GDT: 2017 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would the USA have even medalled in the tournament if Terry wasn't good at shootouts?

If we're going to throw things like that out there they wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to even play for bronze if it wasn't for Parsons. But they did have Parsons. And it's a team game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Parsons just refused to bite on anything. Wasn't a lot of net to shoot at for the Canadians in the shootout.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Lol I'm just salty. Congrats to the USA. In the end it's just a bunch of kids that for the most part I didn't know existed 2 weeks ago so I don't really care :laugh: Very fun game to watch though.

Also too bad Jost's best moment of the tournament was his first shift. Didn't impress that much after though. Though seems pretty solid.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lol I'm just salty. Congrats to the USA. In the end it's just a bunch of kids that for the most part I didn't know existed 2 weeks ago so I don't really care :laugh: Very fun game to watch though.

Also too bad Jost's best moment of the tournament was his first shift. Didn't impress that much after though. Though seems pretty solid.

Yeah he was one of Canada's worst forwards overall but there's still lots to look forward to there. I was disappointed by his defensive play and physical strength but impressed with his skill while the puck is on his stick. Though I was somewhat disappointed by him I really believe we have a gamer in him.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
not impressed with Jost.
I think that's a little harsh, I thought he played well. I dont he's gonna be a superstar, but he played well. I think he needs to spend another year in college. I wanna keep him away from this team to be frank.

Chabot and mccavoy are monsters!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lol guys, just go back to my first post in this thread. What a curse it is to play in this tournament.

It isn't the points, it the ice time, or the situations... he was overmatched physically for a lot of the tournament and by the end, he had no legs. That is against his peer age group, putting him in the NHL will only expound the issues. He has a ways to go physically before he is ready for the NHL. IMO that is all this showed. He isn't a better or worse prospect after this, but it is disappointing seeing him have issues that may hold him back for next season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's kind of sad the best games of the year by a long shot are the World Cup/World Junior games. NHL has way too much structure.

I thought Jost played fine. He's not going to be elite, but if he turns into a 50-60 pt two way player that would be a great pick at #10. Chabot and McAvoy were monsters this game as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
not impressed with Jost.

And the award for least surprising post of the night goes to....

Jost was one of Canada's most relied upon offensive threats. He was used with Barzal and Strome a few times when Canada was pressing for a goal and wanted to go to it's big guns.

Obviously the coaches thought he played well. He's also a year younger then all the guys he was playing with in those important roles.

He didn't produce maybe quite like we expected, but that's only because of some poor luck. He easily could've have another 2 goals at least this tournament if not for spectacular saves, and he made some nice setups as well that didn't work out.

One thing in particular you could easily see he was doing extremely well in was the puck battles along the boards. He seemed to always come out with the puck in those situations even against bigger Dmen and sometimes even with two guys on him. This was what I was most impressed with in him. He's a battler and gives it 110% every shift all around the ice. Something the Avs are desperate for.

He may not be an elite point producer in the NHL. But if he can be a 50-60 point guy on a Top 6 line and battle like that every night, he'll be one of the most important players on the Avs future roster no doubt about it.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
It's easy to get caught up in the tournament, but lets not forget that this isn't going to define anyones NHL career. Know who led the 2009 tournament in scoring?

Cody Hodgson...

Jost will be fine.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Jost will be fine. He will most likely be captain of Canada at the next World Juniors.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Jost was way better than Strome though at least. I thought Strome was laughably bad to be honest. Sure he scored some goals but none of them were anything special imo.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Jost will be fine. He will most likely be captain of Canada at the next World Juniors.

If he plays. I have a feeling he'll be with the Avs next year. Part of me hopes not though because I would love to watch him in this tournament next year as a leader for Canada like the other guys did this year.

Jost was way better than Strome though at least. I thought Strome was laughably bad to be honest. Sure he scored some goals but none of them were anything special imo.

Agree completely. I couldn't get over how bad Strome was in this tournament but especially in tonights game. Plays were dying on his stick the entire night when he was with Jost/Speers. Constantly fumbling pucks, making poor passes, poor decisions, etc.

He was the biggest disappointment of all for me from Canada. Followed closely by Jake Bean who looked like a train wreck in his own zone(Although was decent enough on the PP).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Dylan Strome was laughably bad in this tournament. He can think the game well, but man oh man his skating isn't good and he's a perimeter player if I've ever seen one.

The Coyotes are going to give up on him very, very quickly. The longer Tippett is a part of that organization, especially in a coaching capacity, the less chance there is for Strome to actually play for that team imo.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Dylan Strome was laughably bad in this tournament. He can think the game well, but man oh man his skating isn't good and he's a perimeter player if I've ever seen one.

The Coyotes are going to give up on him very, very quickly. The longer Tippett is a part of that organization, especially in a coaching capacity, the less chance there is for Strome to actually play for that team imo.
I remember when Pierre Turgeon was finishing his career with the Avs. Strome's lack of speed and 100% perimeter play reminded me a little of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad