Pre-Game Talk: 2017 Playoffs Thread

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
really? to me your response just sounds like a bland PC response not taking one side or the other.

i feel like he gave his opinion and i don't see why people are upset about it.

If I didn't have any room to talk **** because my team was utter crap and I got baited by the media like that... then yeah, you hit it on the head, give the boring PC answer to avoid looking like a bitter little child.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Thoughts after 12/4:

NYR - MTL: What a remarkably evenly matched game 1, this contest could go either way. The difference last night was that Tanner Glass (LOL) somehow managed to scoop a backhander past Price. This series has game 7 written all over it.

BOS - OTT: Heartbreaking loss for the Sens, that third period will come back and haunt them. Bobby had a beauty of a goal though.

CBJ - PIT: I was hoping for Columbus to have a deep run in the east this year, but game 1 ended up being a bit of a reality check. The defending champs are no joke, it's going to take an extraordinary effort to beat them.

STL - MIN: Outshoot/outchance your opponent 2:1, dominate the game in all areas and STILL figure out a way to lose the game? Sounds like the Wild are getting ready to experience the Boudreau effect...

SJS - EDM: Who would've EVER guessed that the Sharkies were just playing possum ever since they clinched a playoff spot? In fact, they were playing possum up until the first intermission, where they must've been like "whoa, it's playoff time??". And they completely obliterated the Oilers in the following two periods. The fact that they survived until OT is flattering to the Oilers, they were credited with only 9 SOG after the first period, OT included. Looks like losing Thornton didn't matter much, and that SJ is still the team to beat in the West.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
St. Louis Minnesota surprised me. I thought the Blues would dominate with Jake Allen being the weak link. Instead it's the Wild dominating with Allen standing on his head (although his rebound control was ridiculously shaky).

Sharks Oilers didn't surprise me, I picked the Sharks in that series, they're beaten up but their blueline is significantly better than that of the Oilers. They essentially have two first pairings, where as the Oilers have three second pairing caliber guys as their top 3.

Pens Jackets didn't surprise me. Despite not having a good blueline the Pens will dominate that series.

Didn't see any of the other two games to comment. I see both those series going either way.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That SJ/EDM series isn't over. The Oilers will get their licks in, they have a good coach and a lot of talent. But it seemed like most people were already penciling the Oilers into round 2, which was a real disservice to the Sharks.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Thoughts after 12/4:

NYR - MTL: What a remarkably evenly matched game 1, this contest could go either way. The difference last night was that Tanner Glass (LOL) somehow managed to scoop a backhander past Price. This series has game 7 written all over it.

BOS - OTT: Heartbreaking loss for the Sens, that third period will come back and haunt them. Bobby had a beauty of a goal though.

CBJ - PIT: I was hoping for Columbus to have a deep run in the east this year, but game 1 ended up being a bit of a reality check. The defending champs are no joke, it's going to take an extraordinary effort to beat them.

STL - MIN: Outshoot/outchance your opponent 2:1, dominate the game in all areas and STILL figure out a way to lose the game? Sounds like the Wild are getting ready to experience the Boudreau effect...

SJS - EDM: Who would've EVER guessed that the Sharkies were just playing possum ever since they clinched a playoff spot? In fact, they were playing possum up until the first intermission, where they must've been like "whoa, it's playoff time??". And they completely obliterated the Oilers in the following two periods. The fact that they survived until OT is flattering to the Oilers, they were credited with only 9 SOG after the first period, OT included. Looks like losing Thornton didn't matter much, and that SJ is still the team to beat in the West.
Pittsburgh was impressive but still have serious problems on their blue line now and will face stiffer competition in the East than this one game suggests. Columbus will give them a better go in following games and Washington is primed to finally get over that hurdle this year.

San Jose is definitely not the team to beat in the West. They could find their way through again but team to beat suggests they are the best team in the conference by a wide enough margin to give them that much respect. They aren't. They're on the same level we are, which is roughly equal to Minnesota and Edmonton and a step behind Chicago.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Ryan Getzlaf was on a local radio station (KROQ) and did a quick interview about the playoffs. He mostly gave standard PC answers until he had an exchange about Gibson.

The host asked if Gibson was healthy and Getzlaf jokingly said Gibson was not healthy and was battling some injuries. Getzlaf then said he was just joking and Gibson was fine. The host followed that by saying to her co-host, "He makes it really hard to like him doesn't he?" Getzlaf answered in nutshell, "Yeah he does" The host then clarified by saying she was talking about how it was hard to like Getzlaf because he messed with her mind by saying Gibson was hurt to which Getzlaf said, "I though you were talking about how no one likes Gibby." He was laughing when he said it so I think he was joking but it was funny how even the team jokingly says Gibson is kind of a dick.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
That SJ/EDM series isn't over. The Oilers will get their licks in, they have a good coach and a lot of talent. But it seemed like most people were already penciling the Oilers into round 2, which was a real disservice to the Sharks.

That first period really showed how talented that team is. It looks like that RNH line is coming around which could make them pretty dangerous. Their D is weak though, and their youth showed last night, but damn, could be a contending team really fast. Props to SJ coach though, loved his gameplan on McDavid.

Ryan Getzlaf was on a local radio station (KROQ) and did a quick interview about the playoffs. He mostly gave standard PC answers until he had an exchange about Gibson.

The host asked if Gibson was healthy and Getzlaf jokingly said Gibson was not healthy and was battling some injuries. Getzlaf then said he was just joking and Gibson was fine. The host followed that by saying to her co-host, "He makes it really hard to like him doesn't he?" Getzlaf answered in nutshell, "Yeah he does" The host then clarified by saying she was talking about how it was hard to like Getzlaf because he messed with her mind by saying Gibson was hurt to which Getzlaf said, "I though you were talking about how no one likes Gibby." He was laughing when he said it so I think he was joking but it was funny how even the team jokingly says Gibson is kind of a dick.

Gibby has always struck me a dick. I remember the rookie camps he went to, and several here had mentioned that he was somewhat of a dick to them when they asked for an autograph. His demeanor screams arrogance, but he simply could just be a quiet person. Probably doesn't make it any easier replacing Freddie, who appeared to be one of the most liked guys in the locker room.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014

She actually said it was hard NOT to like him (Getzlaf) because she is a Kings fan, (Because Getzlaf is always funny and courteous on their show). He thought she was referring to Gibson but it was the opposite of what you heard.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I think it's good if Gibson is this way. Remember when get pulled for a couple minutes, he played his best stretch after that. If he plays with a screw you mentality may be what makes him elite one day

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
She actually said it was hard NOT to like him (Getzlaf) because she is a Kings fan, (Because Getzlaf is always funny and courteous on their show). He thought she was referring to Gibson but it was the opposite of what you heard.

Im gonna have to listen again cause it sounded like he joking about no one liking Gibson.

I'll see if I can find the audio. You may be right. I was laughing in my car because I thought that Getz was making fun of Gibby a little.

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
Im gonna have to listen again cause it sounded like he joking about no one liking Gibson.

I'll see if I can find the audio. You may be right. I was laughing in my car because I thought that Getz was making fun of Gibby a little.

It should be on their website, it's just a pain to find because you have to just try and get lucky and scroll to the right part. They played it again this morning, and you are still right, because getzlaf had a very tongue in cheek remark to the notion that Gibson was "hard NOT to like". :laugh: He was like "Oh yeah for sure!"

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Preds are looking like a team to beat in the West tbh.
Some picked to go to the finals in September but they had a meh regular season and now they`re playing really impressive.
Blues-Preds should be an exciting series

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
It should be on their website, it's just a pain to find because you have to just try and get lucky and scroll to the right part. They played it again this morning, and you are still right, because getzlaf had a very tongue in cheek remark to the notion that Gibson was "hard NOT to like". :laugh: He was like "Oh yeah for sure!"

I list to the Kevin and Bean podcast which are pretty much their entire shows. Im a week behind but should be getting to this interview. If I can find what time during the podcast the interview was at Ill post it.

Its pretty funny because Kevin and Ally are massive Kings Fans, but their sound girl, Chip, is a pretty big Ducks fan. So there is a lot of banter between them.

Also, they have Getzlaf on more often than Kings players. Except for that one time Getzlaf didnt call in when he was supposed to haha.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'll echo the post I made in the WCSF series thread:

If somebody is looking for playoff avatars, I'm still taking requests. Post a player picture and a disaster picture in this thread, and I'll try to come up with an avatar. :nod:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It was either that, or a wagon. The Walking Dead seemed a better option.

A couple of bandwagon avatar ideas from the WCSF thread:

C4Bvh6S.gif
WFxm9bU.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad