I think it's Kapanen's spot to lose, to re-create the Matthews-Nylander from this season. Other option obviously is keeping Bozak and Nylander staying as a winger for the foreseeable future. Another option? Connor Brown moving up. He did see some time with Matthews and Hyman this season

2LW - Pretty much an open spot. Leivo and Leipsic could both fill this spot very well. I think Babcock will like Leipsic's tenacity on the puck, so I see him having a slight edge. I can also see Leivo being an intriguing player to other teams in a trade. Again, if Leo is moved, then Leivo takes the spot on the Kadri line, and Leipsic takes the Nylander/Bozak line. Or, Brown takes 1RW, and Leivo slots in, in his spot.

Overall, while the forwards are generally set, there will be movement. The likely hood of Leo, Bozak AND JVR all being back is really low IMO

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would be surprised if JVR is back. I can see Bozak gone too. Maybe a 10% chance of Leo being gone if they got a good offer. Leipsic plays a similar style, so Leo could be expendable. Martin could be snagged in expansion if LV prefers to add more expensive bottom 6 players than a potential albatross like Bobby Ryan for example. Though, I still wonder if Lou knows McPhee will take Eric Fehr.

Hyman - Matthews - XXXX
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

4C - No real contest. Option 1 will be Brian Boyle. Option 2 is Frederik Gauthier. Option 3 is likely Aaltonen, but we're hoping Boyle is back, or Gauthier shows hes ready full-time (he did look good when he was up [minus possession numbers though])

1RW - Bit Tougher. I think it's Kapanen's spot to lose, to re-create the Matthews-Nylander from this season. Other option obviously is keeping Bozak and Nylander staying as a winger for the foreseeable future. Another option? Connor Brown moving up. He did see some time with Matthews and Hyman this season

2LW - Pretty much an open spot. Leivo and Leipsic could both fill this spot very well. I think Babcock will like Leipsic's tenacity on the puck, so I see him having a slight edge. I can also see Leivo being an intriguing player to other teams in a trade. Again, if Leo is moved, then Leivo takes the spot on the Kadri line, and Leipsic takes the Nylander/Bozak line. Or, Brown takes 1RW, and Leivo slots in, in his spot.

Overall, while the forwards are generally set, there will be movement. The likely hood of Leo, Bozak AND JVR all being back is really low IMO

I wouldn't worry too much about his low possession stats.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Hyman - Matthews - XXXX
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

You have Hyman and Matthews together again next season?

I see JVR back more then Bozak...so i'll go for that in this scenario...

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Rychel-Nylander-Kapanen
Martin-Boyle-Hyman
Leivo, Soshnikov

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick
Marchenko

Seems drastic to drop Hyman that low but I didn't see a fit to get him higher in the line up without bumping someone down who didn't deserve to be there although I think I'm probably a lot higher on Rychel then most in here.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't worry too much about his low possession stats.

Why not? Gauthier wasn't that good when he came up, he was one of the worst forwards in the NHL. He's got size and talent but we need to be patient. He's not ready, might not be for another year or two.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I feel like we have to trade jvr this offseason, he's a big body but really doesn't cause much if any havoc with it at all. He's not really a huge bet presence... he doesn't win a lot of board battles/let alone involve himself in them...he doesn't cycle well, etc etc. I used to think... well he is the only size we got in our top 6....but the reality is, he's big but plays smaller than marner. So why does it matter? You see the kind of problems Boyle gives opposing teams.... Martin can be a handful... jvr doesn't cause any issues. Even his pp presence consists of standing to the side of the net and trying to get off a very low danger shot short side, where he needs to roof it to score. Just this past game the leafs had all kinds of pp pressure and he got the puck behind the net, and made a very feeble wraparound attempt that was poked into the slot easily and iced. It was ridiculous and was a very low percentage play.

He's a similar player to bobby ryan, except has better linemates and is gravy fed offensive time. Put him on a line without much talent and he'd be lucky to crack 45 points.

In the past he's played very well in the playoffs, so if we get there it will be interesting to see how he does.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Gauthier is a physical specimen. He literally was bowling over veterans when he was up last time. He may not have looked great but I'd say he looked at least 50% better than last year. He even was dropping the gloves and didn't look like a fool doing it either.

It's nice that he's not waiver eligible next season because I'd say another year of growing and spot service before seeing the final product the following season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't see much changing with the forwards. Who is going to leave? The only person I see possibly being moved is JVR. Getting rid of Bozak is very risky in terms of centre depth. Hyman, Nylander, Marner, Komorov, Brown and Martin all seem like locks to be brought back on the wing. Only real spot I see up for grabs is the RW spot on the 4th line and possibly a scoring line LW spot if JVR is moved.

I think there will be minor changes on D, but it will be mostly with the 5-6 guys. I can actually see Polak back as a 6/7/8 though. He's still effective and the only guy of the group that plays physical. My bet is we sign one guy who will play on the bottom pair, and then have competition for someone from the Marlies to step into a bottom pair spot. If nobody steps up, the the FA signing and Polak are your bottom pair.

Management is going to have to do something with the forwards. Cause with Rychel, Kapanen, Leipsic, Levio (though I think has sailed with babcock) will be NHL ready and pushing for jobs.

Mirtle seems to think Bozak is moved this offseason, so if that might open a spot if it happens. Times like this I hate that Martin contract though maybe they trade Sosh too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gauthier is a physical specimen. He literally was bowling over veterans when he was up last time. He may not have looked great but I'd say he looked at least 50% better than last year. He even was dropping the gloves and didn't look like a fool doing it either.

It's nice that he's not waiver eligible next season because I'd say another year of growing and spot service before seeing the final product the following season.

I'm still pretty skeptical of him turning into a full time NHler. The fact that management moved a 2nd round pick to bring in a vet I think is pretty telling they don't think he's ready.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Management is going to have to do something with the forwards. Cause with Rychel, Kapanen, Leipsic, Levio (though I think has sailed with babcock) will be NHL ready and pushing for jobs.

Mirtle seems to think Bozak is moved this offseason, so if that might open a spot if it happens. Times like this I hate that Martin contract though maybe they trade Sosh too.

Realistically none of the Marlies you mentioned have done anything to warrant moving an existing player out of the lineup. I would say it's more likely we move a couple AHL wingers either for picks or to gain organizational depth on the Blueline. Of course it depends on their contractual status. If a guy can still be sent down, then you can keep them down there until they play better than a regular in the lineup.

I don't think Mirtle is any type of source of info as to what management is planning. I have always thought is silly to move Bozak until you are sure Nylander can shift to the middle. There is literally zero rush to move Bozak. I don't even think it's on their radar at this point. I'm a big believer in you don't make moves like that unless you know you have someone ready to take their spot. Even moving JVR is risky, how many guys in our system can replace his production?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Realistically none of the Marlies you mentioned have done anything to warrant moving an existing player out of the lineup. I would say it's more likely we move a couple AHL wingers either for picks or to gain organizational depth on the Blueline. Of course it depends on their contractual status. If a guy can still be sent down, then you can keep them down there until they play better than a regular in the lineup.

I don't think Mirtle is any type of source of info as to what management is planning. I have always thought is silly to move Bozak until you are sure Nylander can shift to the middle. There is literally zero rush to move Bozak. I don't even think it's on their radar at this point. I'm a big believer in you don't make moves like that unless you know you have someone ready to take their spot. Even moving JVR is risky, how many guys in our system can replace his production?

Personally I'd disagree that some of those AHl guys not being ready - with a guy like JVR or Bozak you can counter balance that a bit by scoring by committee. I like all of those AHl guys defensively than either JVR/Bozak: ie a 35-40ish point Kapanen whose solid defensively is likely worth 50 points from a poor defensive player.

It would be nice if Babcock didn't have to shelter one of his scoring lines so much - and the only way to do that is getting rid of one or both JVR/Bozak.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Personally I'd disagree that some of those AHl guys not being ready - with a guy like JVR or Bozak you can counter balance that a bit by scoring by committee. I like all of those AHl guys defensively than either JVR/Bozak: ie a 35-40ish point Kapanen whose solid defensively is likely worth 50 points from a poor defensive player.

It would be nice if Babcock didn't have to shelter one of his scoring lines so much - and the only way to do that is getting rid of one or both JVR/Bozak.

I am not a believer in the scoring by committee thing. You don't divide ice time equally among all players. You need certain players to produce more than others. It would be great if Bozak and JVR we're better defensively, but if you lose both, our PP goes from elite to likely middle of the pack. On top of that you lose your best centreman before knowing if the guy you would like to replace him one day can do the job.

Kapanen has only played two games, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who has enough offensive skill to take JVRs spot on one of the scoring lines and especially not yet on the PP. Could he develop more over time? Of course, but I wouldn't risk next season on him taking a giant leap. I would rather have him compete with guys like Leivo and Soshnikov for a bottom 6 role and let him work his way up the lineup over time. He strikes me more of a guy who one day could replace Hyman with Matthews, but I need to see his work on the boards more to make that call. Plus Matthews and Hyman seem to work together, so I wouldn't be in a rush to break up that combo.

I also wouldn't want to be in a spot where we have a bunch of low end forwards throughout the lineup, and then it becomes easier for teams to key in on say Matthews line, and shut him down. I like how things are set up now, every line is a threat to score. If for example Nylander moves to the mid way through next year, then you have a winger spot open up on a scoring line. Either Brown moves up in the lineup, or maybe that's where a guy like Kapanen takes on a bigger role.

I'm not completely against moving guys like JVR or Bozak, but it would have to be a really sweetheart deal.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Boyle - Soshnikov
Leivo
-Rychel/Leipsic

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
-Marchenko/Nielsen

34Matthews

Oct 3, 2013
I think Pollack is a perfect #6 dman. tough, physical and can actually skate, no need to move a guy like that, great fit in his current role as a veteran.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Friedman said this morning that he doesn't think Leafs will have that much interest in Shattenkirk. [Cor's Note: I think it's a we'll sign you at our price type thing]

He also said that he thinks the trade market will be unbelievable this summer. He says teams are saying the names that will be in play this summer is going to be incredible

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Friedman said this morning that he doesn't think Leafs will have that much interest in Shattenkirk. [Cor's Note: I think it's a we'll sign you at our price type thing]

He also said that he thinks the trade market will be unbelievable this summer. He says teams are saying the names that will be in play this summer is going to be incredible

Shouldn't surprise anybody - expansion is such a unique situation, it should be an exciting offseason to say the least

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He said some interesting things about the Leafs this morning as well. Talked about the RFAs and JVR more specifically. Seems like it'll be a tough decision with JVR.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-explores-leafs-potential-mindset-moving-forward/

“JVR – I think it’s going to be interesting. The Maple Leafs, because of the salary cap and the way it goes with your entry-level contracts, at some point the Maple Leafs are going to have to sit down and say, ‘Are we going for it the next two years.’ And I think the answer has to be yes because you know you’re never going to have these guys making this salary again.

“So my question is do you keep van Riemsdyk because you like his goal scoring and say, ‘Okay, we’ll take the chance of losing him for nothing, but we’ll take the salary it opens up when he leaves. Or do we trade him for something and say we can’t lose him for nothing, or we could flip him for something else we need.’

“It’s going to be a big decision for them.”

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He said some interesting things about the Leafs this morning as well. Talked about the RFAs and JVR more specifically. Seems like it'll be a tough decision with JVR.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-explores-leafs-potential-mindset-moving-forward/

Agree that's the decision going on. I think ultimately what happens is they keep him for next year and see where this team goes. I don't believe there will be any offers for JVR for a good young D. Then next off season you make a call on keeping JVR long term based on his ask and what's coming up from the farm to replace him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Agree that's the decision going on. I think ultimately what happens is they keep him for next year and see where this team goes. I don't believe there will be any offers for JVR for a good young D. Then next off season you make a call on keeping JVR long term based on his ask and what's coming up from the farm to replace him.

He's to valuable to let walk for free

You either keep him with the premise your going to resign him or you deal him (futures would bring in the best return)
I'd trade him I think he's not worth a long term commitment being as one dimensional as he is and our prospect pool being wing heavy

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You will likely not get replacement production (offensively) with one of the prospects in place of JVR - especially in the short term (long term maybe), but you'll likely get improved defensive play to help reduce goals against.

Cannot discount the potential improvement in the other end of the rink when assessing the situation.

The same could be said for Bozak if there is belief that Nylander can finally bring that effort at both ends of the rink every night. That's a larger gamble but it's either next season or the season after that the Leafs are going to have to make the bold change and run with it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You will likely not get replacement production (offensively) with one of the prospects in place of JVR - especially in the short term (long term maybe), but you'll likely get improved defensive play to help reduce goals against.

Cannot discount the potential improvement in the other end of the rink when assessing the situation.

The same could be said for Bozak if there is belief that Nylander can finally bring that effort at both ends of the rink every night. That's a larger gamble but it's either next season or the season after that the Leafs are going to have to make the bold change and run with it.

Leivo! Leivo! Leivo!

honestly might be right in the same ballpark immediately, and probably a better all around player....we're only gonna know when we try...

Connor Brown probably contributes a little more next year, and likely that Matthews/Marner do as well. To me it doesn't look that concerning if we gamble on a JVR replacement, and I was in the opposite camp around Christmas

Palmateer

Routine kick save
Jan 27, 2012
Disagree with Friedman thinking JVR is going to be a tough decision.

Put someone else on a line with Marner, give them loads of ice time, as well as unlimited PP opportunities, and I'd imagine quite a number of players around the NHL (or even amongst our own ranks) could score 20-25 goals in those conditions and ... and actually offer the team some effort, defense, and tenacity.

JVR often seems to me like he doesn't even care. Just punching his time-card.

Not difficult to move on from a player like that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I say Bozak is easier to move but I am more on the move JVR for a defenseman train then for keeping him.

We all know defense is the issue, let's not take like 8 years to figure it out like Edmonton.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
We're also supposed to be the frontrunner on Vladimir Tkachyov who could be our #4C next season.

The rumours about the trade market this summer are interesting. We have a fair bit to work with, if that is in fact the case. Something's got to give with Leipsic, Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson and Rychel all knocking at the door.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario

I couldn't disagree more with Friedman. The extra cap space due to ELCs is meaningless for the next year because there is very little to spend it on. Certainly nothing that would make the Leafs cup contenders and justify letting JVR hit free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad