2017 Offseason Thread 5.0 Summer Doldrums

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Who was thinking that? They didn't do anything over the summer that would lead anyone to think that. He's still making too much money, and doesn't get career threatening hurt. I doubt he's going anywhere until at least 2020.

A number of fans on here, on LA Kings Insider, on twitter, etc., were looking at the cap and roster situation with the assumption that Gaborik would be placed on LTIR and "disappear" much in the same vein as a Joffrey Lupul or Stephane Robidas.

He's closer to being ready than he is to being placed on LTIR.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
People aren't used to having cap space, but whether or not Gaborik is on IR or not is basically meaningless to us. We're not going to make any huge acquisitions in the first few weeks of the season that would require more than 4 mil cap space.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I have said this many times, but cap space is pointless for the Kings for the time-being. A lot of people complain that the terrible contracts of Gaborik and Brown are the reason why the Kings suck, which is absolutely not true. Even if today both Gaborik and Brown were traded for 7th round picks, and their entire cap hits were off the books, what exactly would the Kings do with that cap space?

There are absolutely no game-changing free agents available for the Kings to sign, and even if they are available, you would have to give another overpayment/horrible contract to get that free agent to sign here (e.g., Vancouver signing Ericksson and Edmonton signing Lucic last summer). Also, you cannot use the cap space in a trade because the Kings do not have valuable assets to acquire a game-changing forward at the deadline.

Reactions: KingTrouty

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
YAY, end of the offseason. Opening day! Just a reminder that usually Center Ice has a free preview for the first week or so of the season. You may be able to watch tonight's Canadian games on your satellite/cable systems.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
People aren't used to having cap space, but whether or not Gaborik is on IR or not is basically meaningless to us. We're not going to make any huge acquisitions in the first few weeks of the season that would require more than 4 mil cap space.
Any cap space has to be looked at not just in the context of today, but in a couple years if/when doughty get a raise.

That's why a guy like Thornton was so uniquely appealing, he would have been off the books in time.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I would love to dump Brown and Gaborik as would anyone who knows the Kings. I listen to NHL radio everyday and they always talk about how terrible those two contracts are and how flat those players have fallen.

Kings could use the cap space to trade for other players or until UFA period or play even more younger players. I would take Auger and Mersch over Brown and Gaborik.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I would love to dump Brown and Gaborik as would anyone who knows the Kings. I listen to NHL radio everyday and they always talk about how terrible those two contracts are and how flat those players have fallen.

Kings could use the cap space to trade for other players or until UFA period or play even more younger players. I would take Auger and Mersch over Brown and Gaborik.

Brown would still have more goals than both those guys. Mersch this preseason looked like he doesn't want or know how to play in the NHL . Gaborik contract is way worse than Browns. At least with Brown we still get some production out of him, with Gabby he spend most of his time on the IR or pouting in the locker room .

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Expect some fireworks Wednesday against Calgary.

Looks like Andreoff is in for Dowd and MacD is playing.

Kings might want to send a message with the new Coach and Staff to Tkachuk.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
It's interesting that Futa was scouting Voynov last year in the KHL. Wonder if he'll ever be back...

I hope so . If Voynov comes back he instantly becomes our #2 and a top 30 dman in the NHL. I think people don't realize just how good Voynov was . It would also allow us to move a dman for help upfront. Makes us strong contenders once again

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Expect some fireworks Wednesday against Calgary.

Looks like Andreoff is in for Dowd and MacD is playing.

Kings might want to send a message with the new Coach and Staff to Tkachuk.
I was checking the Flames board for a Luke Gazdic call-up. They play in Anaheim tonight.

Still have some big boys on that squad with Glass, Ferland, Hamonic, etc.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
If voynov wants to return to the nhl for the 2018-2019 season and training camp, he will have to start the application process roughly right about now. Voynov is most likely under an entry ban and the waiver of said ban takes about 6 months minimum. I would guess longer than 6 months due to his criminal record.

Time since he left the country is a factor in the waiver as well as the obvious seriousness of his crime. 6 months from now takes us to around mid april which is the end of the KHL season. From what I've been reading, his work visa application will take longer than normal due to his criminal record so it's very possible he may miss training camp even if he started the application process now.

Then there's the probable NHL and any team suspension.

The work visa application and the entry ban waiver can't be done at the same time. He needs a favorable result of the entry ban waiver before he can even begin the work visa application.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad