2017 Draft Discussion - Part Deux

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We've got options.

You forgot Glass. Too early for Suzuki.

It's nice to have competent scouts. Probably don't have to worry about them doing something dumb like picking Rasmussen.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
You forgot Glass. Too early for Suzuki.

It's nice to have competent scouts. Probably don't have to worry about them doing something dumb like picking Rasmussen.

Going off of RT's "likely" scenario, Glass is gone at 5

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Vancouver just strikes me as liking safe, defensively responsible types like Horvat, Virtanen(lol-didn't turn out), and Juolevi. Glass seems right. Plus he's a big C and a Western kid. Just seems very Vancouver. Maybe Dallas does us a favor and takes Heiskanen and Colorado gets so damned D desperate that they just pull the trigger way early on Liljegren or Makar? That'd be cool. Maybe Vegas wants "Flash" first and foremost and NHL-ready as the secondary option. Maybe they like Tippett as a result. Fans don't have to wait long and he's a coast-to-coast bull. Also has no use for linemates which will benefit him on a lowly expansion team. Might actually be a smart pick for them.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Even though it's a lower pick in a worse draft, look for Vegas to go for someone they can build their identity around, a la Rick Nash, Ilya Kovalchuk, or Marian Gaborik (or even David Legwand). I don't think they take a defenseman or a complementary scorer like Tippett. Just a hunch.

Also think there's something to the rumblings that Benning loves Mittelstadt. Feel confident he's gone before 7.

Dallas, because they haven't had such a high pick in so long, seems unlikely to go off the board, but I think Colorado could be the one that goes off the board.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Vancouver just strikes me as liking safe, defensively responsible types like Horvat, Virtanen(lol-didn't turn out), and Juolevi. Glass seems right. Plus he's a big C and a Western kid. Just seems very Vancouver.

Been reading the Canucks boards after the lottery: apparently Benning has indicated that drafting a playmaking center and a PP QB defenseman are their top priorities this year. Glass and Mittlestadt obviously fit the former, but Liljegren and Makar fit the latter too (and also don't forget Makar is a Western kid). Unless someone like Jokiharju or Brannstrom are still around at the top of the 2nd, the top offensive D in this draft will be gone when the Canucks pick again.

Consensus among Stars HFers seems like they'll go with Heiskanen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I did forget Glass. So that makes 8 right shooting skaters that could be considered in the top ten. My order for those 8...

Patrick
Necas
Glass
Suzuki
Liljegren
Vilardi
Makar
Tippett

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
My Realistic order of wants

Glass
Vlardi
Necas
Trade down around Suzuki
Liljegren
Tippet
Makar

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
I think if Tippett's last name was douchewitz, he'd be ranked higher on this board.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I could see Chayka taking Makar if his advanced stats check out. I'm not a fan of drafting players from unusual leagues, like the AJHL or high school (Mittelstadt) but I trust Chayka. Keller was not a safe pick at 7 last year and he's looking like one of the top picks from the draft so I trust whatever decision we make.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I could see Chayka taking Makar if his advanced stats check out. I'm not a fan of drafting players from unusual leagues, like the AJHL or high school (Mittelstadt) but I trust Chayka. Keller was not a safe pick at 7 last year and he's looking like one of the top picks from the draft so I trust whatever decision we make.

I don't think Keller's situation is comparable. The USNDP plays against older college teams, slightly older USHL teams and wraps up the season against the best players in the world of the same age, usually by winning gold, at the U18 World Championship. It's a highly respected program and Keller destroyed his competition all the way through. I would argue that he was a very safe pick.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Keller had just finished one of the best USDT careers of all time...right up there with Matthews, Kane, and Kessel. Dont think he was a big reach at 7.

No substitute for speed, skating ability and offensive talent.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I don't think Keller's situation is comparable. The USNDP plays against older college teams, slightly older USHL teams and wraps up the season against the best players in the world of the same age, usually by winning gold, at the U18 World Championship. It's a highly respected program and Keller destroyed his competition all the way through. I would argue that he was a very safe pick.

He wasn't projected to go at 7. I don't think I saw one mock draft that had Keller going ahead of Nylander, and most had us taking a defencemen which would have been the safest option.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He wasn't projected to go at 7. I don't think I saw one mock draft that had Keller going ahead of Nylander, and most had us taking a defencemen which would have been the safest option.

I dunno Logan Brown talk was pretty popular for 7. Pretty sure he won our "vote" in the HF mock. Keller was on my radar and I know he was on Pho's. I don't think he was a reach at 7 come draft day since his stock was constantly going up.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015

There was a bunch that did

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

his average draft position was 8, so 7 wasn't a reach at all

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/2016-nhl-draft-consensus-rankings/

Keller was the pick i wanted at 7, if he was off the table then Chychrun was my next choice.... Imagine how happy i was on draft day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad