WC: 2017 Team Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No NHLers in olympics 2018.

I guess players like Joakim Lindström, Oscar Möller, Robert Nilsson etc will play this world championship now. This is their chance to get a spot on Olympics. No chance in hell they dont want to play in Olympics, it will be the biggest thing they done in life.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
You might be right. I think however now that competition for a spot has been lower there might only be necessary to do a good karjala and channel one cup to make it to the Olympics.

I wonder how many NHLers will find whc this year interesting now that no Olympic spots are at stake?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You might be right. I think however now that competition for a spot has been lower there might only be necessary to do a good karjala and channel one cup to make it to the Olympics.

I wonder how many NHLers will find whc this year interesting now that no Olympic spots are at stake?

I'd actually take that thought one step further and wonder if NHL players get more interested in the WCH without the Olympics being available. If not you're basically finished with your NT career.

felixpettersson

Dec 16, 2016
Gothenburg
I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that all the Nashville guys are positive towards going if they get eliminated in the first round. That would be huge.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Will NHL players play in the Euro Hockey Tour? I could see a team like this playing in that tournament:

Landeskog - Söderberg - Nyquist
Nilsson - Rask - Lindholm
Möller - Sundström - Lindström
Everberg - Lundqvist - F.Pettersson

Nilsson is a better version of Omark/Klasen. He is skilled like them but much more gritty. Remember the chemistry Lundqvist and Pettersson had? Give them powerforward Everberg and we have a nice checking line.

Oel - Klingberg
Kronwall - Hersley
Bertilsson - Borgman

There is no doubt that Bertilsson and Borgman is ahead of Ahnelöv, Rundblad, Gustafsson etc for the moment. That 3rd pairing would be so much fun to watch.

Lehner
Nilsson
Alsenfeldt

Markström is injured.

Then there is possibilty to get players from NHL playoffs. But even with this team we can atleast get a bronze in the World Championship.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Grönborg needs all the players he can get from NHL to make him look good.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
FWIW Grönborg said in the TV studio that Hedman, Strålman, Klingberg and OEL all were positive towards playing earlier in the season.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
FWIW Grönborg said in the TV studio that Hedman, Strålman, Klingberg and OEL all were positive towards playing earlier in the season.

Now in the second intermission he said that 7 or 8 NHL players have accepted their invite and are pending a medical check.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

In their exit interviews today, Strålman sounded very positive towards playing and mentioned something about a medical check and Hedman mentioned the possibility but said that he hadn't talked to anyone from Sweden yet.

If Strålman ends up going, chances are very good that Hedman will go too.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Now in the second intermission he said that 7 or 8 NHL players have accepted their invite and are pending a medical check.

Which means 4 or 5 of these might be OUT! :eek:

John Klingberg (D) Dallas Stars 80 13 36 49 0.61 34 2
Oliver Ekman Larsson (D) Arizona Coyotes 79 12 27 39 0.49 48 -25
Gabriel Landeskog (LW) Colorado Avalanche 72 18 15 33 0.46 62 -25
Anton Strålman (D) Tampa Bay Lightning 73 5 17 22 0.30 20 1
Carl Söderberg (C/LW) Colorado Avalanche 80 6 8 14 0.18 22 -26

Anders Nilsson Buffalo Sabres 26 2.67 .923
Robin Lehner Buffalo Sabres 59 2.68 .920

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Well done Zetterberg! Winner of the over 35 scoring race!

1. Henrik Zetterberg (C) Detroit Red Wings 82 17 51 68 0.83 22 15
2. Radim Vrbata (RW) Arizona Coyotes 81 20 35 55 0.68 16 -18
3. Henrik Sedin (C) Vancouver Canucks 82 15 36 51 0.62 28 -27
4. Joe Thornton (C) San Jose Sharks 79 7 43 50 0.63 51 7
5. Justin Williams (RW) Washington Capitals 80 24 24 48 0.60 50 14
6. Patrick Marleau (LW) San Jose Sharks 82 27 19 46 0.56 28 4
7. Jaromír Jágr (RW) Florida Panthers 82 16 30 46 0.56 56 2
8. Marián Hossa (RW) Chicago Blackhawks 73 26 19 45 0.62 8 7
9. Daniel Sedin (LW) Vancouver Canucks 82 15 29 44 0.54 32 -16
10. Mike Fisher (C) Nashville Predators 72 18 24 42 0.58 55 1

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If I had to speculate about those 7-8 names it would probably be:
Hedman - Makes sense, had a great season and wasn't his fault they missed playoffs.
Strålman - Package deal with Hedman, but he's usually showed up when given a chance.
Klingberg - Basically said straight up he's going as long as he's invited.
E. Lindholm - Finished well, probably looking to play some more.
Rask - Bit of a packade deal here aswell, this year he has a contract in place.
Nyquist - Because why not.
Edler - Been a while since he played any meaningful hockey.
Lehner* - Invited and likely wants to play but needs a new contract first.

That would leave outside:
OEL - With sad death of his mother, I'd expect his mind to be somewhere else right now.
Landeskog - As the captain of a sinking ship, I don't expect him to go.
Söderberg - Has not shown any willingness before to play in WCH, was also terrible this year.
Nilsson - Similar situation to Lehner.
Läck - Don't think they view him as better than the options in Europe, his season was bad and he had some late injury struggles aswell.

One potentially invited but not talked about much could also be Nordström. Can certainly play a checking or 3rd wheel role on this team.

There's plenty enough players potentially going out in the 1st round to add another 5-6. Preferably guys like Forsberg, Arvidsson and Wennberg.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
If I had to speculate about those 7-8 names it would probably be:
Hedman - Makes sense, had a great season and wasn't his fault they missed playoffs.
Strålman - Package deal with Hedman, but he's usually showed up when given a chance.
Klingberg - Basically said straight up he's going as long as he's invited.
E. Lindholm - Finished well, probably looking to play some more.
Rask - Bit of a packade deal here aswell, this year he has a contract in place.
Nyquist - Because why not.
Edler - Been a while since he played any meaningful hockey.
Lehner* - Invited and likely wants to play but needs a new contract first.

That would leave outside:
OEL - With sad death of his mother, I'd expect his mind to be somewhere else right now.
Landeskog - As the captain of a sinking ship, I don't expect him to go.
Söderberg - Has not shown any willingness before to play in WCH, was also terrible this year.
Nilsson - Similar situation to Lehner.
Läck - Don't think they view him as better than the options in Europe, his season was bad and he had some late injury struggles aswell.

One potentially invited but not talked about much could also be Nordström. Can certainly play a checking or 3rd wheel role on this team.

There's plenty enough players potentially going out in the 1st round to add another 5-6. Preferably guys like Forsberg, Arvidsson and Wennberg.

Ekholm is another darling of the federation, coming off a great season. Possible additions after round 1:

Most likely additions
Nylander - Great season, known by Grönborg from the junior team.
Ekholm - Great in his last WHC, a sweetheart of the federation.
Forsberg - See Ekholm/Nylander.
Arvidsson - Packaged with Forsberg after his 30 goal season.
Wennberg - Center to lead the PP1 unit coming of a breakout season. CBJ may very well beat out Pittsburgh also, so no guarantee he will even be available

The Pittsburgh duo will likely not accept an invitation after the long season last year, and injuries following Hagelin. I also cant see anyone from Washington coming after what would be a monumental disappointment in being eliminated by Toronto.

I have no idea how the Edmonton duo, Brodin, or Anaheim trio would think. I guess H. Lindholm and Rakell have never been to the WHC, so they might want to go. I could see Adam Larsson go as well

I think usually the team leaves 3-4 spots open for round 1 exits to join? I have to imagine if they get a package deal like the Nashville or Anaheim trio (2F + 1D) they just take it and run with it. If better players happen to be available later (like Karlsson) that is a loss they just are willing to accept at that point.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Is Nordström there as a tryout, or has he been promised a spot on the whc team?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Seems like all three Carolina forwards, Nordström, Lindholm and Rask are added to the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad