WJC: 2017 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
now that a month or so has passed since originally looking at this team - a few things have changed for me from my original roster :

Matthew Tkachuk - Colin White - Brock Boeser
Kieffer Bellows - Clayton Keller - Jack Roslovic
Max Jones - Kailer Yamamoto - Alex DeBrincat
Tage Thompson - Luke Kunin - Christian Fischer
Tommy Novak

Zach Werenski - Caleb Jones
Charlie McAvoy - Cam Dineen
Chad Krys - Ryan Lindgren
Andrew Peeke

Luke Opilka
Tyler Parsons

Overall this team is loaded offensively. I left Tufte off until I see him produce at the NCAA level. Just so much talent that players like Tufte, Yan, Bracco, Foley, Warren, Gettinger, etc..simply are in for the fight of their lives to just crack the eval camp roster.

I really really like this defense. Very mobile and offensively skilled with some bruisers sprinkled in. A ton of names will be in the mix like Fox, Martin, Foote, Rossini, Fitzgerald, etc. We are much better off this year on defense than this past tournament with depth.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
now that a month or so has passed since originally looking at this team - a few things have changed for me from my original roster :

Tommy Novak

Andrew Peeke

Luke Opilka
Tyler Parsons

Overall this team is loaded offensively. I left Tufte off until I see him produce at the NCAA level. Just so much talent that players like Tufte, Yan, Bracco, Foley, Warren, Gettinger, etc..simply are in for the fight of their lives to just crack the eval camp roster.

I really really like this defense. Very mobile and offensively skilled with some bruisers sprinkled in. A ton of names will be in the mix like Fox, Martin, Foote, Rossini, Fitzgerald, etc. We are much better off this year on defense than this past tournament with depth.

It's all going to depend on coaching staff but i think you missed a few guys that will be there in the end.

Can't leave Fitzgerald out of back end, he was really good at evaluation camp. right shot puck movers are hard to find.

Debrincat used up his free pass, he was totally underwhelming on past years team. he will have to earn a spot. Don't think he will make it.

Greenway, your biggest omission ( literally ), will be there for sure, he's starting to perform like some of us think he can. The best of the power forwards imo.

Sleeper .... Troy Terry, he's developing very well at Denver and is playing better every game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Likely no Matthews, there's a chance Werenski, White and Tkachuk will also be in the NHL, but right now I think they probably will play in this tournament. I'm going to say Wise makes this team, something Matthews and Eichel both did a season before their draft year.

Tkachuk-White-Boeser
Roslovic-Keller-Jones
Bellows-Yamamoto-Debrincat
Tufte-Kunin-Thompson
Wise

Werenski-McAvoy
Krys-Jones
Dineen-Foote
Lindgren

Opilka
Oettinger
Parsons

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's all going to depend on coaching staff but i think you missed a few guys that will be there in the end.

Can't leave Fitzgerald out of back end, he was really good at evaluation camp. right shot puck movers are hard to find.

Debrincat used up his free pass, he was totally underwhelming on past years team. he will have to earn a spot. Don't think he will make it.

Greenway, your biggest omission ( literally ), will be there for sure, he's starting to perform like some of us think he can. The best of the power forwards imo.

Sleeper .... Troy Terry, he's developing very well at Denver and is playing better every game.

anything can happen no doubt.

a lot of names all hovering around each other especially on defense. I hope Greenway continues to step up as he practically fell off a cliff last year from his high ranking.

I am a big fan of Terry. I have been talking about him in numerous threads as I think he is the best kid on that Denver team, over Shore and Moore. He definitely is a name to consider but just so much competition there not sure how it shakes out.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Another sleeper to keep an eye on is Rem Pitlick. Tearing up the USHL this year, if he can hit the ground running at Minnesota he may have a shot.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Another sleeper to keep an eye on is Rem Pitlick. Tearing up the USHL this year, if he can hit the ground running at Minnesota he may have a shot.

I like Pitlick a lot. Only seen him in about 5 USHL games but his speed is tremendous, has an accurate and deadly shot as well. He impressed in the USHL top prospects game too. Lots of names to watch for.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
"crazy thing is that unlike Canada who IMO is going to field a team possibly less skilled than this years, the US might get even better overall even with the loss of Matthews and possibly Werenski and Tkachuk. Early no doubt and still focused on this year, just want to give all the US fans even more positive news to look forward to and the rest of the world something to fear again!!"

The new era of Junior hockey.
take Ekblad, Fabbri, Mccann, Bennett, and McDavid form the 2015-16 version of Team Canada

We'll see what happens with the next USA team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll be curious to see what direction Logan Brown goes in. He straddled the fence this year (Canada/U.S.)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'll be curious to see what direction Logan Brown goes in. He straddled the fence this year (Canada/U.S.)

I would imagine it'll hinge on whether Windsor gets knocked out of the OHL playoffs early or not. If so, he's got a good chance to lock into Team Canada. If not, who knows if he makes either Team USA or Team Canada for a WJC, but I'd imagine he'd at least be at Team USA's WJC camp this summer if he's still available.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It seems kind of crazy that a kids event ( U18, U20) can lock him in in as an adult.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Likely no Matthews, there's a chance Werenski, White and Tkachuk will also be in the NHL, but right now I think they probably will play in this tournament. I'm going to say Wise makes this team, something Matthews and Eichel both did a season before their draft year.

I would love to see Wise earn his way onto this team, but there is a pretty big thing working against him that wasn't working against Eichel and Matthews and that's that Wise isn't a late birthday. The first U20 tourney Eichel played, he was technically just a regular underager since he was born in late '96. Same deal for Mathews. Wise was born in February, so he would be a true double underager.

Nice to have Logan Brown as an option either at C or on the wing. Him and Keller could make a decent one-two punch in a year where I don't really think any of the top nations have great forwards up front, assuming Puljujarvi and Laine are in the NHL (I suspect they will be).

dwanmaster*

I would love to see Wise earn his way onto this team, but there is a pretty big thing working against him that wasn't working against Eichel and Matthews and that's that Wise isn't a late birthday. The first U20 tourney Eichel played, he was technically just a regular underager since he was born in late '96. Same deal for Mathews. Wise was born in February, so he would be a true double underager.

Nice to have Logan Brown as an option either at C or on the wing. Him and Keller could make a decent one-two punch in a year where I don't really think any of the top nations have great forwards up front, assuming Puljujarvi and Laine are in the NHL (I suspect they will be).

Mittelstadt will fill the underager role

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
His birthday month in itself is not "a pretty big thing". American hockey is mostly aged ~August-July so they will have probably played about the same number of years of hockey.

The thing that'll be tough is that he'll be in his first year with the NTDP still because of that birth month.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Logan Brown

Andrew Peeke

Luke Opilka
Tyler Parsons

have to add Brown now as he would make an exciting 13th forward with his skillset and size. I am sure USA Hockey is pumped to have him, I am also happy to see all the draft sites that now have to switch that flag over to old glory next to Brown's name! :laugh:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Logan Brown

Andrew Peeke

Luke Opilka
Tyler Parsons

have to add Brown now as he would make an exciting 13th forward with his skillset and size. I am sure USA Hockey is pumped to have him, I am also happy to see all the draft sites that now have to switch that flag over to old glory next to Brown's name! :laugh:

That is a good looking roster. First of all, i know you might be pumped to have Brown, but the thing i never understood was why Brown- a guy born and raised in the US, and spent the first 16 years of his life in the US all of a sudden wanted to play for Canada? Never understood that. He should always have been playing for the US. If Canada did not cut him from the Ivan Hlinka team last year, he still would have probably played for Canada going forward.

Actually, there is a lot of things that confuse me about dual citizens. I do not understand, how a presidential candidate named Ted Cruz, born in Canada (and spent the first 4 years of his life in Canada) to a Cuban Father and American Mother, meets the "Natural Born Citizen" criteria of the US constitution (only gave up his Canadian Citizenship in 2014 before he was planning on running). It is what it is. Good for Brown going forward. Frankly, Chychrun like his buddy Brown, should play for the US as well. Looking at this projected roster, i think the US will be the favourite for Gold next year.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Actually, there is a lot of things that confuse me about dual citizens. I do not understand, how a presidential candidate named Ted Cruz, born in Canada (and spent the first 4 years of his life in Canada) to a Cuban Father and American Mother, meets the "Natural Born Citizen" criteria of the US constitution (only gave up his Canadian Citizenship in 2014 before he was planning on running). It is what it is. Good for Brown going forward. Frankly, Chychrun like his buddy Brown, should play for the US as well. Looking at this projected roster, i think the US will be the favourite for Gold next year.[/QUOTE]

All well and good but you do understand that the 23 American NHL teams and the many American based minor leagues teams are contributing players to US hockey programs. Players that are born to hockey playing dads. Not just Canadian but from other countries as well.

The current USA U18 team has at least 4. Bellows will likely play with the U20 team. 6 duals not counting Bode Wilde on the youth oylmpic team.

It will be pretty tough for anyone else to compete in international hockey. Who says that genetics, affluence and opportunity aren't involved.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
All well and good but you do understand that the 23 American NHL teams and the many American based minor leagues teams are contributing players to US hockey programs. Players that are born to hockey playing dads. Not just Canadian but from other countries as well.

The current USA U18 team has at least 4. Bellows will likely play with the U20 team. 6 duals not counting Bode Wilde on the youth oylmpic team.

It will be pretty tough for anyone else to compete in international hockey. Who says that genetics, affluence and opportunity aren't involved.[/QUOTE]

I do not what your point is. Guys like Logan Brown and Bellows are Americans. They were born in the U.S., and should be playing for Team USA. Their fathers being Canadian is irrelevant. Not sure what you are trying to say, but at the end of the day, those kids are Americans.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I do not know what your point is. Guys like Logan Brown and Bellows are Americans. They were born in the U.S., and should be playing for Team USA. Their fathers being Canadian is irrelevant. Not sure what you are trying to say, but at the end of the day, those kids are Americans.

it is his continued bat **** crazy shtick that he dumps everywhere he posts. I prefer to stay out of Canada threads if I don't have anything positive to say, wish others would use the same tact.

Last edited:

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
If the Yamamoto Mittestadt Brown line sticks and dominates the U18, maybe we see it again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad