OT: 2017 Football Thread II: Rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I hope Bobby Hart only has nightmares for the rest of his life.

Not judging Eli on this game. Would've liked to see him look at Marshall's side of the field more than he did. Give the guy a chance to make a play. That pick was a bad decision. And I loathe the constant checkdowns, but I don't blame the guy. He's under pressure within 1.5 seconds every play.

That PI call on Jenkins was one of the worst I've seen. And of course it led to DAL's only 6 spot.

I think Dallas is totally ****ed if Zeke gets what's coming to him. Morris isn't good, despite running behind that OLine, and I still don't trust Dak without Zeke. Dak was very inaccurate last night. But, to his credit, when he missed, he missed "smart".

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
I can't believe I got up at 2:30 AM (today was going to be a sick day anyway) to watch this display of crap.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I hope Bobby Hart only has nightmares for the rest of his life.

Not judging Eli on this game. Would've liked to see him look at Marshall's side of the field more than he did. Give the guy a chance to make a play. That pick was a bad decision. And I loathe the constant checkdowns, but I don't blame the guy. He's under pressure within 1.5 seconds every play.

Eli had plenty of plays where he had time and he did nothing with them. One of the biggest Eli guys on the planet, Ed Valentine, even criticized Eli after this game.

Let's be honest, here. His play is deteriorating. He's old. He's not accurate. So even when he does get time, he still doesn't do much with it right now. That third down play to Sheppard in the first or second quarter, where he airmailed the ball and didn't allow Shep to do anything to get the first down, was basically 2016-2017 Manning in a nutshell.

We have to come to a realization that he's nothing more than a game manager at this point.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
McAdoo deserves some blame here too. They haven't had OBJ for 3 weeks. Adjustments could have been implemented. We have 4 competent TEs. We could have came in and played like a Harbaugh team and went jumbo. It might not have worked any better but it would have rested the D and took pressure off of Eli and the OL pass blocking every down.

I can't remember which drive it was but we were making a few plays and got it to 3rd and 1. McAdoo went empty backfield. That's just dumb. Same crap as last year. McAdoo is a bad OC. He can't adjust at all.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Eli had plenty of plays where he had time and he did nothing with them. One of the biggest Eli guys on the planet, Ed Valentine, even criticized Eli after this game.

Let's be honest, here. His play is deteriorating. He's old. He's not accurate. So even when he does get time, he still doesn't do much with it right now. That third down play to Sheppard in the first or second quarter, where he airmailed the ball and didn't allow Shep to do anything to get the first down, was basically 2016-2017 Manning in a nutshell.

We have to come to a realization that he's nothing more than a game manager at this point.

He's completely petrified in the pocket. He has happy feet. He's not getting set when he throws. I don't blame him for that. He probably has crazy PTSD from last year, and the FO went and did nothing about it. This offensive line is pretty much trash outside of Richburgh and Pugh when he's a guard.

Definitely wasn't good yesterday, Eli, that is, but I'm much more upset with the Jerry/Hart combination than I am Eli.

On the bright side, I really liked the way the D looked, and I still have a ton of confidence in this team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not even sure he's that anymore which is scary. I think this OL has given him PTSD. He's under pressure even when he's not.

The weird thing is that he doesn't do this in the playoffs. He doesn't mind taking a hit. As said to silver below, I'm not sure I can possibly explain just how mad I am with John Jerry right now.

Where the **** did that guy's game go? He's never been great, but he was very good in pass protection. At one point. Not right now. His entire game is gone. Cut him.

He's completely petrified in the pocket. He has happy feet. He's not getting set when he throws. I don't blame him for that. He probably has crazy PTSD from last year, and the FO went and did nothing about it. This offensive line is pretty much trash outside of Richburgh and Pugh when he's a guard.

Definitely wasn't good yesterday, Eli, that is, but I'm much more upset with the Jerry/Hart combination than I am Eli.

On the bright side, I really liked the way the D looked, and I still have a ton of confidence in this team.

Dude, I can not begin to explain to you my rage against Jerry right now.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
But seriously. Let's give Hart some help (like they did with Flowers with Pugh back) and at least try Jones or Fluker next to him. That should be the next step. Jerry was a turnstile and Hart was on an island. Now, Hart was horrible on the island. But with how damn good he was in preseason, I really want to see the kid have someone next to him who isn't exacerbating his issues.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Hart wasn't getting thrown down flat on his butt last night. No one next to him was going to help him stand up. He was embarrassing. The bad news is flowers is worse than the two of them so last night was actually one of his better games. He'll be way worse going forward.

Jerry and Hart though? They couldn't block kindergarteners coming off a school bus.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Jets' defensive line, which still should be their strength, was pretty garbage yesterday. If they don't play better then the Jets, even with McCown, will fulfill the pessimistic projections of being a 1-2 win team. If they play they way they ought to be able to, they can still win 3-4 games.

McCown was okay. The fact that he saw such limited preseason action obviously hurt him. He also doesn't yet have full chemistry with Kearse, and obviously nothing yet with Kerley. Anderson is their only chance to stretch the field, but they looked pretty incapable of doing that yesterday. Buffalo sucks in general but still has a relatively stout defense. I was hoping they could score 17-20 points.

Bowles, I just don't get it. I don't understand why he has Hackenberg as the backup. Either throw him to the wolves or acknowledge he's terrible and just bench him. Petty is quite clearly the better quarterback and honestly might even be better than McCown at this point. But it doesn't matter, Bowles just does things on a whim. And then punting on 4th and 8 with like 4 minutes left. Come the **** on, man. I don't get it. I've been okay with Bowles but this offseason and now this first game has just been baffling.

Full speed ahead for that number one pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Holy ****. This is the stunt that I was talking about. Look at how bad Jerry plays this. Hart actually does it right and sticks with the blocker that switches to him. Jerry should've just fallen over if that was what he was going to do.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The Jets' defensive line, which still should be their strength, was pretty garbage yesterday. If they don't play better then the Jets, even with McCown, will fulfill the pessimistic projections of being a 1-2 win team. If they play they way they ought to be able to, they can still win 3-4 games.

McCown was okay. The fact that he saw such limited preseason action obviously hurt him. He also doesn't yet have full chemistry with Kearse, and obviously nothing yet with Kerley. Anderson is their only chance to stretch the field, but they looked pretty incapable of doing that yesterday. Buffalo sucks in general but still has a relatively stout defense. I was hoping they could score 17-20 points.

Bowles, I just don't get it. I don't understand why he has Hackenberg as the backup. Either throw him to the wolves or acknowledge he's terrible and just bench him. Petty is quite clearly the better quarterback and honestly might even be better than McCown at this point. But it doesn't matter, Bowles just does things on a whim. And then punting on 4th and 8 with like 4 minutes left. Come the **** on, man. I don't get it. I've been okay with Bowles but this offseason and now this first game has just been baffling.

Full speed ahead for that number one pick.

You think that Bowles is gone after this year?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
This is going to be a long, long season for the Jets. Their best option is to get a top pick and hopefully/finally get the franchise quarterback they've been seeking for a while now.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
McAdoo refuses to help the OTs and that's even more infuriating. McCarthy is the same in GB.

Gonna be a looooooong year.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Holy ****. This is the stunt that I was talking about. Look at how bad Jerry plays this. Hart actually does it right and sticks with the blocker that switches to him. Jerry should've just fallen over if that was what he was going to do.

NBC showed that replay 5-10 times last night and every time Collinsworth ripped those guys (rightfully so).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You think that Bowles is gone after this year?

Yeah probably. Although Maccagnan doesn't like giving up on his picks. Maybe he's the same with coaches? I mean Bowles has been dealt a truly ****** hand, so it's tough to evaluate him. He had a good debut season that he couldn't close out, a bad second campaign where he was sunk in large part by his QB and DBs, and then...this.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Neither a Jets nor Giants fan but damn you guys, brutal. I hope the Jets find a QB eventually and that Giants line looked worse than Seattle's last night

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Decided to sleep on this one before posting. But you all basically nailed it.

Odell is obviously a huge loss but it is magnified ten fold when the line is forcing Eli to check down constantly, move around constantly, and can't open much in the running game. Every single Giant fan could have told you it would be the pivot point for the season. Not off to a hot start.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Neither a Jets nor Giants fan but damn you guys, brutal. I hope the Jets find a QB eventually and that Giants line looked worse than Seattle's last night

Biggest difference:

The Jets fans know we're going to be bad. The Giants fans have somewhat lofty expectations for their team (playoffs or SB).

After watching some of the 3rd preseason game, the Giants O-Line was still going to be an issue. It was. Eli was also an issue. He's not that good.

I'm forever grateful that Eli got hot for 8 games (two sets of 4 consecutive games) to prevent Brady from having 7 rings, but Eli is easily the 3rd best QB drafted in the first round of the 04 draft. Would take him over Roethlisberger because Ben is a POS, but not a better QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad