Prospect Info: 2017 Rookie Camp/Penticton Youngstars Tournament

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
When he had his big season he was an over-ager. There's a lot of those guys out there who don't amount to anything in the nhl.

He was even an old over-ager with a January birthday. He played half the season at 21 years old, so that was certainly a bit of an advantage. But hopefully he can carve a good professional career.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
When he had his big season he was an over-ager. There's a lot of those guys out there who don't amount to anything in the nhl.

True, Mitch Holmberg being a big one. 62 goals in overage year. Now an ECHL lame out. Butcher could be a good AHL depth piece but thats probably it

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I haven't seen much on Butcher but he has 7 points in 3 games? That's pretty impressive. Also saw his Junior stats 103 points in 63 games? How come no one drafted him? He seems like a high skilled player. Yeah, he's only 5'11 172 pounds, but so was Eberle. Anyone care to explain me this? lol.

Also impressed that all 3 goalies looked very good and all have a shot. Happy with this team so far :yo:

Butcher had 25 pts in 63 games in his draft year with Medicine Hat who were 6th in the WHL that year in GF.

That works out to a 11% participation rate on the teams goals... which is certainly nothing special among draft eligible forwards.

My guess is that those numbers combined with his small stature likely left him off every team's radar.

He improved his numbers each year in the WHL which is a good sign but overagers that are smallish often have a difficult time getting much attention from NHL scouts which is why I assume he was passed over in his draft+1 and draft+2 years.

Now at 21 he put up 103 pts in 68 games which are good numbers, but again that's his draft+3 stats and his size is still a negative.

He looked good in this tournament though and hopefully he becomes a late bloomer that has a chance at becoming an option for the Oilers in years to come.

Last edited:

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
True, Mitch Holmberg being a big one. 62 goals in overage year. Now an ECHL lame out. Butcher could be a good AHL depth piece but thats probably it

I don't expect much basically for the reason you posted above, but having said that if I recall correctly, Butcher looked far better in Penticton than Holmberg ever did. He does seem to have some skill and more importantly looks like he should still be able to get to scoring areas in the AHL.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
I don't expect much basically for the reason you posted above, but having said that if I recall correctly, Butcher looked far better in Penticton than Holmberg ever did. He does seem to have some skill and more importantly looks like he should still be able to get to scoring areas in the AHL.

I agree. Holmberg had the JR numbers, but he didn't look all that flashy nor fast. Butcher did have feats of dominance that i didn't ever recall from Holmberg in the same tourney/format.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Holmberg had a 13.2% pts participation rate in his draft year (which also explains why he was passed over in the draft) and also proceeded to have better numbers every following year in the WHL.

Holmberg is actually likely a decent comparable for Butcher... if anything Holmberg is a better goal scorer.

Some players do surprise though once they mature and hit their early 20's... maybe Butcher can be one of those longshots that actually pays off for once.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Any of these undrafted guys are probably AHL only players. But still important to have good AHL depth. If this guy turned out like Arcobello (but not even make the NHL), thatd be great. Your actual prospects do alot better when they are scoring or getting points, just boosts confidence. If Butcher was a 50 point AHL player for life, thatd be perfect

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There's a reason we have successful undrafted players in the nhl. Butcher could be one.

Absolutely, hes got a tiny shot (like less than 5%), but you still have to go out and sign these guys to have the chance to get that player. Even at worst you get an AHLer, or very worst, waste an AHL contract and they flame out

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect much from Butcher either, but just looking at the numbers and him improving every year, he could have some potential. Obviously not as high as Puljujarvi or Yamamoto or even Benson. But like Aceboogie said, it's always good to go for those undrafted players to see if we got ourselves a keeper.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Needless to say, but I'm hoping Gambardella continues to have a strong camp and carries it into the preseason. He's exactly as advertised, tenacious puckhound with an attitude. Very impressed so far. Our bottom six will be in fine shape with him and Jujar hanging around.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Needless to say, but I'm hoping Gambardella continues to have a strong camp and carries it into the preseason. He's exactly as advertised, tenacious puckhound with an attitude. Very impressed so far. Our bottom six will be in fine shape with him and Jujar hanging around.

Agreed. He is going to be a better player than Foo and was one of best/underrated prospect signings of the offseason. Just a consistent good player (no 40 point uptick in one year). To boot, hes a perfect bottom 6 mold player and got skill as well

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The WHL has a pretty awful track record with undrafted UFAs.

Tyler Johnson is one of the few notables.

Don't expect anything out of Butcher, but one thing he does have going for him that Holmberg (since he's been mentioned in here) didn't is he's a good skater and tenacious player. Holmberg was a below average skater who was much more of a floater in my viewings of him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Only thing I'm a bit worried about is if Butcher has an NHL deal out-clause. If I'm George McPhee, I'm looking at that performance and his junior numbers and typing up an ELC agreement right now. Literally no reason not to if you're Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->