GDT: 2017 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If they aren't there then they aren't coming.

USA has a stacked forward group, no reason for them to look elsewhere and it's not a good year for the ntdp. Canada had Gauthier and Crouse as their draft eligibles the last two years. One could say it's because they were big bodied physically mature forwards and could handle being a role player on a lower line. Foote would be in consideration but he hasn't earned eligibility with Canada yet.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If they aren't there then they aren't coming.

USA has a stacked forward group, no reason for them to look elsewhere and it's not a good year for the ntdp. Canada had Gauthier and Crouse as their draft eligibles the last two years. One could say it's because they were big bodied physically mature forwards and could handle being a role player on a lower line. Foote would be in consideration but he hasn't earned eligibility with Canada yet.

Oh I forgot about Gauthier.

Yeah true. Unfortunately the teams are not forced to pick the top10-15 prospects for my viewing pleasure. Which sucks ;).

But yeah ultimately I probably won't watch it as much because of that and that also sucks.

Last year I think I saw most group stage games of Finland and every elimination game. Also watched a ton of Team USA and Canada.

This year I might watch some Sweden games because of Pettersson and Canada games for Jost (but only if I find the time for group stages).

Multiple prospects on one team just makes watching more fun.

I mean I ultimately don't care for the WJC in general at all. I don't care who wins a glorified youth tournament. I will always root for the Avs players but in the end I just want to watch the draft eligible prospects and see how they do/stack up against the other prospects.

So this year is kind of a bummer aside from getting to see some Jost.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I enjoy the tourney, I even like the much less exciting World Chsmpionships. Unfortunately not a ton of it is on TV here in the US, haven't seen the schedule yet so maybe they'll surprise me. Finding streams is a massive pain. So they'll likely show all of USA, maybe Canada and not much else. My primary concern is to watch/root for our players so that's obviously Jost. If Werner gets in a game I'd definitely try to watch that. I don't use this for draft scouting as much, though obviously it's a good chance to see Europesns. The U18 events are great for draft watching, I got a lot out of watching those the last couple times.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Button is expecting big things from Jost in the tournament. Also, two Toews mentions in that 50 second video.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Americans can't see that video. So anything else said in there?

He'll be a key player for Canada, he can play in all situations, he'll contribute everywhere, he won't leave you disappointed, and he'll always deliver like Toews does.

No pressure, kid.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Seeing Bobby Mac call Myers arguably Canada's third best D makes me wonder how Meloche didn't get an invite. Not that Meloche is better or even as good as Myers right now but from my viewings in the CHL this year I find it tough to believe that there are many defenders in the middle of the level of those two who are available to play. Meloche looks damn good from what I've seen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Myers has the hype story of going undrafted and from a championship team. Meloche is more old news, he had a ton of hype in his rookie year and now he's an Avs prospect and has been playing on terrible teams. I've seen a lot of both obviously, they are different types of players. HC just has their favorites. I do think Meloche doesn't get the credit he deserves and I've hated how Gatineau has handled him most of the time.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So basically it will be Rantanen 2.0.

Jost will be hampered by an injury and everyone will be bashing him for his subpar performance.

Great. Can't wait....

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Tyson Jost has grown and has gone from 'smallish center' to 'acceptable sized center' :

attachment.php

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Te...RBC-Road-to-WJC/Stats/team-rosters?teamid=100

:amazed:
:handclap:

lol

The most interesting thing about this is that Barzal seems to be the same height as Jost.

Which basically devalues Barzal a bit in my eyes. Thought he was a bit bigger.

I really wish they would be more accurate with that.

I mean Hishon was listed at 5'10 or 5'11. Which in retrospect is a complete joke.

Jost is playing tonight?

Nice.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not just height but frame too. Hishon was small on top of it. Jost isn't tiny, he has the same size and frame as Duchene. I haven't seen Barzal in person but he's in that range yes. All this talk about size, what would folks be saying about Keller. Now that kid is tiny.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's not just height but frame too. Hishon was small on top of it. Jost isn't tiny, he has the same size and frame as Duchene. I haven't seen Barzal in person but he's in that range yes. All this talk about size, what would folks be saying about Keller. Now that kid is tiny.

Oh I won't disagree with that.

Keller has elite talent. If he can't translate his game to the NHL, he will fail just because of his size IMO.

He is basically Gaudreau 2.0 or a bust IMO.
Not much middleground with him. Maybe Tyler Ennis but nobody wants to have Tyler Ennis basically.

I don't really have a problem with Josts size/height aside from the fact that I think that it prevents him from being that big, defensive C that we really need to match up in the West.
So basically either MacKinnon has to take over that responsibility or Jost will project to be a winger for us.

MacKinnon/Duchene has not really worked out down the middle for us and I fear that MacKinnon/Jost will share that faith.

Aside from that I don't really care that much about his size. He should look good on Mac or Duchenes wing and seems to possess some much needed two-way ability.

Where do you guys watch the game tonight? I mean I won't be able to access it anyways from Europe but would be nice to know for which channel I have to look for.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

To me isn't isn't just on Jost with regards to his size, it is the role that will be expected of him traditionally requires size. MacK right now isn't that two way center and he isn't the biggest guy in the world (he is about average for a NHL forward). Jost is supposed to be that two way guy, but he has a smaller frame than MacK has (height and weight). It becomes more and more difficult for these smaller centers to compete with the Kopitars of the world as the levels move up and the competition gets better. If the Avs had that bigger two way center in the top 6 already, then I wouldn't mention Jost's size. He'd be a great compliment. The problem is that it means MacK HAS to become that 2 way guy and it is a lot of risk... or the Avs are drafting center again and Jost/MacK becomes a winger. In other words, it shows a lack of a plan at two of the most important spots in the lineup.

I personally don't think Keller will be a center in the NHL. He is a dynamic talent though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad