2017 Offseason Thread 5.0 Summer Doldrums

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
If McDermid makes the team and plays and does what he did yesterday Kings can dump Andreoff, Nolan and Clifford. White challenges Kopitar, McD destroys him with a hit then pounds Pedan, who is a reputable tough guy. No Calgary game flashbacks here.

Honestly, the Kings are re-tooling. Let Nolan walk or trade him and deal Clifford. Keep Andreoff and McD.

At this point it's really just between MacDermid, Folin, and Fantenberg.

I feel like Folin will make the team just because he's already shown that he can be a solid 3rd paring defensemen in Minnesota and not to mention LA has been targeting this guy for the past 2 years.

And then between Fantenberg and MacDermid in my eyes Fantenberg was the better player last afternoon. Besides the big hit and the fight MacDermid didn't really show too much. Fantenberg was much more mobile, had a pretty legit shot, and even played some 3 on 3. We'll see what happens. I kinda feel bad for Gravel but at the same time wasn't impressed at all with him last season.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Fattenberg did look good. Kings have a dilemna though.

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Muzzin
LaDue-????

McDermid, Folin, and Fattenberg are all battling for LaDues partner and the extra spot. If the Kings decide to carry all then they can only carry 13 forwards and that's a whole other story. Tons of extra forwards.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Fattenberg did look good. Kings have a dilemna though.

Doughty-Forbort
Martinez-Muzzin
LaDue-????

McDermid, Folin, and Fattenberg are all battling for LaDues partner and the extra spot. If the Kings decide to carry all then they can only carry 13 forwards and that's a whole other story. Tons of extra forwards.

Muzzin/Doughty
Forbort/LaDue
Martinez/Folin
*Fantenberg

Would be ideal but Stevens seems content on keeping Muzzin and Martinez paired together.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If McDermid makes the team and plays and does what he did yesterday Kings can dump Andreoff, Nolan and Clifford. White challenges Kopitar, McD destroys him with a hit then pounds Pedan, who is a reputable tough guy. No Calgary game flashbacks here.

Honestly, the Kings are re-tooling. Let Nolan walk or trade him and deal Clifford. Keep Andreoff and McD.

Let not get to far ahead of ourselves here MacDermid played exactly 6 mins and 58 secs yesterday. Yes he had a nice hit and a winning fight but its a far cry from a for sure thing of making the kings. Imo Flatenberg and Folin had much better games and have much better chance of making the kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I still don't think MacDermid makes it but I did like what he brought yesterday.

Part of me wonders of Stevens loosens the crazy a little bit; our team was TOO disciplined and respectful WRT to scrums/fights except for Quick losing his ****. Makes me wonder if a few guys could be more effective letting some emotion into their game, or if it's already been bred out of them...

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Macdermid is not making the team , besides his big hit and good fight he didn't do anything well. He has turnover after turnover and bad decisions with the puck. He will be waiver foddler . Seems like the defense will be

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Fantenberg-Ladue
Folin
Or Muzzin with Ladue and Martinez with Fantenberg but looks like Gravel is starting the year in Ontario as well or being traded.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Today's practice lines are little bit concerning for our bottom 6.

Clifford-Shore-Lewis
Andreoff-Kempe-Nolan
Mersch-Dowd-Brodzinski

What's our 3rd line ? What's our 4th line ? The way these lines are paired I feel disgusted and think they're all 4th lines.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Maybe all 4th lines?

If 3rd lines, wouldn't Brown be in there?

He's skating with Kopitar and Cammalleri, so it's anyone's guess as to who makes up the 3rd or 4th lines. Kempe is being given the opportunity to step in there to center the third line, but his wingers don't seem to indicate that. Andreoff and Nolan should be regulars in the press box.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
No need to be worried for nothing tbh really really like our defensive prospects. Haven't felt like this about defensive prospects in a while.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
it's incredibly too early to judge things, but i can guarantee you one thing

Kuemper will suck ass beyond belief

he's Zatkoff V 2.0

i'm really hoping Petersen/Campbell will step up during camp, otherwise if Quick goes down, i'll lose all my hair

Jul 31, 2005
CA
it's incredibly too early to judge things, but i can guarantee you one thing

Kuemper will suck ass beyond belief

he's Zatkoff V 2.0

i'm really hoping Petersen/Campbell will step up during camp, otherwise if Quick goes down, i'll lose all my hair

Really don't understand the Kuemper signing. His numbers last season were dismal and the Kings NEED a guy who can step in if Quick goes down. Kupemper looked pedestrian yesterday.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Really don't understand the Kuemper signing. His numbers last season were dismal and the Kings NEED a guy who can step in if Quick goes down. Kupemper looked pedestrian yesterday.

Kuemper/Campbell/Petersen is competing not just for Quicks backup but also for the #1 for the Reign and his backup. Zatkoff is as close in the depth chart as the guy who wins the Kings emergency goalie tryouts. :laugh:

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Muzzin/Doughty
Forbort/LaDue
Martinez/Folin
*Fantenberg

Would be ideal but Stevens seems content on keeping Muzzin and Martinez paired together.

That'd be my D-corps as well though I want to see Fantenberg's offense. Folin would be my #7:

Forbort/Doughty
Muzzin/LaDue
Fanternberg/Martinez
Folin

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Isn't Kuemper the goalie with an amazing record against the Kings and at Staples?

I have no problem with him. Please don't compare him to Zatkoff. Zatkoff has 48 games total NHL experience. Darcy has over a 100 NHL games and is 3 years younger.

Kings will dump Zatkoff. They will go with Peterson and Campbell in the AHL.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland

Could MacDermid possibly play wing on the 4th line and chip in a few shifts on D as the 7th D?

Also, the Kings "team toughness" is pathetic compared to 2012-2014 teams. Those teams didn't put up with anything from anybody. That "wolfpack" attitude was maybe more intimidating than just having a few designated tough guys. The constant presence of "you will regret it" facing every guy on every other team.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Could MacDermid possibly play wing on the 4th line and chip in a few shifts on D as the 7th D?

Also, the Kings "team toughness" is pathetic compared to 2012-2014 teams. Those teams didn't put up with anything from anybody. That "wolfpack" attitude was maybe more intimidating than just having a few designated tough guys. The constant presence of "you will regret it" facing every guy on every other team.

But it also has to be someone who will not be a liability on the ice. Macdermid is waysss away from being NHL ready.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I sure hope not because than your not icing the best team possible to win.

Every team does it. That's why one or two way contracts exist. Teams sign guys to specific contracts in relation to the rest of the roster. If guys are making NHL money, NHL teams don't want them in the AHL. You'll get the odd guy here and there that ends up being dumped in the minors, the Kings had a couple last year, but for the most part, if you have a one way deal, you're all but guaranteed a spot. Just how it goes.

I know Nolan sucks, but he's making $1m, so assume he's going to be on the roster until he actually isn't. Clifford, pulling in $1.7m, so same thing. Those are real dollars, meaning the employer is going to try to get something for the salary. Not to mention that the AHL isn't supposed to be a league where you get rid of players you don't want. You can say trade someone, but early season trades are all but extinct these days.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Mersch, McDermid and Auger have to clear waivers. So Kings will be cautious about losing at least two of those guys. Auger is part of the group stayin but Mersch and McD are going to China.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Today's practice lines are little bit concerning for our bottom 6.

Clifford-Shore-Lewis
Andreoff-Kempe-Nolan
Mersch-Dowd-Brodzinski

What's our 3rd line ? What's our 4th line ? The way these lines are paired I feel disgusted and think they're all 4th lines.

It's just for camp, remember those 3 lines become two. And toss in Gaborik. An offensive 3 and 4 could look like

Lewis-Dowd-Gaborik
Kempe-Shore-Brodzinski

Or insert Clifford/Nolan/Andy for a rougher line, etc. Lots of options.

Who knows what Stevens will do. I would be surprised if Mersch and AA are still around. Nolan will be in the box. Clifford is going to get his ice time.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
It's just for camp, remember those 3 lines become two. And toss in Gaborik. An offensive 3 and 4 could look like

Lewis-Dowd-Gaborik
Kempe-Shore-Brodzinski

Or insert Clifford/Nolan/Andy for a rougher line, etc. Lots of options.

Who knows what Stevens will do. I would be surprised if Mersch and AA are still around. Nolan will be in the box. Clifford is going to get his ice time.

More like...

Cammy--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Gaborik--Kempe--Brodzinski
Clifford--Shore--Lewis

13th--Dowd
14th--Mersch/Nolan/Andreoff (Mersch in until Gaborik is good)

Forbort--Doughty
Muzzin--LaDue
Frantberg--Martinez
Frolin, McD

Gravel to AHL; maybe Brodzinski too if they want to keep all of Mersch/Nolan/Andreoff until Gaborik is back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad