2017 Preliminary Season Predictions

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
So we are all in the darknees of the off season so it's time to take a stab at next year's predictions... should be fun and wildly inaccurate.

Eastern Conference

Peterborough
Ottawa
North Bay
Mississauga
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

Western Conference

London
Windsor
Kitchener
Sarnia (sells off at deadline)
Owen Sound
Erie (deep selloff early)
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So we are all in the darknees of the off season so it's time to take a stab at next year's predictions... should be fun and wildly inaccurate.

Eastern Conference

Peterborough
Ottawa
North Bay
Mississauga
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

Western Conference

London
Windsor
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

Like your optimism for ottawa but our D will be way too young barring major moves. We' re gonna be 4/5 imo.

Mayday3*

Eastern Conference

Peterborough
Ottawa
North Bay
Mississauga
Oshawa
Hamilton
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

Western Conference

London
Windsor
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw
Guelph
Flint

Interesting Peterborough finishing 1st. They're losing their best 4 players (Garlent/Betzold/Lorentz/Masin). Will be a very young team. Don't see them finishing above 4th

Last edited by a moderator:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Eastern Conference

Mississauga
Peterborough
Ottawa
Hamilton
North Bay
Oshawa
Sudbury
Barrie
Niagara
Kingston

Western Conference

London
Kitchener
Windsor
Owen Sound
Sarnia
Sault Ste. Marie
Erie
Flint
Saginaw
Guelph

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Interesting Peterborough finishing 1st. They're losing their best 4 players (Garlent/Betzold/Lorentz/Masin). Will be a very young team. Don't see them finishing above 4th

It's not what they are losing it's what they have coming back, they drafted very well the last three years and now they are ripe, full of young talents ready for breaking out year together, they are going to be a very good team.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
In the East I say
Ottawa
Hamilton
Missy
Petes
Oshawa
Sudbury
Niagara
Barrie
Kingston
North Bay
In the west
Windsor
Kitchener
London
Sarnia
Owen sound
Saginaw
Erie
Flint
Guelph
Sault

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Complete Crap shoot here, but here are my picks....

Eastern Conference

Mississauga
Peterborough
Hamilton
North Bay
Ottawa
Oshawa
Barrie
Sudbury
Kingston
Niagara

Western Conference

Windsor
Kitchener
London
Owen Sound
Sault Ste. Marie
Sarnia
Guelph
Erie
Flint
Saginaw

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
West
London
Windsor
Erie
SSM
Sarnia
OS
Saginaw
Kitchener
Guelph
Flint

Mississauga
Ottawa
Petes
Oshawa
North Bay
Hamilton
Barrie
Sudbury
Niagara
Kingston

Mayday3*

It's not what they are losing it's what they have coming back, they drafted very well the last three years and now they are ripe, full of young talents ready for breaking out year together, they are going to be a very good team.

I'll take your bet on that! Haha I don't see them finishing in the top 3 of the East. Too many young players, which doesn't generally win in the OHL. Also they likely will have to trade Mancina and Wells was statistically the worst goalie in the OHL last season. Shaky goalie (albeit with lots of talent) and a young team, I would definitely take that bet that they won't finish top 3 in the East (unless they buy big at the deadline)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayday3*

It's so hard because you're not sure of who's coming back and what teams will buy/sell at the deadline but here goes nothing:

EAST:
Mississauga
Ottawa
Oshawa
Niagara
Peterborough
North Bay
Barrie
Hamilton
Kingston
Sudbury

WEST:

London
Windsor
Kitchener
Sault Ste. Marie
Erie
Sarnia
Guelph
Owen Sound
Flint
Saginaw

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
East

(One of the weakest the east has ever been only team that has a chance to win is gonna be Missy)

Mississauga
Ottawa
Peterborough
Barrie (optimistic)
Hamilton
Kingston
North bay
Oshawa
Niagara
Sudbury

West

Windsor
Kitchener
London
Sarnia
Erie
Owensound
Sault Ste. Marie
Guelph
Saginaw
Flint

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Geez must be missing something almost everybody has the 67's 2nd/3rd and I just don't see it with our D.
Even if we get Middleton back as an OA, we have one 19yo Orban who is at this point a third pairing D imo. Then we have one 18y.o. who has barely played Brown. After we have two promising 17 y.o. Hoefenmeyer/Wilson and potentially three rookies, Stratos first round, Robertson/Bahl second round.
You don't win that much with a D like that in the O. That being said being a 67 fan I hope all you guys are right.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Geez must be missing something almost everybody has the 67's 2nd/3rd and I just don't see it with our D.
Even if we get Middleton back as an OA, we have one 19yo Orban who is at this point a third pairing D imo. Then we have one 18y.o. who has barely played Brown. After we have two promising 17 y.o. Hoefenmeyer/Wilson and potentially three rookies, Stratos first round, Robertson/Bahl second round.
You don't win that much with a D like that in the O. That being said being a 67 fan I hope all you guys are right.

Its got more to do with the other teams behind them. Ottawa has the most talent returning. There isn't much in the east this year. There is no reason why Ottawa cant push Mississauga

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I can't speak for other teams but I have a feeling the Storm can nail down one of the last two playoff spots in the west, I don't think that's an unrealistic prediction for them. I would hope they can get at least 25 wins maybe closer to 30.

Icedogs

May 9, 2016
Niagara
Honestly I think Niagara won't do too bad this year, no they aren't loaded and yes they will have lost 12+ players but I think they have a shot of making a season out of it, I think the next season after this will be tougher

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
Honestly I think Niagara won't do too bad this year, no they aren't loaded and yes they will have lost 12+ players but I think they have a shot of making a season out of it, I think the next season after this will be tougher

If I'm mistaken correct me. They lose their starting goalie. Top 4 d. And first line... it's going to be a long season for the dogs.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I'll take your bet on that! Haha I don't see them finishing in the top 3 of the East. Too many young players, which doesn't generally win in the OHL. Also they likely will have to trade Mancina and Wells was statistically the worst goalie in the OHL last season. Shaky goalie (albeit with lots of talent) and a young team, I would definitely take that bet that they won't finish top 3 in the East (unless they buy big at the deadline)

First off, why do you think that the Petes "will likely have to trade Matt Mancina"? They will not trade him if Dylan Wells is not ready to handle the number 1 role. Wells would likely be the one traded if he is not ready. Yes they have lost Hunter Garlent, Eric Cornel, Greg Betzold and Dominic Masin. Jonathan Ang, Adam Timlek and Logan DeNoble have the ability to replace their offence. They have 5 returning defencemen and while they will miss Masin they have a lot of talent on defence. I think the Petes will finish anywhere from 2nd to 7th in the conference.

Mayday3*

First off, why do you think that the Petes "will likely have to trade Matt Mancina"? They will not trade him if Dylan Wells is not ready to handle the number 1 role. Wells would likely be the one traded if he is not ready. Yes they have lost Hunter Garlent, Eric Cornel, Greg Betzold and Dominic Masin. Jonathan Ang, Adam Timlek and Logan DeNoble have the ability to replace their offence. They have 5 returning defencemen and while they will miss Masin they have a lot of talent on defence. I think the Petes will finish anywhere from 2nd to 7th in the conference.

If they don't trade Mancina then they'll likely trade Wells. Both goalies need to be getting starter minutes but obviously that can't happen if they're on the same team. Whichever NHL team drafts Dylan Wells will likely try to get him out of Peterborough if the Petes keep Mancina because he won't get the minutes he needs to develop how they expect him to

And LOL "anywhere from 2nd to 7th" wow you really went out on a limb with that one.....

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

In a year where they are hitting the reset button to an extent, Im not sure the logic with keeping a 96 born goaltender and trading the 98, that's short term planning. Give Wells the reigns and see if he has it, a year ago he was considered one of the best young goalies in Hockey, he has the abilities. Keeping both won't be an option, they'll both ask to be traded if the other isn't moved in the off season.

They will move Mancina, just where is the question and if they are confident that Smith can be a back up (Im sure he can be)

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
A bit early to truly predict but can still do this for fun-

West
London
Windsor
Erie
Sarnia
Sault St Marie
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Flint
Guelph
Saginaw

East
Mississauga
Peterbourgh
Ottawa
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Oshawa
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

More in tune with the west so I see Owen Sound and Sault St Marie as wild cards. Really depends how they launch out of the gate and whether or not they decide to toss their hat in the ring and go for it. It is going to be real tough in the west to end up on top. I think the east is Missy's to lose - they should be the favorites all the way.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
A bit early to truly predict but can still do this for fun-

West
London
Windsor
Erie
Sarnia
Sault St Marie
Kitchener
Owen Sound
Flint
Guelph
Saginaw

East
Mississauga
Peterbourgh
Ottawa
Barrie
North Bay
Hamilton
Oshawa
Niagara
Kingston
Sudbury

More in tune with the west so I see Owen Sound and Sault St Marie as wild cards. Really depends how they launch out of the gate and whether or not they decide to toss their hat in the ring and go for it. It is going to be real tough in the west to end up on top. I think the east is Missy's to lose - they should be the favorites all the way.

We still need a goalie - I don't think they're any better then an Ottawa or Peterbourgh until a trade or player signing in net is announced.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well this could end up being completely wrong but here's my best guess

East:

1. Ottawa
2. Mississauga
3. Oshawa
4. Peterborough
5. Hamilton
6. North Bay
7. Barrie
8. Kingston
9. Sudbury
10. Niagara

West:

1. London
2. Windsor
3. Erie
4. SSM
5. Sarnia
6. Kitchener
7. Owen Sound
8. Guelph
9. Flint
10. Saginaw

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Well this could end up being completely wrong but here's my best guess

East:

1. Ottawa
2. Mississauga
3. Oshawa
4. Peterborough
5. Hamilton
6. North Bay
7. Barrie
8. Kingston
9. Sudbury
10. Niagara

West:

1. London
2. Windsor
3. Erie
4. SSM
5. Sarnia
6. Kitchener
7. Owen Sound
8. Guelph
9. Flint
10. Saginaw

Top teams in the East should be Ottawa, Missy, NB and Petes.

In the West, it will be London, OS, Kitchener, Windsor and then SSM, Erie

Ottawa has the assets to acquire experienced dmen. If they get Bitten, then the team may have the 2nd best offense in the league. Goalies are more than adequate. Ottawa is planning to be a Mem Cup Contender in 2 years, when i believe they will be hosting the 100th Anniversary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad