GDT: 2017 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Welcome to the 2016 IIHF Under 20 World Junior Championship Thread for us Avs fans!

2017_wjc_logo_e.jpg

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship Main
Montreal & Toronto, Canada [Dec 26th through Jan 5th]

Group A
Sweden: 9 points
Denmark: 6 points
Czech Republic: 5 points
Switzerland: 4 points
Finland: 0 points

Group B
Canada: 9 points
United States: 9 points
Russia: 3 points
Slovakia: 3 points
Latvia: 0 points

Links
Main Page
Schedule I
Schedule II
Standings
Stats
USA Viewer Schedule for NHL Network

Avs Players
Tyson Jost, CAN [GP: 3 | 1 - 1 - 2p]
Adam Werner, SWE [GP: 0 | W: 0 - SV: .000 - GA: 0.00]

Draft Eligible Players
BEL: Maxim Sushko (F)
CZE: Martin Necas (C)
DEN: David Madsen (C/RW)
DEN: Jonas Rondbjerg (RW)
FIN: Miro Heiskanen (D)
FIN: Eeli Tolvanen (LW)
FIN: Juuso Valimaki (D)
FIN: Urho Vakkanainen (D)
FIN: Kristian Vesalainen (W)
FRA: Alexandre Texier (LW)
GER: Leon Gawanke (D)
NOR: Gustav Willman Borvik (RW)
LAT: Kristians Rubins (D) [Overager]
LAT: Deniss Smirnovs (C)
SUI: Nando Eggenberger (W) [2018 Draft]
SUI: Tobias Geisser (D/C)
SUI: Nico Gross (D) [2018 Draft]
SUI: Nico Hischier (C)
SUI: Philipp Kurashev (LW)
SWE: Lias Andersson (C/LW)
SWE: Rasmus Dahlin (D) [2018 Draft]
SWE: Elias Petterson (C/LW)
SVK: Samuel Bucek (LW)
SVK: Milos Roman (C) [2018 Draft]
SVK: Adam Ruzicka (C/LW)
USA: Jake Oettinger (G)

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship: Division 1 - Group A
Date: December 11th to 17th
Teams
1. Belarus: 13 points [Promoted]
2. Germany: 11 points
3. France: 6 points
4. Austria: 6 points
5. Kazakhstan: 6 points
6. Norway: 3 points [Relegated]

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship: Division 1 - Group B
Teams
1. Hungary: 12 points [Promoted]
2. Poland: 11 points
3. Slovenia: 8 points
4. Italy: 7 points
5. Ukraine: 5 points
6. Great Britain: 2 points [Relegated]

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship: Division 2 - Group A
Teams
1. Lithuania: 12 points [Promoted]
2. Japan: 12 points
3. Estonia: 6 points
4. Romania: 4 points
5. Netherlands: 3 points
6. Croatia: 2 points [Relegated]

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship: Division 2 - Group B
Date: January 7th to 13th
Teams
- Australia
- Belgium
- Korea
- Mexico
- Serbia
- Spain

U20 World Junior Hockey Championship: Division 1 - Group A
Date: January 16th to 22nd
Teams
- Bulgaria
- China
- Chinese Taipei
- Iceland
- Israel
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Turkey

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Think Jost will get between 7-9 points. So much can go right for this Canadian team but so much can also go wrong. For me expectations are all over the place. Playing in NA on NA ice though will help.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The leader for Canada last year had 6 points so I'd temper expectations. Obviously the further they get the higher that will go. I'll say 4-5 tho, I think they are going to use him more defensively since a lot of their older forwards aren't available.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Think Jost will get between 7-9 points. So much can go right for this Canadian team but so much can also go wrong. For me expectations are all over the place. Playing in NA on NA ice though will help.
I haven't been paying attention yet on what some of the projected rosters look like, but Canadian fans aren't happy for this years crop. I've been reading the WJC thread and some posters say this could be Canada's weakest WJC team perhaps in a very long time. How accurate is that?

Don't think USA should be that strong either, I think if I would have to guess, Sweden are maybe the favourites.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
USA has a ridiculous crop of forwards but nobody on D. Canada is ok but not the hero lineup they come to expect. In some ways that might be better. Sweden is how they always are. I don't think there's a clear favorite. The Czechs might be a surprise team.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I haven't been paying attention yet on what some of the projected rosters look like, but Canadian fans aren't happen for this years crop. I've been reading the WJC thread and some posters say this could be Canada's weakest WJC team perhaps in a very long time. How accurate is that?

Don't think USA should be that strong either, I think if I would have to guess, Sweden are maybe the favourites.

It's the biggest wildcard team I think Canada has sent in a while. We need our underage players to produce or we'll be out in the QF again. That summer showcase did not help the overall mood of Team Canada fans. We'll need some good goaltending to have a chance rather then what Blackwood/McDonald gave us last season.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Marner and Strome not playing together and making it all about them will help. They need to play as a team, not collect the biggest number of stars.

Exactly. This has to be a team this year. They can bend but they cannot afford to break. And as always...STAY OUT OF THE BOX. No matter who is wearing the Maple Leaf it seems as though they take too many penalties for whatever reason.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I've got a really good feeling about Jost's performance on the big stage.

I could easily see his stock rising among other fans. The trade board should be fun in January.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So all the lower divisions started today!

But something disturbing happened in the DII tourney in Estonia. Estonian policemen arrested two teenagers which had rifles targeting the Japanese team. No idea what their motives are, just that they brought in for questioning.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Any chance Morrison gets a spot? I know he was not invited to camp, but he is head and shoulders better than some of the guys that did get an invite.

Oh wait, he is not playing in the CHL, and was not a top 20+ pick...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any chance Morrison gets a spot? I know he was not invited to camp, but he is head and shoulders better than some of the guys that did get an invite.

Beaudin deserves it before Morrison. He actually should have been invited to the camp but alas.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

:laugh: Morrison isn't as good as the guys who were invited. Meloche and Beaudin deserve an invite long before Morrison

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This will be a good distraction. Really looking forward to watching Jost.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This link is a MUST for the tournament. I will probably visit this page 500 times before the tourney is over, not kidding. It has information on absolutely everything from rosters to schedule to stats and it bypasses the homepage, which will crash during every game. The PDF gamesheets are 100x more informative than what they put on the website too. Bookmark and use this link if you are following the tourney, seriously.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/418/index.html

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
* Just like at Canada's summer camp, Tyson Jost and Strome found themselves paired together at practice on Sunday. "Tyson was an energy bug and him and Strome played really well together," said Ryan Jankowski, Hockey Canada's director of player personnel, when asked what stood out during the summer. "They think the game really well. Jost isn't afraid to do the heavy lifting and do the hard work and can get pucks to Strome so I think there's chemistry there that can carry on to the tournament." The pair had never played together before the camp in Plymouth.

From TSN

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I like how Jankowski essentially states that Jost is a gritty player while Strome is a perimeter player.

Atta boy Strome, go get'em.

Last edited:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Nice tidbit about Jost.:handclap:
Heavy lifting sounds good. Also reflects a bit negatively on Strome but I have never understood that pick anyways.

The questions I have:

-Aside from Jost and maybe Werner, there won't be any other Avs prospect to watch there right?
Of the top10-15 eligible prospects not many will feature in the WJC.

I already know that Hischier will be there and that Patrick and Liljegren won't. I assume Vilardi and Mittelstadt also won't be in attendance.

I think there are 0 players that made Team Canada that are eligible.
I think USA has the same amount.

Sweden has Dahlin for 2018 (which is ridiculous) and Pettersson.
Finland should have Tolvanen there.

I guess Necas will play for the Czechs.

So basically for Avs fans the players of interest are Jost, Hischier,Necas, Petterson and Tolvanen.
Maybe add Valimaki and Veselainen if we get another 1st but I somehow doubt that.

No Patrick,Liljegren,Vilardi, Foote, Kostin,Mittelstadt or Tippett/Rasmussen.

Very underwhelming year for draft eligible prospects.
Usually there are way more to watch :(

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Are there usually more? Don't they call it the 19 year old tournament for a reason?

Yeah I think there usually are quite a bit more.

The top tier prospects are usually there IIRC. Shame that Patrick and Vilardi is hurt and that Liljegren did not make it.

I mean the Fins alone had Juolevi, Laine and Puljujärvi last season. We also had Tkatchuk,Matthews and Nylander there.

The year before it was even stronger with Meier, Rantanen, McDavid, Hanifin, Zacha,Provorov, Werenski and Crouse.

No draft eligible guy on Team Canada or USA kind of sucks.
Switzerland and the Czechs will probably be out pretty quickly and then the only guys left I would really want to watch are Pettersson and Tolvanen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad