Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
With the Penticton tournament just over a week away from starting I figured it would be a good time to get a thread going for it and rookie camp. Here is the Oilers schedule and a guess at the roster based on who was at summer development camp.

Schedule
Sept. 8-5:00pm MST vs Calgary
Sept. 9-8:30pm MST vs Winnipeg
Sept. 11-3:00pm MST vs Vancouver

Potential Roster
Goaltenders | Defensemen | Forwards
Stuart Skinner(Lethbridge, WHL) | Ethan Bear(Seattle, WHL) | Tyler Benson(Vancouver, WHL)
Shane Starett(Air Force, NCAA) | Caleb Jones(Portland, WHL) | Joe Gambardella(UMass-Lowell, NCAA)
Dylan Wells(Peterborough, OHL) | Ryan Mantha(Niagara, OHL) | Kirill Maksimov(Niagara, OHL)
| Ziyat Paigin(Kazan, KHL) | Ostap Safin(Sparta Praha, Czech)
| Dmitri Samorukov(Guelph, OHL) | Kailer Yamamoto(Spokane, WHL)

Along with that, I imagine there's a good chance the following players are invited who were at summer development camp: D Sahvan Khaira(Swift Current, WHL), F Chad Butcher(Medicine Hat, WHL), F Kelly Klima(Moncton, QMJHL), F Kevin Klima(Moncton, QMJHL), F Davis Koch(Edmonton, WHL), F Steve Owre(Medicine Hat, WHL), F Evan Polei(Red Deer, WHL), F Brandon Saigeon(Hamilton, OHL), F Ethan Szypula(Owen Sound, OHL). Plus there's this tidbit from Derek van Diest(via Lowetide) tonight:

Who are you guys looking forward to seeing, and are there any guys you'd like to see invited to fill the roster?

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Mantha...

I got a feeling about him that he is going to be the later round gem we haven't had since....ummmm....im drawing a blank.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good for Fix-Wolansky. Kid busted his ass last season even through the death march. Really thought a team might spend a 6th or a 7th on him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
it would be nice if benson has a nice tournament. and obviously want to see Yammer. Paigin as well.

That D actually looks pretty stacked.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The D should be the best in the tournament. Bears/Jones are both top WHL D, Mantha is an overager and one of best OHL D and Paigin has plenty of pro experience in KHL. Very excited for a top 4 of

Jones-Bear
Paigin-Mantha

I also think our goalies will be some of the best there. Forwards its pretty ugly and only 2 or 3 ones to note. Although Yamamoto himself could win some games

Im pumped for this year because this will be all our pure depth prospects, no multiple top 3 picks dominating. These are the guys well need to develop well and help us out in 2/3 years time

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He should be. Draisaitl played with McDavid in the 2015 rookie camp and he burnt a year similar to Pulju so I don't see why not.

Difference is Draisaitl went to Junior whereas Pulju played in the AHL. I don't recall many guys with a year of professional NA experience playing in this tourney.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
The D should be the best in the tournament. Bears/Jones are both top WHL D, Mantha is an overager and one of best OHL D and Paigin has plenty of pro experience in KHL. Very excited for a top 4 of

Jones-Bear
Paigin-Mantha

I also think our goalies will be some of the best there. Forwards its pretty ugly and only 2 or 3 ones to note. Although Yamamoto himself could win some games

Im pumped for this year because this will be all our pure depth prospects, no multiple top 3 picks dominating. These are the guys well need to develop well and help us out in 2/3 years time

Yes, I must admit I too am a little excited for that top 4 and believe they should dominate the tournament. Jones and Benning acquitted themselves pretty good last year handling the top pair duties, especially against the bigger forward group of the Calgary flames which included Matthew Tkachuk. Should be a good showing for Yamamoto, Benson and the rest of the forward group, as having 2 excellent puck moving D in Jones/Bear will aid in the efficiency of their attack game. Paigin and Mantha should do well also.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I think Puljujarvi should play I think he could use the confidence boost the could come with ripping up that tournament

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Jones-Bear
Paigin-Mantha

Lots of guys in this tournament trying to make their mark by taking someone out. It can be very rough! Yamamoto will need to keep his head up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm interested in the Russians we have and see all the Gambardella hype. Gambardella should do well here.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Why are the Oilers always so slow at releasing rosters for these types of tournies compared to almost every other team in the league? :(

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why are the Oilers always so slow at releasing rosters for these types of tournies compared to almost every other team in the league? :(

Purely guesswork, but the Oilers tend to invite a lot of WHLers. Travel schedules and whatnot take quite a bit of time to figure out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->