Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Happy to see others high on Strand. I really like him, I thought he would've been worth a late round pick in the draft. He is very solid in my eyes.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
6'2 and 159 lbs? That young man needs some meat on his bones. :)

Strand is both his name, and his physical description.

Elite Prospect is great for any things, but they are awful for accurate heights and weights. Strand is much larger than that. WHL website (most accurate source for heaights and weights) has him at 6'4 193. He's got really nice size.

Either way though, he's not that physical. He is just a really solid 2-way guy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Elite Prospect is great for any things, but they are awful for accurate heights and weights. Strand is much larger than that. WHL website (most accurate source for heaights and weights) has him at 6'4 193. He's got really nice size.

Did he just have a few misconducts with Seattle or something?

His PIMs spiked like crazy after joining them.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Did he just have a few misconducts with Seattle or something?

His PIMs spiked like crazy after joining them.

Jan 14 5 PIM fighting 2PIM Cross Checking
Jan 20 2PIM Hooking
Jan 21 5PIM fighting
Jan 24 2PIM Cross Checking
Jan 27 2PIM slashing
Jan 28 2PIM High sticking
Jan 29 2PIM Interference

Feb 4 2PIM Hooking, 2PIM Roughing, 2PIM Unsportsmanlike Cnd. 2PIM Slashing
Feb 10 2PIM Slashing 2PIM Roughing
Feb 13 2PIM Interference
Feb 14 2PIM Roughing
Feb 19 2PIM Hooking
Feb 26 2PIM Cross Checking

Mar 1 2PIM Roughing
Mar 4 2PIM Hooking
Mar 7 2PIM Interference
Mar 10 2PIM Hooking
Mar 11 2PIM Cross Checking, 2PIM Holding, 2PIM High Sticking
Mar 18 2PIM High Sticking

Last edited:

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Do you know if Tyler Benson is going to be playing?

Was just seeing that Benson was missing part of the WHL preseason for the Giants due to injury:

"Outside of injured left winger Tyler Benson (lower body) and defenceman Bailey Dhaliwal (upper body), the Vancouver Giants will have their entire line-up available for this weekend’s preseason tournament in Everett, according to general manager Glen Hanlon. - The Province, Sep 1, 2017

If this guy doesn't make the Oilers camp due to injury I don't even know what to think about him as a prospect. Man, what an injury history. He has been massively derailed and this is why a first round calibre pick is available in the second round.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

That's better. Typically I don't trust the heights and weights on any of the sites but this case was way out there!!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you know if Tyler Benson is going to be playing?

Was just seeing that Benson was missing part of the WHL preseason for the Giants due to injury:

"Outside of injured left winger Tyler Benson (lower body) and defenceman Bailey Dhaliwal (upper body), the Vancouver Giants will have their entire line-up available for this weekend’s preseason tournament in Everett, according to general manager Glen Hanlon. - The Province, Sep 1, 2017

If this guy doesn't make the Oilers camp due to injury I don't even know what to think about him as a prospect. Man, what an injury history. He has been massively derailed and this is why a first round calibre pick is available in the second round.

He had off season surgery to repair a sports hernia. They may just want to be overly cautious with him given his history. At least I hope this is the case.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Curious why this is, can anyone provide some insight? I would be pretty disappointed if JP wasn't their, needs to show if his game has grown at all from last year.

They were saying he played against men all of last year. Is working to make the big club or will be playing in the AHL. A tourney against a bunch of young rookies won't help him. It can only hurt his confidence if he plays poorly.

(Paraphrasing from memory as it was last week sometime).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
They were saying he played against men all of last year. Is working to make the big club or will be playing in the AHL. A tourney against a bunch of young rookies won't help him. It can only hurt his confidence if he plays poorly.

Could be that, to be a little less fatalistic, I think they've told Puljujarvi to focus on the NHL and Main Camp, because that's where they "see" him, but he'll still have to make the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I agree with this. JP has dominated vs junior aged players in the WJC and U18s. Hes played pro hockey vs men since 17 tho. Kind of a mix message to say "Oh yeah we see you as an NHLer after a solid first AHL rookie season, but hey go play with our 2017 5th round pick and some random invites first". LD played in this tourney after his draft +1 year, but he was coming out of junior and after a poor NHL season. JP atleats has a good AHL rookie season

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I agree with this. JP has dominated vs junior aged players in the WJC and U18s. Hes played pro hockey vs men since 17 tho. Kind of a mix message to say "Oh yeah we see you as an NHLer after a solid first AHL rookie season, but hey go play with our 2017 5th round pick and some random invites first". LD played in this tourney after his draft +1 year, but he was coming out of junior and after a poor NHL season. JP atleats has a good AHL rookie season

I can see the reasoning behind this, maybe I'm just hockey starved :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad