2017 Preliminary Season Predictions

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'll take a shot at the west, this is assuming there isn't any surprises coming from NHL camps.

London
SSM
Windsor
Sarnia
Owen Sound
Kitchener
Erie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

I think it will be a dog fight between Windsor, SSM and Sarnia all season for the West Division title. Should be fun to watch.

That would be real close to what Id pick.
Windsor thru Erie could end up anywhere in that grouping depending on returnees.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Great article as always, Brock.

What is it about McNiven that makes you prefer him over Parsons for goaltender of the year?

Also - I'm surprised about your love for Brown - isn't Konecny a more obvious winner in the categories where you've listed Brown?

Finally, where do you see Mitchell Stephens fitting in this season stats-wise? I know Saginaw isn't the best team - but he'll be playing his 19 year old season and is a pretty effective player (esp. when you look at his ES numbers).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

What is it about McNiven that makes you prefer him over Parsons for goaltender of the year?

Also - I'm surprised about your love for Brown - isn't Konecny a more obvious winner in the categories where you've listed Brown?

Finally, where do you see Mitchell Stephens fitting in this season stats-wise? I know Saginaw isn't the best team - but he'll be playing his 19 year old season and is a pretty effective player (esp. when you look at his ES numbers).

On McNiven, I just think that if Parsons and he have similar stats, McNiven could be the choice because he'd be a more integral part of Owen Sound's success. London is going to win their share of 8-5 games, where as Owen Sound doesn't have that type of club. If they finish of the top 4 of the Conference it will be because of McNiven.

On Konecny, I expect him to be in the NHL, or at least spend enough time up there that he's not in the running for any major award.

On Stephens, I think he'll have a very good year, but I don't see him finishing near the top of the scoring race. Of course, he could be a trade candidate at some point this year if Saginaw struggles. But I see him as a 70-80 point guy, with some time missed at the WJC's.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I agree regarding Konecny.

I don't think there is a chance of him playing for the Flyers this season. Travis needs to be given every opportunity to prove his durability and he cannot do that in Philadelphia. HE is not "man strong" and that will seriously hamper his ability to stay in the lineup at his age.

Ron HExtall is no dummy. That team is more than deep enough to give Konecny another year in junior and I think it is a virtual certainty that he will be back soon.

The real question is whether they keep Konecny to start the season and give him a few regular season games. Because of the later start as a result of the World Cup, this may impact his ability to be the scoring champ but it won't impact him at all from the perspective of MVP.

I loved Brock's pick on Kaminski. I believe Chychrun will light the league on fire this year. Konecny and Chychrum may be enough to put a scare into the West.

I also believe there is a chance we see Logan Brown and Jacob Chychrun wearing 67's uniforms next season if they are awarded the MEmorial Cup for 2018....will be interesting.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I thought it would be a good time to bring up the season predictions from September here is what I said ... really hard to predict junior hockey.

View attachment 94167

So we are all in the darknees of the off season so it's time to take a stab at next year's predictions... should be fun and wildly inaccurate.

Eastern Conference

Peterborough
Ottawa
North Bay
Mississauga
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

Western Conference

London 9
Windsor
Kitchener
Sarnia (sells off at deadline)
Owen Sound
Erie (deep selloff early)
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A bit early to truly predict but can still do this for fun-

West
London
Windsor
Erie
Sarnia
Sault St Marie
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Flint
Guelph
Saginaw

East
Mississauga
Peterbourgh
Ottawa
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Oshawa
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

More in tune with the west so I see Owen Sound and Sault St Marie as wild cards. Really depends how they launch out of the gate and whether or not they decide to toss their hat in the ring and go for it. It is going to be real tough in the west to end up on top. I think the east is Missy's to lose - they should be the favorites all the way.
Close but no cigar - missed on most of these - West I had the bottom 2 right but reversed order. Also you can flip-flop Soo and Windsor on 1-2 in the west division. Flint and Kitchener close - big miss on OS but did indicate they were a potential wild card:handclap: Erie London were at the top as usual so close enough.The east - had 1-2 right but in wrong order - big miss on Barrie and North Bay ( what happened Stan?) Picked fairly close on the rest and was not surprised when the Ice Dogs squeaked in. Was surprised with Kingston and Sudbury but it is hard to separate the bottom 5 in either conference. This is fun to predict and can't wait until it is time to try again this fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad