2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like the top 3 you got...and that is the most important, because the other guys are just things that may stick on the wall.

I'm not sure we'd draft a Russian, but still like it.

Yeah, dunno if we'd take a Russian either, but decided to set that concern aside for the mock and go with what is hopefully the best value in Kostin.

Maxim Zkukov i wouldn't have any Russian factor concerns over. The guy showed he wanted to come over to North America to play in the USHL. Don't know anything about him personally, but that indicates to me he's probably highly focused on making it to the NHL.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
If Vegas obtains the NYI pick (15th), there might be decent opportunity to deal with them to move up from 23rd

I think it would be more likely that they acquire #23 in addition to #15. They don't really want a bunch of players; in fact, I believe it has been reported that they are more interested in picks than prospects/players. Yes, they'll want enough decent players to ice a good product this season, but they are more focused on the future as far as what I have read.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I think it would be more likely that they acquire #23 in addition to #15. They don't really want a bunch of players; in fact, I believe it has been reported that they are more interested in picks than prospects/players. Yes, they'll want enough decent players to ice a good product this season, but they are more focused on the future as far as what I have read.

My thought was that they might not mind too much moving back to 23 is this means that they get an extra pick out of us.

The next few days are going to be fascinating in every aspects!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Probably the final update of the aggregate site before Friday

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Vilardi at 7 and Hague at 23

I'm pretty sure they changed the format and it's no longer an aggregate. They mention that "team needs are loosely taken into consideration". I don't remember that verbiage in years past.

I wish it was just an aggregate. That's what was so useful about this site in the past.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Additionally, there is some speculation that the Canucks would take Makar if he's still available at 5, and that if he isn't, their selection will be between Glass and Pettersson.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Will be happy with any of Glass, Vilardi, or Mittlestadt - but I have a slight but nonetheless clear preference for Glass.

Draft seems to be shaping up that one of the three will be there. With the possibility that two of the three are if Pettersson goes top 6.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hischier is my clear cut #1. I like Vilardi a lot. I'm very intrigued by Makar. Necas seems like a great fit. I have reservations about Patrick, Glass, Mittelstadt, and Heiskanen who compose the rest of my top eight.

I like the raw upside on Glass. The growth spurt is interesting. And it sort of explains what it is that gives me pause about him; he looks like a stumbly bumbly klutz our there. Even in highlights he appears in a constant stage of falling down. He looks like a newborn baby deer on the ice.

I like the raw upside on Mittelstadt. It's amazing that he's so flashy given that he's an out of shape weakling who did as poorly at the combine as anyone since Rob Schremp. I mean damn. Plus he looks and sounds and comes off as an enourmous 13 year old boy. If the Gophers can make a man out of him, what's the upside? Off the charts, right? I worry though about his athleticism. What if it. Ever develops? Is he Kyle Wellwood? A perpetual boy physically?

I don't think Nolan Patrick likes being a hockey player. He's very aloof in interviews and on the ice. He strikes me as a kid who fell into this. I'm very worried about the bust potential here. I see no fire.

Heiskanen is fine but he's a LD. OEL and Chychrun. I mean damn.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
https://www.nhl.com/news/arizona-coyotes-look-to-build-core-at-nhl-draft/c-289974128?tid=277764372

This is the latest. Most talented player at every pick... Not certain how much that gets followed, but I think the article describes where Chayka's thoughts are at regarding the team.

"I think you want to have as many draft picks as possible in any draft," Chayka said. "I don't think this draft is any different from that. There's pockets of really high-end, elite players. You hope you can time it and get in the right position to get those players you really feel passionate about and really believe in."

Amen.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Does Goligoski demand out given with what's going on? Opens up a LD spot.
I doubt he'd have to demand it, I suspect Barroway would ship him off within seconds of him waiving his NTC.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Looks like the top five is shaping to be:

1. NJD - Hischier
2. PHI - Patrick
3. DAL - Vilardi/Heiskanen
4. COL - Makar/Heiskanen
5. VAN - Makar/Glass/Pettersson

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Looks like the top five is shaping to be:

1. NJD - Hischier
2. PHI - Patrick
3. DAL - Vilardi/Heiskanen
4. COL - Makar/Heiskanen
5. VAN - Makar/Glass/Pettersson

Not saying that I am crazy about this idea, but if Colorado is pretty high on taking a defenseman early, do we look at moving up to the #4 spot, just in case Vilardi/Glass are the players at the top of Vancouver and Vegas' boards?

Does #7 and #23 for #4 and #32 get it done?

rt

May 13, 2004
If Vancouver has fallen in love with both Pettersson and Glass (and it sounds like they have, and are completely torn up about the choice between the two) and if Nico/Nolan go 1/2 and Heiskanen goes 3 and Colorado really does shoot the moon with Makar at 4, then I have to think Vancouver would love to trade us Vilardi (5th overall) for a nice asset, while still having a guarantee that one of Pettersson or Glass will still be available for them at #7.

7+35+69 for 5+55+95

1.NJD-Hischier
2.PHI-Patrick
3.DAL-Heiskanen
4.COL-Makar
5.ARI-Vilardi
6.VGK-Glass/Pettersson
7.VAN-Pettersson/Glass

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If Vancouver has fallen in love with both Pettersson and Glass (and it sounds like they have, and are completely torn up about the choice between the two) and if Nico/Nolan go 1/2 and Heiskanen goes 3 and Colorado really does shoot the moon with Makar at 4, then I have to think Vancouver would love to trade us Vilardi (5th overall) for a nice asset, while still having a guarantee that one of Pettersson or Glass will still be available for them at #7.

7+35+69 for 5+55+95

1.NJD-Hischier
2.PHI-Patrick
3.DAL-Heiskanen
4.COL-Makar
5.ARI-Vilardi
6.VGK-Glass/Pettersson
7.VAN-Pettersson/Glass
I feel like Vilardi projects to be Dvorak 2.0. That seem about right or am I underrating him? To be clear I'm totally ok with that as I like Dvorak, just trying to align my expectations properly should they end up with Vilardi.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like Vilardi projects to be Dvorak 2.0. That seem about right or am I underrating him? To be clear I'm totally ok with that as I like Dvorak, just trying to align my expectations properly should they end up with Vilardi.

Vilardi would be more like Mark Stone 2.0 if he pans out.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Some talk that Vegas could pile some of their picks together to move up to 2 for Patrick. Makes sense given the McCrimmon ties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad