GDT: 2017 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Tolvanen with the assist :sarcasm:

Great for Tyson but Finland might want to rethink their starting goaltender for the WJC. Because they are gonna get slaughtered if their current one does not step up his play.

EDIT:

A scaled down version of Jonathan Toews?

Oh Bob...

Last edited:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Great for Tyson but Finland might want to rethink their starting goaltender for the WJC. Because they are gonna get slaughtered if their current one does not step up his play.

EDIT:

Oh Bob...

More like a scaled up version.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
First exhibition game for Canada tonight. Jost has two goals and looks pretty good out there.

edit: I see it's being discussed in the other thread.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

EDIT:

Oh Bob...

I know he didn't want to say he's going to be Toews but that wasn't the best choice of words.

And the Myers talk. Goodness. He was playing in a small Quebec market before they started winning. It's still underscouted, this is not astonishing. The Huskies might have 10 players in the NHL one day from that team and most of them they drafted. Incredible development system.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me isn't isn't just on Jost with regards to his size, it is the role that will be expected of him traditionally requires size. MacK right now isn't that two way center and he isn't the biggest guy in the world (he is about average for a NHL forward). Jost is supposed to be that two way guy, but he has a smaller frame than MacK has (height and weight). It becomes more and more difficult for these smaller centers to compete with the Kopitars of the world as the levels move up and the competition gets better. If the Avs had that bigger two way center in the top 6 already, then I wouldn't mention Jost's size. He'd be a great compliment. The problem is that it means MacK HAS to become that 2 way guy and it is a lot of risk... or the Avs are drafting center again and Jost/MacK becomes a winger. In other words, it shows a lack of a plan at two of the most important spots in the lineup.

I personally don't think Keller will be a center in the NHL. He is a dynamic talent though.

Being bigger is helpful but it isn't a deal breaker. Having the right body structure in terms of a low center of gravity, and a dedication to fitness and strength training can make up for this. Jost has both of these things.

Look at someone like Datsyuk who was one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He's about the same size as Jost at 5-11 195 lbs but was incredibly strong. Pavelski is one of the better two way forwards in the league, and he also is built the same. Henrique is a solid two way guy and he's not much bigger than Jost. Crosby is the same 5-11 but he's extremely strong and has a lot of muscle at 200 lbs, and he's also one of the better two way guys in the league.

Even if you look back in history, a lot of the best defensive forwards were under 6 feet and 200 lbs. Guys like Draper, Lehtonen, Peca, John Madden, Doug Gilmour. These guys were all about the same size as Jost, and they all had to battle big forwards.

Having that big #1 center is more about having a guy that is great in all areas of the game, and in all situations. Offensively, defensively, driving the net, not being able to be moved from the front of the net, defensively against bigger forwards, PK, PP, ends of periods and games, etc. If were talking just the shutdown defensive role, it can be done by someone smaller. The skilled big center idea is more about having that horse that can just drive to the net with or without the puck and not be stopped, than it is about the shutdown role IMO.

Jost is still 18 for another few months. 2-3 years down the road and he will have put on a lot more muscle on his frame, and with his tenacity, and instincts, I think he'll be better suited than you think for the defensive role asked of him.

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Jost is a big game player. He's the next in the line of the Chris Drury/Ryan O'Reilly type is players. Our team lacks something. Jost has "it" in spades. He's going to quickly become like glue for this team when he arrives. I know people still wish we had been able to draft this guy or that guy but Sakic got this one right. Our team does not lack for talent or tools, it lacks for guys like Jost. Let's just hope we don't trade him away right in the middle of his prime.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I've seen the Jost/Toews comparison enough times now to think that there is definitely SOMETHING to it and I think that should excite just about any Avs fan.

It does always come with the caveat that he isn't the talent Toews was/is but that's still definitely company you want him to keep getting mentioned in the same breath with.

I wonder how Jost and Rantanen would play together, if they might complement each other well. If the Avs do end up unloading a guy like Duchene but next season you have something like MacKinnon/Jost/Compher down the middle with Landeskog/Rantanen/Greer stapled as one wing then things maybe start to look up a bit comparatively with this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Being bigger is helpful but it isn't a deal breaker. Having the right body structure in terms of a low center of gravity, and a dedication to fitness and strength training can make up for this. Jost has both of these things.

Look at someone like Datsyuk who was one of the best defensive forwards in the league. He's about the same size as Jost at 5-11 195 lbs but was incredibly strong. Pavelski is one of the better two way forwards in the league, and he also is built the same. Henrique is a solid two way guy and he's not much bigger than Jost. Crosby is the same 5-11 but he's extremely strong and has a lot of muscle at 200 lbs, and he's also one of the better two way guys in the league.

Even if you look back in history, a lot of the best defensive forwards were under 6 feet and 200 lbs. Guys like Draper, Lehtonen, Peca, John Madden, Doug Gilmour. These guys were all about the same size as Jost, and they all had to battle big forwards.

Having that big #1 center is more about having a guy that is great in all areas of the game, and in all situations. Offensively, defensively, driving the net, not being able to be moved from the front of the net, defensively against bigger forwards, PK, PP, ends of periods and games, etc. If were talking just the shutdown defensive role, it can be done by someone smaller. The skilled big center idea is more about having that horse that can just drive to the net with or without the puck and not be stopped, than it is about the shutdown role IMO.

Jost is still 18 for another few months. 2-3 years down the road and he will have put on a lot more muscle on his frame, and with his tenacity, and instincts, I think he'll be better suited than you think for the defensive role asked of him.

I've been through this debate a great number of times over the past few years, finding my thoughts and reasoning on this is a search away. I've said a number of times on this that Datsyuk was an exception... that team was an exception and expecting Jost to become Datsyuk defensively is a wild expectation.

FTR I hope to be wrong.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been through this debate a great number of times over the past few years, finding my thoughts and reasoning on this is a search away. I've said a number of times on this that Datsyuk was an exception... that team was an exception and expecting Jost to become Datsyuk defensively is a wild expectation.

FTR I hope to be wrong.

I don't recall seeing those debates so forgive me. I understand if you don't want to get back into them, but I don't think Datsyuk is the lone exception when Pavelski, Henrique, Crosby, Draper, Peca, Lehtonen, Madden, and Gilmour were all about the same size, and all very good defensive shutdown players. Chris Drury is another guy in that category.

If you are very smart and tenacious on the ice, and have a lot of dedication off the ice to add muscle to your frame, you can play that role well. Many sub 6' 200lb players don't have both those traits. Jost does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't recall seeing those debates so forgive me. I understand if you don't want to get back into them, but I don't think Datsyuk is the lone exception when Pavelski, Henrique, Crosby, Draper, Peca, Lehtonen, Madden, and Gilmour were all about the same size, and all very good defensive shutdown players. Chris Drury is another guy in that category.

If you are very smart and tenacious on the ice, and have a lot of dedication off the ice to add muscle to your frame, you can play that role well. Many sub 6' 200lb players don't have both those traits. Jost does.

I think you need one of those players in the top 6 at center to win a cup. To be a playoff team is a different story.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

The thing with Datsyuk is he's built alot differently than those other guys. He along with guys like Tarasenko and Claude Lemiuex have the "perfect" hockey body. Body that was built for hockey. Datsyuk like Forsberg was insanely strong and it definitely helped both guys win those board battles. Jost will have no issues holding his own in the NHL but I dont know if I would compare him to Pasha because they are about the same height. Would love to see it. If Jost becomes half the player Pasha was than we got a gooder.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The thing with Datsyuk is he's built alot differently than those other guys. He along with guys like Tarasenko and Claude Lemiuex have the "perfect" hockey body. Body that was built for hockey. Datsyuk like Forsberg was insanely strong and it definitely helped both guys win those board battles. Jost will have no issues holding his own in the NHL but I dont know if I would compare him to Pasha because they are about the same height. Would love to see it. If Jost becomes half the player Pasha was than we got a gooder.

I think Chris Drury is a great comparison in not only style of play, but in body structure and size. He didn't have Datsyuk's superhuman forearm and wrist strength, but he was strong, smart, and tenacious. He would still be an outstanding defensive center in today's NHL, and is a good model for what Jost could become.

It's not just him though, Pavelski is also a good comparison. The "you need a big center to win" idea is more about offense IMO than defense, though obviously being bigger helps defensively. It's about being able to be played in all situations, and also drive to the net with or without the puck without beings stopped and be that X factor to change tight games. It's just that we're in an era where the best athletes that can be played in all situations are usually bigger centers.

If you dial back the offense a bit in the same role though, I think it can be done with someone smaller, but stocky and strong like Jost.

Last edited:

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
What a blast though that was. Just a ridiculous shot.

Gauthier is a bit of an enigma to me but man he's got a great frame and shot. Interesting that Jost is playing with two 6'-4" Carolina Hurricane prospects. Roy is an underrated prospect as well. That could be 2/3 of a quite an interesting line some day in Raleigh.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Gauthier is a bit of an enigma to me but man he's got a great frame and shot. Interesting that Jost is playing with two 6'-4" Carolina Hurricane prospects. Roy is an underrated prospect as well. That could be 2/3 of a quite an interesting line some day in Raleigh.

Put them with Aho and boom same line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad