2017 Offseason Thread 5.0 Summer Doldrums

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I just don't see Ladue being sent down.

I didn't either, not until MacDermids recent push. It's either LaDue or MacDermid imho. Frolin is a FA signing who webhad coverted for a while so I can only assume they like him . Nor would it help Blake in the FA market if he waived Frolin without playing a competitive game. Fantenberg is a lock to make the team as I feel he has been our 4th best defenseman in pre-season. So if we are starting to think MacDermid is going to make it I'm not sure where LaDue fits unless we carry 8 D.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I didn't either, not until MacDermids recent push. It's either LaDue or MacDermid imho. Frolin is a FA signing who webhad coverted for a while so I can only assume they like him . Nor would it help Blake in the FA market if he waived Frolin without playing a competitive game. Fantenberg is a lock to make the team as I feel he has been our 4th best defenseman in pre-season. So if we are starting to think MacDermid is going to make it I'm not sure where LaDue fits unless we carry 8 D.

Let LaDue go down to Ontario & battle Gravel for the title of the AHL's best defenseman. They'll push each other to greater heights. Bring them up only after they've clearly dominated.

Reactions: Statto

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
You don't want to lose MacDermid, so you send down Fantenberg or LaDue. Call one up as the first injury call up. I'd send LaDue down personally.

Reactions: Statto

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You don't want to lose MacDermid, so you send down Fantenberg or LaDue. Call one up as the first injury call up. I'd send LaDue down personally.
I agree LaDue has done nothing in preseason to stand out from the pack. I like him but he has to earn his spot and for me he hasn't done that. Fantenberg has looked like a middle pairing d-man never mind a bottom pairing.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I am starting to think Brodz and Kempe don't make the team, both have been extremely mediocre.

Fantenberg most likely makes the team, always thought he was NHL material.

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I am starting to think Brodz and Kempe don't make the team, both have been extremely mediocre.

Although it would be nice to have some more offensive firepower in the today's NHL with another 'shooter mentality' type of player who has a great wrist shot, Brodz def. has not done anything in pre-season to warrant time up on the big club to start the season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Everyone playing for a spot has something going for them. Fantenberg has some skill, and can apparently play either side. MacDermid has the physicality. LaDue is right handed, with some skill. Folin is right handed, and is the 4th most experienced d-man on the roster. If they're going with a rare CBA provision, that nobody was bringing up in conversation over the entire summer, it's all but a lock MacDermid will be starting the year in Ontario.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
My guess is LaDue makes it over MacDermid just based on being a right handed shot.

I don't think I saw on here, but, fwiw, John Hoven reported last night that Chris Lee has been released from his PTO.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If MacDermid doesn't have to clear waivers then LaDue gets the spot. I'd put money on getting a call up at some point, maybe against the Flames.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

How can this be? Sutter is no longer here blocking young players from making the NHL roster.

On another note, I hope Brown finds success this season. He has worked extremely hard, and has been too often maligned.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
If MacDermid doesn't have to clear waivers then LaDue gets the spot. I'd put money on getting a call up at some point, maybe against the Flames.

Exactly I don't think Macdermid is ready honestly but I wanted him on the team just so he can fight anyone who takes liberties at our players. Especially Tkachuk . Kid is one tough sob, and I love it

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
To add to my post above if I'm not mistaken since they are sending Macdermid down pretty much confirmed by Rosen , I'm guessing this means Ladue is making the team right

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Fantenberg-Ladue
Folin

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If Muzzin doesn't bounce back we are going to be kicking ourselves for not selling him when his value was at such a high level. Amazing how he made the Canadian World Cup team and a little over a year later we are discussing whether he can bounce back and be a good 2nd pair defenseman.

Reactions: LAKings88

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If Muzzin doesn't bounce back we are going to be kicking ourselves for not selling him when his value was at such a high level. Amazing how he made the Canadian World Cup team and a little over a year later we are discussing whether he can bounce back and be a good 2nd pair defenseman.

Who was talking about selling him when his value was high though? Who saw Muzzin being as terrible as he was last year? Granted, maybe not saying a lot, but he might've been the best d-man in the SJ series. No reason to think he'd be trash. He was awful from the first game he played in the World Cup to game 82. It looked like he was playing on one leg all year, so if he wasn't hurt, I have no idea what was wrong with him. He's already looked better in a couple pre-season games.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The other side of that coin is more devastating though. Without him, we are a one-man band on defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad