2017 PGA Championship

Jan 3, 2012
What is Day doing?

He has a 10-15 footer in the dark on greens at the end of the day. Should've come out early tomorrow to hit that putt. Thats not gonna look like a good decision, if he loses by one shot. No guarantee he would've made that putt tomorrow, but he would've had a much better chance.

No. I can't see why anyone would want to worry about waking up super early and have to think about hitting one putt all night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No. I can't see why anyone would want to worry about waking up super early and have to think about hitting one putt all night.

He can decide to sleep the other 48 weeks of the year.

If you had a better chance to win a major, you'd gladly take 2 hours less of sleep. I'm not sure there's any data measuring this, but I would bet that the percentages are at least like 10% worse when he hit it than if he hit that in the morning. For a guy thats two back right now, that putt matters. If he finishes one back of the winner, it'll matter even more.

Jan 3, 2012
He can decide to sleep the other 48 weeks of the year.

If you had a better chance to win a major, you'd gladly take 2 hours less of sleep. I'm not sure there's any data measuring this, but I would bet that the percentages are at least like 10% worse when he hit it than if he hit that in the morning. For a guy thats two back right now, that putt matters. If he finishes one back of the winner, it'll matter even more.

I don't have the data to back this up, but I would confidently be willing to bet that 2 more hours of sleep would benefit him much more than say a 10% greater chance that he makes the putt. Hell, I'd even say he is better off taking the sleep if not hitting the putting ensured he was 100% guaranteed to make it the following more.

Sleep > one more birdie.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
2 more hours of being awake for Jason Day means 2 more hours risking getting a cold from somebody, which would lead to an automatic WD for him. Smart move by Day.

Jan 3, 2012
Honestly I don't see this being bad for Jordan. It's good to keep expectations in check. He has a crappy tournament and it takes a bit of the pressure off during the playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Honestly I don't see this being bad for Jordan. It's good to keep expectations in check. He has a crappy tournament and it takes a bit of the pressure off during the playoffs.

Its never good to not win a major. How can that ever be a positive? He plays four important tournaments per year. But it was a good year because he won a major, so there no reason to be terribly upset about this result. The "youngest to win the career grand slam" was just another of these media narrative things. He'll win the PGA, probably multiple times. This was going for major #4 more than the career grand slam. Thats something to worry about when you are Phil's age and thats pretty much the last thing you have left to accomplish in your career. With Rory and Jordan, winning majors is more of a storyline than winning the career grand slam.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Grayson Murray is pretty good. I know most regard him as a joke due to his attitude and some of the things he says, but he looks in poll position to win rookie of the year, especially if he wins this event.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
-6 looking like a good number to win tomorrow. Someone could Webb Simpson this tournament. Maybe Patty Reed's first major win?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The last few tournaments I've gone with the most experienced guy as far as winning who's in the top 5 or so after day 3 and it's failed but I'll try it again. I'll say Oosthuizen wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad