2017 Preliminary Season Predictions

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
WEST-
1- Windsor- the memorial cup and assets should mean they go out and add more pieces. Not sure if that Keller kid comes. If he does- they are sitting pretty. If he doesn't then not sure they have the assets to add the pieces to be elite. They'll be good but Keller dictates if they will be elite
2- London- if Keller doesn't come to windsor then I'll have London at the top. If marner and tkachuk both return combined with the additional 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 free agents they sign then this team will obviously be good. Especially since they have so many trading assets they didn't use last year.
3- Kitchener- they are still in great shape with their returning talent. I like McKee as the guy in charge and they have some proven talents that will return
4- SSM- the main issue is what their goaltending will be. Raaymakers- not sure. But have to think if he isn't the guy they go add a veteran option. They were a fast young offense last year that will return most of their firepower and now a year older
5- Erie- still in good shape offensively and should be okay on backend. The question is in net with Lawr. They could add a veteran just to hold things steady a bit. Likely departures of Strome, Cernak, Dermott will be big but if the goaltending is decent they should be top 5/6 in conference. I could also see them trading debrincat/Pettit/Darren Raddysh and finishing in the 7-10th range in conference.
6- Sarnia- they could lose 4 of their top 6 forwards on an offense that I thought was overrated last year anyways. Not sure Fazio is elite to carry load either. The defense could and should be strong. If Zacha and Konency return they will be above Erie but the question is do they have the assets or the current team to make more moves to buy and compete with the best or do they sell off
7- Owen Sound- always a hard nose team but never have that explosiveness on offense for me to buy in that they will finish towards the top.
8- Flint- still young and rebuilding with so many questions inside management/coaching and players committing
9- saginaw- probably still a year or 2 away
10- Guelph- who knows given all the youth they played with last year. Never know who develops and takes off in year 2 or 3 of their careers but they obviously have a lot of growth needed

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
East
Steelheads
Gens
Petes
Fronts
Wolves
67s
Bulldogs
NB
Colts
Niagara

West
Windsor
Owen sound
Sarnia
London
Kitchener
Erie
Ssm
Guelph
Flint
Sag

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
East
Steelheads
Gens
Petes
Fronts
Wolves
67s
Bulldogs
NB
Colts
Niagara

West
Windsor
Owen sound
Sarnia
London
Kitchener
Erie
Ssm
Guelph
Flint
Sag

Not sure if Oshawa will be ready to compete that quickly. I think it'll be Peterborough or Ottawa leading that division next season.

Mayday3*

Not sure if Oshawa will be ready to compete that quickly. I think it'll be Peterborough or Ottawa leading that division next season.

IMO Oshawa is further ahead than the Petes will be (unless they go trade for big guys). Petes will be bringing in a bunch of rookies and will rely on some unproven players to take a much bigger role in terms of carrying the team. Which is how the Gens were last year. Gens are now a year ahead of that. Not unlikely that the Gens might only have 1 rookie this year (Antropov)

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
IMO Oshawa is further ahead than the Petes will be (unless they go trade for big guys). Petes will be bringing in a bunch of rookies and will rely on some unproven players to take a much bigger role in terms of carrying the team. Which is how the Gens were last year. Gens are now a year ahead of that. Not unlikely that the Gens might only have 1 rookie this year (Antropov)

I would not say that Steve Lorentz, Jonthan Ang, Adam Timlek and Logan DeNoble are unproven. Lorentz, Ang and DeNoble all had 20 plus goals and Timlek had 19. That is a good base for the top 2 lines. They have role players in Josh Coyle and Eddie Schultz. Zack Gallant and C.J. Clarke will be improved. On defence they have 5 returning defencemen and in goal they will have Matt Mancina. I am not sure how they stack up against Oshawa, but they will competitive.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
East:
Missasauga
North Bay
Peteborough
Hamilton
Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Niagara
Barrie
Kingston

West:
Windsor
London
Soo
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Sarnia
Saginaw
Erie
Guelph
Flint

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
East:
Missasauga
North Bay

Peteborough
Hamilton
Ottawa
Sudbury
Oshawa
Niagara
Barrie
Kingston

West:
Windsor
London
Soo
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Sarnia
Saginaw
Erie
Guelph
Flint

These guys can't finish 1st and 2nd. Play in same division best a second team could finish would be 3rd.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
its looking better for London, if they do land Roslovic and Kuokkanen that would offset the loss of Marner and Dvorak. Not anywhere to the same level but the whole team will be better through experience. Windsor really needs to land Keller to stay competitive. and nice move by Missy.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
So we are all in the darknees of the off season so it's time to take a stab at next year's predictions... should be fun and wildly inaccurate.

Eastern Conference

Peterborough
Mississauga
Ottawa
North Bay
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

Western Conference

London
Windsor
Kitchener
Sarnia (sells off at deadline)
Owen Sound
Erie (deep selloff early)
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

I had to change my eastern prediction as i had Peterborough and Ottawa in the same division

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
These guys can't finish 1st and 2nd. Play in same division best a second team could finish would be 3rd.

Yeah, an east division team would get the #2 seed. I am guessing that Miss and NB will be the top two teams in points total (in the eastern conference)

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
East
Steelheads
Gens
Petes
Fronts
Wolves
67s
Bulldogs
NB
Colts
Niagara

West
Windsor
Owen sound
Sara
London
Kitchener
Erie
Ssm
Guelph
Flint
Sag

Here's my shot for what its worth:
Mississauga (If Nylander returns which is doubtful, also need a goalie and #9's knee to hold up)
Oshawa (solid young group)
Ottawa (added some scoring with Clark)
Hamilton (didn't lose any top players, youngest group who will make some trades, could finish higher)
North Bay (always solid. Big mean group)
Peterborough (some good draft picks will get a chance)
Sudbury (Young group will take a step up)
Niagara (some really good drafting in last few seasons helps replace lost vets)
Kingston (great young D core will let them compete for last playoff spot)
Barrie (too much lost, rebuild in progress)

Windsor (amassing powerhouse squad for cup run. Only injuries stop them)
London ( always tough and new players on the way)
SSM (fast and underrated)
Kitchener (solid depth all around, good coaching staff)
Owen Sound ( no nonsense group, young stars need to avoid sophomore jinx
Erie (still tons of talent and top class coach)
Sarnia (lots of holes to fill)
Flint (stability will help hopefully, Bitten is the key whether they finish much higher)
Guelph (Two years away from being a factor)
Saginaw (some talent filtering in now, but still a bit away)

Tried to be objective. I think it will be a horse race in the East as I don't believe Missy will be as strong as others have predicted. The West is a battle of the giants with SSM ready to pounce should one slip up. Gonna be great.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Here's my shot for what its worth:
Mississauga (If Nylander returns which is doubtful, also need a goalie and #9's knee to hold up)
Oshawa (solid young group)
Ottawa (added some scoring with Clark)
Hamilton (didn't lose any top players, youngest group who will make some trades, could finish higher)
North Bay (always solid. Big mean group)
Peterborough (some good draft picks will get a chance)
Sudbury (Young group will take a step up)
Niagara (some really good drafting in last few seasons helps replace lost vets)
Kingston (great young D core will let them compete for last playoff spot)
Barrie (too much lost, rebuild in progress)

Windsor (amassing powerhouse squad for cup run. Only injuries stop them)
London ( always tough and new players on the way)
SSM (fast and underrated)
Kitchener (solid depth all around, good coaching staff)
Owen Sound ( no nonsense group, young stars need to avoid sophomore jinx
Erie (still tons of talent and top class coach)
Sarnia (lots of holes to fill)
Flint (stability will help hopefully, Bitten is the key whether they finish much higher)
Guelph (Two years away from being a factor)
Saginaw (some talent filtering in now, but still a bit away)

Tried to be objective. I think it will be a horse race in the East as I don't believe Missy will be as strong as others have predicted. The West is a battle of the giants with SSM ready to pounce should one slip up. Gonna be great.

Has Mikey had a knee injury before last season, I don't think so - it was also relatively minor and was back within 4 weeks. I'd say it's nowhere near a concern right now.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
If North Bay cant come up with a goalie and goal scoring early, the playoffs are a stretch even in the East that seems to be weak, except Missy who will coast to the Title.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bumping this.

With preseason just about wrapped up and rosters close to finalized, I think it's just time for season predictions. Here are mine.

Eastern Conference:

1. Mississauga Steelheads - The offensive depth is shaky but they will likely address it with the picks they acquired from moving Nizhnikov, but the Steelheads probably have the best defense in the league and a very solid goalie in Mancina. I think the East could be pretty wide open this season but they are clearly the favorites right now.

2. Oshawa Generals - The east division is a tough one to predict, but I like Oshawa to take it. They have great forward depth and a very solid goalie in Brodeur. I think they are coached very well and Vande Sompel will be a top dman this season.

3. North Bay Battalion - Stan Butler always finds a way. The team loses their biggest offense threat in Amadio but the addition of Thilander was huge. They will be stout defensively, Moran could be an underrated pickup, and I think they will find a way to manufacture offense.

4. Ottawa 67's - Not quite ready to compete yet, but the 67's are solid in net with Lazarev. The offense will be good, the defense will hold them back from truly competing. Its talented but very young.

5. Peterborough Petes - Peterborough is talented up front, especially with the addition of Tamella, defense is solid as well. I just have my doubts in Wells in net and I don't think Hull is a good coach.

6. Hamilton Bulldogs - Hamilton has a very solid team, talented and lot of size. The coaching change will help them into the playoffs this season but I think they are still a year away from competing.

7. Kingston Frontenacs - A definite rebuilding year for the Fronts but McFarlane is a great coach who will have the system working well. They will still be good defensively and Helvig is a great goalie.

8. Barrie Colts - Like Kingston, it's time for a thin year in Barrie but they are still pretty talented, especially if they get McBain to sign. Just young and very short on picks, they'll be sellers at the deadline.

9. Sudbury Wolves - Things are starting to improve in Sudbury with a lot of young talent, but to me their defense and goaltending is still suspect, missing on the import pick hurts too. They'll be competitive but I think they just miss the playoffs.

10. Niagara IceDogs - After a great run last season, the IceDogs are in for a rough season having graduated a huge portion of their roster. They or Flint will likely be picking #1 at the 2017 OHL Draft.

Western Conference:

1. London Knights - We're all sick of seeing it, but they keep pulling it off. A year removed from a Memorial Cup Championship London will be the top contender again. I expect them to lose their top two players (Dvorak/Marner) but retain Tkachuk/Jones/Pu/Piccinich up front. Kuokkanen looks like a legit top line C and Roslovic could be coming. Combined with great depth on D and Parsons in net, London will be very dangerous. They also still have a lot of ammo after not buying heavily last season.

2. Windsor Spitfires - This is Windsor's big chance and I think they will at least deliver in the regular season. I don't expect any surprised losses to the pros (ex Fischer, Chatfield) giving Windsor a returning lineup that rivals London's imo. The difference is they don't have as many picks to work with, nor do they have a 1st rounder to trade. But they'll get creative and find a way to buy. I see them as the favorite in the West right now.

3. Erie Otters - While I don't expect the streak of 50 win seasons to continue, I think Erie will surprise some people again this season. I think Timpano could flourish with competent defense in front of him. Up front losing Strome hurts but Poddubnyi looks very talented. I also expect improvements from Maksimovich, Lodnia, Bily, and Neumann. The defense is a little young but Fergus/Raddysh could lead the group. And honestly, I think Knoblauch is the best coach in the league, he'll find a way.

4. SSM Greyhounds - This team will be fun to watch, they could have the best offense in the entire league with loads of firepower up front. Enough to carry them to home ice in the first round. The defense and goaltending is highly suspect though and will hold them back from being a title contender imo.

5. Sarnia Sting - While Sarnia is losing arguably their best player in Zacha, I think Konency will return as Philly is showing a lot of patience lately and they don't quite have room up front. They also made two big additions in the important draft and Fazio is ready to take over the #1. They'll be in the hunt for home ice.

6. Owen Sound Attack - Owen Sound has seen a change in philosophy lately and it will continue to pay off this season. A pretty well rounded team with a great goalie in McNiven, I think they too will challenge for home ice, 3-6 could be very tight this season.

7. Saginaw Spirit - I could see this team surprising and pushing up further, as their defense should be very good. The offense should improve with a year of experience and no major losses, but I still do question Cormier in net. They are a definite playoff team, we'll see how much further they go.

8. Kitchener Rangers - Kitchener is an interesting team, I'm not totally sure how they will be. I think they could struggle to score a bit this season, but Bracco returning could help there. The defense should be decent under McKee, goaltending is a bit of a question with Opilka's status up in the air.

9. Guelph Storm - things are turning around in Guelph, as they picked up two talented young dman through the OHL draft and import draft. Up front, McEwan and Smith will shoulder the load. Behind them, I don't see a lot of depth right now, but the young talent is there. Like Sudbury I think they will be competitive but just quite arent a playoff team yet.

10. Flint Firebirds - I think Flint is close to turning the corner. Their 2016 draft looks great, but until they move past the ugly ownership mess players just don't want to be moved here. They will struggle through growing pains this seasons, but if Burnett manages them correctly there could be a quick turnaround with some talented youth on the team and in the system.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Predictions on standings at this point in time in the east it always seems to be a wildcard as I've seen my fair share of what should have been talented teams seem to run the table and then loose steam come postseason time on both sides of the league but if you ask anyone who's in the West London and Windsor are heavy favourites as the season ever inches closer in the East though is really anyone's guess last years postseason run for the Ice Dogs showed that but for what it's worth a prediction is on everyone's minds these days

West
London
Windsor (Just because they play hosts to the Mem cup)
Kitchener
Soo
Owen Sound
Sarnia
Guelph
Saginaw
Flint
Erie

East
Mississauga
Ottawa
Kingston
North Bay
Niagara
Oshawa
Peterborough
Hamilton
Sudbury
Barrie

And the only reason I have put Guelph and Hamilton lower in the standings predictions is due to the fact they're still 2 seasons away till they peak and make runs in either conference with both Merkley(Guelph) and Roberts(Hamilton) being future cornerstones of both of those clubs I'd say both need additional pieces to really make any sort of run in either conference although they should be playoff contenders this year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will be a week or two before rosters are mostly set; but,...

East:
Missassauga
Peteborough (2 seed)
North Bay
Hamilton
Ottawa
Kingston
Sudbury
Oshawa
Niagara
Barrie

West:
London
Windsor
Kitchener
Soo
Owen Sound
Sarnia
Saginaw
Erie
Flint
Guelph

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'll take a shot at the west, this is assuming there isn't any surprises coming from NHL camps.

London
SSM
Windsor
Sarnia
Owen Sound
Kitchener
Erie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

I think it will be a dog fight between Windsor, SSM and Sarnia all season for the West Division title. Should be fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad