WC: 2017 Division I, II, III

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Rendulic had a couple of moments of brilliance in the game today but apart from that he has been quite poor in this tournament, you wouldn't think this guy got a few games in the show the past 2 years. I was genuinely worried about playing Croatia in the opening game when GB often have slow starts, but he and the whole team have been disappointing.

Well, partially I can agree with you that his drive and intensity could be better, especially without the puck, but point-wise he gets the job done.:)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The elevator got stuck this year.

Kind of. Elevator down is still in good condition, I think.

Lithuanian guys like Bosas are wasted playing in the leagues that they do. Imagine how good he would be at international level if he challenged himself in a better, faster league instead of dominating the English league

In a way that is true since Lithuanians never really broke into any relevant European leagues and teams in those most likely just avoid signing them as an unproved commodity. It would be really nice to break into the market of MOL Liga, France or Alps HL just to give Lithuanian guys a chance to play professionally and be easier to spot for bigger league (like EBEL) clubs.

But at the same time, Bosas did play in Kazakhstan and Poland and didn't impress. To me, he is exactly the kind of player who dominates weaker competition and disappears against equal hence his rather unimpressive numbers internationally as well. I've always considered Donatas Kumeliauskas to be the better player and was shocked when Bosas outscored him this badly in the EPIHL.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

In a way that is true since Lithuanians never really broke into any relevant European leagues and teams in those most likely just avoid signing them as an unproved commodity. It would be really nice to break into the market of MOL Liga, France or Alps HL just to give Lithuanian guys a chance to play professionally and be easier to spot for bigger league (like EBEL) clubs.

But at the same time, Bosas did play in Kazakhstan and Poland and didn't impress. To me, he is exactly the kind of player who dominates weaker competition and disappears against equal hence his rather unimpressive numbers internationally as well. I've always considered Donatas Kumeliauskas to be the better player and was shocked when Bosas outscored him this badly in the EPIHL.

I think Bosas has been excellent this tournament and so has Cizas, despite being quite poor in the EPIHL. Cizas is a prime example​ of why GB should be looking at younger scoring players in the EPIHL who have outscored him and giving them a chance rather the same old grinders in the EIHL. The elitist figures in the EIHL always pooh pooh the EPIHL then the GB team full of EIHL players sometimes struggles against Lithuania and their EPIHL players, and plays in a lower division than Poland with their EPIHL guys.

I remember when Stevie Lyle got an international emergency call up after he "retired" and the GB media men with EIHL bias were all like "oh he doesn't face shots like this in the EPIHL" then this year GB played against Poland's​ EPIHL goalie in a warm-up game and lost.

Generally it does help to be playing at a higher level, Evan Mosey has shown that this year, he is so much quicker after playing the whole year in the AHL/ECHL all year rather than the EIHL. So I can't help but wonder if the same would be true for Bosas. However I don't think this applies for EIHL and EPIHL because the EIHL is mostly full of floaters and very little intensity, however much they kid themselves that it's a more physical league than a typical European one just because they have fights.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, generally what you are saying is very true I think. Cizas improved massively compared to last year and it has to be thanks to him playing his first pro season.

Bosas will sign elsewhere this year hopefully, he really has nothing left to prove in the EPIHL. He stayed this year because they threw a lot of money at him but it has to be time to move on. I actually just now realized he is still only 26 so his poor-ish performance in Kazakhstan has to be attributed to his young age at the time.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

I wouldn't mind to see Krakauskas in Medvescak. Way inferior, and probably much more expensive than him, foreginers played in Medvescak during first EBEL era. He could be something like Bjorkstrand was in KHL, low risk high reward signing. Same for Cizas.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Estonia wins against the Netherlands 4-3 after surprisingly close game. Croatia finishes in 5th place, realistically that's where they should be looking at their hockey system. Hopefully it doesn't encourage them to just Cronuck it up in the future.

I wouldn't mind to see Krakauskas in Medvescak. Way inferior, and probably much more expensive than him, foreginers played in Medvescak during first EBEL era. He could be something like Bjorkstrand was in KHL, low risk high reward signing. Same for Cizas.

I'm pretty sure Krakauskas isn't moving out of Switzerland anytime soon. Biel will either find a spot for him on their team or loan him to NLB in the worst case. Cizas I don't think is ready for the league as good as EBEL yet (if ever), he needs to score over PPG in a crap league like EPIHL first.

Guys who need to find foreign clubs the most are Cypas, Protcenko, Bendzius and Rybakov. Others are mostly in OK position. Pavliukov as well I guess, when you think about it. But it's tough for goalies.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for Great Britian as well. Let'see if they can get promoted to the main tournament for 2019 as well next year.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Good for Great Britian as well. Let'see if they can get promoted to the main tournament for 2019 as well next year.

That may be a little to optimistic for the British team; just staying in Division IA next year would be a good result for them.

Going to be a very competitive tournament though, with all of Kazakhstan, Hungary, (and likely) Slovenia and Italy there. Really hope the era of the same four teams elevatoring between Elite and IA is over.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
That may be a little to optimistic for the British team; just staying in Division IA next year would be a good result for them.

Going to be a very competitive tournament though, with all of Kazakhstan, Hungary, (and likely) Slovenia and Italy there. Really hope the era of the same four teams elevatoring between Elite and IA is over.

I agree - simply staying there would be a major achievement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad