OT: 2017 Football Thread II: Rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hopefully the last game Alex Smith ever starts at QB for the Chiefs.

Wouldn't mind a new coach, either at this point.

Isn't Manhomes supposed to be good? I feel like they're hanging onto Smith the way AV hangs on to Vesey.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Isn't Manhomes supposed to be good? I feel like they're hanging onto Smith the way AV hangs on to Vesey.
It'd be like the Leafs keeping Matthews in Switzerland for Bozak.

IMO. I was high on Mahomes before we drafted him. I think he'd be an upgrade on Smith right now. This team isn't going anywhere with how they've been playing, might as well let Mahomes get comfortable.

Reactions: Machinehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That was the Giants D I expected all season. Snacks was a monster yesterday. If we can get Saquon or a new franchise QB and a dynamic ILB this off-season, this team goes from 3 or 4 wins to 9 or 10 next year.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
That was the Giants D I expected all season. Snacks was a monster yesterday. If we can get Saquon or a new franchise QB and a dynamic ILB this off-season, this team goes from 3 or 4 wins to 9 or 10 next year.
Reese is never going to draft an impact LB. His track record with running backs is equally spotty. I have no confidence in his drafting record.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

We aren't drafting an ILB. They view BJ Goodson as the future.

If anything, we'd go OLB.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We aren't drafting an ILB. They view BJ Goodson as the future.

If anything, we'd go OLB.
I don't hate it, but he's gotta be on the field.

Should make it clear that I'd like Saquon, but, I'm fully expecting the new FO to pick their QB of the future. And if it's Reese, I'm fully expecting him to reach on a DB :)

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
If you're the Giants chances are you're picking in the top 5. In that you could possibly get a LT, Barkley, or your future QB. Personally I think O-Line is a spot they could improve upon and quickest make a turn around but you also need to replace Eli. Fixing the o-line and having a better record next year reduces your chances of finding the next QB the following year. Should be interesting, there's gonna be options at QB.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Whatever the Giants choose to do is fine as long as they stay away from Mayfield. Dude's a headcase and a headache.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If you're the Giants chances are you're picking in the top 5. In that you could possibly get a LT, Barkley, or your future QB. Personally I think O-Line is a spot they could improve upon and quickest make a turn around but you also need to replace Eli. Fixing the o-line and having a better record next year reduces your chances of finding the next QB the following year. Should be interesting, there's gonna be options at QB.

Another top 10 pick on an offensive line guy? Man would that be terrible.

We now have Ereck Flowers looking like a serviceable LT. Dude hasn't given up a sack since week 2. Why are we going to all of a sudden draft another LT? And who the hell would the top 5 LT even be? That would be one of the worst moves the franchise could possibly make.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Whatever the Giants choose to do is fine as long as they stay away from Mayfield. Dude's a headcase and a headache.
I think Mayfield has the tools to be an absolute star. He has definite maturity issues, but I don't view them as harshly as some others do. The flag thing, this crotch-grabbing thing, they're all nothing moments to me. The offseason thing with the the drinking and fleeing police and all that, that's something more concerning. However if my team does the digging and finds that this guy is a good kid who did a stupid thing, and there's not a bunch of other stuff that never came to light, I would absolutely take him.

The difference between Mayfield and, say, Manziel, is that Manziel was a douche AND lacked the skills to succeed. I don't know if Mayfield is a douche but I do believe he has the skills to succeed. I think Manziel also had some real entitlement issues, and also clearly some substance abuse issues.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think Mayfield has the tools to be an absolute star. He has definite maturity issues, but I don't view them as harshly as some others do. The flag thing, this crotch-grabbing thing, they're all nothing moments to me. The offseason thing with the the drinking and fleeing police and all that, that's something more concerning. However if my team does the digging and finds that this guy is a good kid who did a stupid thing, and there's not a bunch of other stuff that never came to light, I would absolutely take him.

The difference between Mayfield and, say, Manziel, is that Manziel was a *****e AND lacked the skills to succeed. I don't know if Mayfield is a *****e but I do believe he has the skills to succeed. I think Manziel also had some real entitlement issues, and also clearly some substance abuse issues.
The Giants never take guys with perceived character issues.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Honestly I think some of the Mayfield stuff is hilarious.

Assuming one doesn't commit crimes or destroy locker rooms I like non vanilla :laugh:

Reactions: nyr2k2

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The idea that the Giants don't take guys with character issues isn't exactly true. They tend not to take them with high picks, but in the 3rd or later? All bets are off. Hell, they did it just this past year with Avery Moss.

Reactions: klingsor

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The idea that the Giants don't take guys with character issues isn't exactly true. They tend not to take them with high picks, but in the 3rd or later? All bets are off. Hell, they did it just this past year with Avery Moss.
Right, and in general, guys with character issues tend to fall because of them. A lot of times you find borderline first round talents in the second or third rounds because of character issues. And the guys with real bad shit, they fall even later. First round picks are too valuable in the NFL to screw up so teams are rightfully scared of bad character guys, to a degree anyway. It's still the NFL and at the end of the day talent wins out.

The Baker Mayfield drunk/fleeing thing, that's obviously stupid and you'd want a kid you're about to invest a lot in to know better. At the same time, the way local police departments and universities bury shit for kids, I bet it happens more than any of us know. The crotch grabbing and flag planting, that to me is just a guy who gets too amped up and needs to learn to turn it down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad