Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
I don't think it has any bearing on how he'll project in the NHL. Past Swedish captains include Anton Lander, Johan Larsson and Andreas England for example.

It's not indicative of talent level, but everyone already knows that Lias is more talented than those guys, so him being named captain is just icing on the cake.

About today's game, he looked great. Always hard to estimate players based on play against teams like Belarus though.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lias like Lionel Messi one of the best soccer players in the world for the last 10 years now - and one of my favorite soccer players for sure since I also played soccer active over 20 years ago! :)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lias like Lionel Messi one of the best soccer players in the world for the last 10 years now - and one of my favorite soccer players for sure since I also played soccer active over 20 years ago! :)

He's easily the best the last 10 years. Ronaldo can't carry his jock.

A lot actually say he's the GOAT. If he wins the upcoming World Cup, I'll agree with that.

Reactions: Ori

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Guys let’s take the rose colored glasses off.

All you need to do is watch this tournament to see we made a HUGE mistake passing on middlestadt for Lias. We passed on elite skill as we always do and picked the character guy who at best is a middle sixer.

We did not draft BPA we drafted for an immediate need and missed...badly. Kid was not ready.

Casey Middlestadt is the type of guy you take with a 7th overall. Elite skill game changing talent. Chytil and Midlestadt would have been a ridiculous combo. LA was taken to play today and he can’t. I’m even more disgusted now watching this kid dominate for team USA. Huge miss well regret for a decade

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

A lot actually say he's the GOAT. If he wins the upcoming World Cup, I'll agree with that.

Messi's biggest issue is that he is a product of the team in Barcelona. Ronaldo won the Champions' League with 2 teams. It's the same debate as Manning vs Brady. Is Manning better because he won the Super Bowl with 2 different teams? Or is it Brady despite the fact that he is the product of a system (Belichick) that just works?

I am not a fan of Messi though. I think he's good, but the best ever? Not even close.

Anyway: Back to Lias. I love this kid. He gave me a puck again today! He did the same back in Austria. I might be a bit biased here haha

Reactions: lucky13

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

All you need to do is watch this tournament to see we made a HUGE mistake passing on middlestadt for Lias. We passed on elite skill as we always do and picked the character guy who at best is a middle sixer.

We did not draft BPA we drafted for an immediate need and missed...badly. Kid was not ready.

Casey Middlestadt is the type of guy you take with a 7th overall. Elite skill game changing talent. Chytil and Midlestadt would have been a ridiculous combo. LA was taken to play today and he can’t. I’m even more disgusted now watching this kid dominate for team USA. Huge miss well regret for a decade

Yeah, because games against Denmark and Slovakia are a great way to judge a player like Mittlestadt hahahaha. The Danish goalie will have the best sv% this tournament while giving up the most goals. And Slovakia isn't great either, despite team USA losing to them. Lias Andersson is the captain of one of the favorites to win the tournament, is playing great defensively but because he isn't flashy, you don't like him.

Quality of opposition means absolutely nothing to you

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
After watching both of Sweden's games I absolutely love both Lias and Chytil. Got to disagree with you Kovalev. Watching LA do exactly what needs to be done on every play makes me feel like he is going to be fantastic for us. Nearly every Swedish Powerplay goal is scored because of Lias Andersson without him even getting a point on the play. He has been great, and Chytil is the skill choice. Hopefully this year we pick up another skill player and then roll with that. To be angry that we made a smart pick over a potential scorer is nonsense. To give you the benefit of the doubt ill pay attention to Casey next game to review his defensive play. But flashy skillful players are usually horrendous on D, and the Rangers do not need a dumb kid who dangles himself into situations that give up goals. We drafted a future captain and that is something to be proud of.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
After watching both of Sweden's games I absolutely love both Lias and Chytil. Got to disagree with you Kovalev. Watching LA do exactly what needs to be done on every play makes me feel like he is going to be fantastic for us. Nearly every Swedish Powerplay goal is scored because of Lias Andersson without him even getting a point on the play. He has been great, and Chytil is the skill choice. Hopefully this year we pick up another skill player and then roll with that. To be angry that we made a smart pick over a potential scorer is nonsense. To give you the benefit of the doubt ill pay attention to Casey next game to review his defensive play. But flashy skillful players are usually horrendous on D, and the Rangers do not need a dumb kid who dangles himself into situations that give up goals. We drafted a future captain and that is something to be proud of.

There was no need to draft a future "captain" that early, top ten picks should be used to draft skilled players. Middlestadt, Suzuki are both centers with lots of skill and have high potentials. And defence can be taught, high end skill can't be taught.

L.A is a smart player with a decent shot but he seems more like a third liner.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There was no need to draft a future "captain" that early, top ten picks should be used to draft skilled players. Middlestadt, Suzuki are both centers with lots of skill and have high potentials. And defence can be taught, high end skill can't be taught.

L.A is a smart player with a decent shot but he seems more like a third liner.

Saying Andersson isn't a skilled player is ridiculous.

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Andersson's got an NHL-level shot, which he's got a knack for getting off in tight confines. He's got very good net-front presence/hands. He's likely going to end up being absolute money on the PP. He's very defensively capable. Would I have necessarily taken him at 7? Maybe, maybe not. I think several others chosen after him have higher ceilings offensively. However, Andersson's bust potential seems to be substantially lower than most, if not all of them. He is almost certainly a future NHLer, with 3C being his likely floor. Between Hayes, Chytil, Miller (kinda), and Zibanejad, the Rangers have multiple offensively focused Centers. Until they drafted Andersson, they didn't have a shutdown high minutes guy who can pitch in significantly on offense in the mold of a Kesler. They do now

Reactions: belford222

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

Messi is the best player of this generation for sure, no way in hell he is the GOAT. Soccer, like a lot of other sports, evolved a lot, so it's difficult to compare generations, but if you look at Pele's hardware, for example, you can't say Messi is the better player.

I just wanna say that Ronaldinho's performances between 2003-2005 were the best I've ever seen in my life, better than C. Ronaldo and Messi, it was pure magic. I'm 25 by the way.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Nothing like having your mind made up about prospects before they even sniff the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00