2017 PGA Championship

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Thomas and Spieth are probably co-favourites for POY at this point, no? I definitely know who I'd pick as having the better season so far (Spieth), but recency bias might play a factor. I guess it'll come down to the playoffs to determine it, since DJ or even Hideki at this point could still take it if they blow everyone out in September.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are so many variables, that its hard to figure it out. Definitely one of those two though, unless Koepka or Garcia win three playoff events. Even then, they might not factor in. I highly doubt a player who didn't win a major would have a chance.

Some will say Thomas win in October counts because its still the same season, some will say it doesn't because the award has always been awarded for a year. Some will say Thomas has an edge if its tied due to the 59 and the 63, some will say Spieth has the edge if its tied because he has the better scoring average in both categories, he has half the amount of MC's and he has more close finishes.

Its hard to know how it'll all play out. I don't think recency bias plays into this that much. Just like Thomas has recency bias, if its a coin flip, it'll go to Spieth because of overall bias.

Right now, I think JT would win, although it might be close, but if Jordan wins one more playoff event than Justin does, I think Jordan wins.

Jan 3, 2012
I think Jordan has the edge cause Jordan. Basically if everything is equal if 2 players get 1 major and 3 wins overall, I think if one is Tiger and one is some grinder who got hot that Tiger would get it cause having a big name win is better for the tour.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
There are 6 other players to finish second in every major. 5 most people could get, the other is really hard to get unless you know that he's famous for that exact accomplishment.

Anyone have a guess?

No idea and I did get 4 of the 5. I guessed Maggert was the 6th. He had 2 3rd place finishes and 2 4ths. I always knew he came close a bunch

Jan 3, 2012
In the last few years a lot of the guys who are solid golfers and hang around the top of the OWGR have got their major.

Stenson, Day, Thomas, Garcia, Rose, Scott

Really only Fowler, Matsuyama, Rahm who don't have one. Though I suspect they all get one by 2020ish. Maybe Noren but I'm not really familiar with him. A lot of talent in this era. Jordan and Rory having a handful of majors each could look impressive in hindsight.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Yeah, Hideki should get one next year. Rahm and Fowler could take a bit longer.

As for Noren, I'm still hesitant to believe that, even as OWGR #9, he can really hack it as a top player on US soil. He's an outstanding Euro tour guy, but he's also 35. At most he could steal an Open, but I still think I like someone like Kuchar or Casey's major chances more than his.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
There are 6 other players to finish second in every major. 5 most people could get, the other is really hard to get unless you know that he's famous for that exact accomplishment.

Anyone have a guess?

Greg Norman? I know he finished 2nd in all of them but I would think that a guy with such a legendary reputation for finishing 2nd would be very easy to guess, so maybe there's somebody more obscure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Greg Norman? I know he finished 2nd in all of them but I would think that a guy with such a legendary reputation for finishing 2nd would be very easy to guess, so maybe there's somebody more obscure.

Yeah, Norman is one of them, but not really a surprise one. I was talking about really obscure, kind of like Oosthuizen. A name people might not know about.

The answer is Nicklaus, Norman, Mickelson, Watson, Palmer and Craig Wood.

Craig Wood is the obscure one. Like Oosthuizen he has one major win, but also finished runner up in all of them. He holds the distinction as the only guy other than Norman to lose in a playoff in every major.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
In the last few years a lot of the guys who are solid golfers and hang around the top of the OWGR have got their major.

Stenson, Day, Thomas, Garcia, Rose, Scott

Really only Fowler, Matsuyama, Rahm who don't have one. Though I suspect they all get one by 2020ish. Maybe Noren but I'm not really familiar with him. A lot of talent in this era. Jordan and Rory having a handful of majors each could look impressive in hindsight.

Yeah, Hideki should get one next year. Rahm and Fowler could take a bit longer.

As for Noren, I'm still hesitant to believe that, even as OWGR #9, he can really hack it as a top player on US soil. He's an outstanding Euro tour guy, but he's also 35. At most he could steal an Open, but I still think I like someone like Kuchar or Casey's major chances more than his.

Rahm and Matsuyama will get them soon enough. Rahm's only played 6 majors, gotta give him a year or two before thats a discussion. Matsuyama will almost certainly get one in the next few years, as long as he's not Westwood, but whats strange is thats exactly who I've compared him to, although I still think he'll get one. Fowler is kind of becoming the big discussion point of players to not win a major. I saw a funny tweet yesterday that Fowler leads golf in strokes gained congratulating friends for winning majors. :laugh: I think he'll win one, but you can't rule out any of these guys like Fowler and Matsuyama of just being the next Westwood who should've won at least one or two, but didn't. I doubt the Casey's, Kuchar's, Noren's win majors. They all could individually, but most likely, those types do not. They usually run into a better player playing well. You only get so many of those mid-tier guys winning majors. I think the big question outside of the main names is whether players like Reed, Berger, Pieters, Fleetwood, Hatton, Grillo go into this mid-tier category or if they elevate themselves to the Fowler and Matsuyama tier of best to yet win a major?

Jan 3, 2012
Rahm and Matsuyama will get them soon enough. Rahm's only played 6 majors, gotta give him a year or two before thats a discussion. Matsuyama will almost certainly get one in the next few years, as long as he's not Westwood, but whats strange is thats exactly who I've compared him to, although I still think he'll get one. Fowler is kind of becoming the big discussion point of players to not win a major. I saw a funny tweet yesterday that Fowler leads golf in strokes gained congratulating friends for winning majors. :laugh: I think he'll win one, but you can't rule out any of these guys like Fowler and Matsuyama of just being the next Westwood who should've won at least one or two, but didn't. I doubt the Casey's, Kuchar's, Noren's win majors. They all could individually, but most likely, those types do not. They usually run into a better player playing well. You only get so many of those mid-tier guys winning majors. I think the big question outside of the main names is whether players like Reed, Berger, Pieters, Fleetwood, Hatton, Grillo go into this mid-tier category or if they elevate themselves to the Fowler and Matsuyama tier of best to yet win a major?

The only thing Matsuyama is missing is putting inside ten feet really. If he could just knock in those short ones just outside of gimme range, he probably has one by now. I feel like his game is in a similar spot to Rory's right now. Good at everything except short putts.

Yeah Fowler, I don't know, you gotta think he gets one sooner or later but he could become the next Westwood I suppose.

Of the other group I would say that Pieters is the one to elevate his game to the Fowler/Thomas/Hideki tier, but that's just a gut feeling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad