OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's September, I'm not rooting against the Jets now just like I wasn't rooting for the Devils to lose in October the last few years. I think it's good to go 7-9 IF you get contributions from the Macc draft picks/young players although McCown playing and Petty not getting another shot isn't ideal. It would be a horrible 7-9 if they had a bunch of vets around, but really they cleaned most of them out. If they go 1-15 and all of this regime's young players go splat why would I be optomistic about Macc making the right choices even if the QB was a blue chip pick?

Besides I still don't think they'll even get to 7 wins, unless they played your garbage team every week perhaps :P

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This game said way more about how garbage Blake Bortles is than it does about the Jets. I can't see more than 4-12.

I can understand the saltiness after that hilarious Dolphin display today, though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Dolphins are terrible. I've readily admitted that.

If any Jets fan thinks that winning a couple meaningless games this year is a good thing, I don't know what to tell them. I'm actually happy they've won a couple. Hopefully take them out of the running for one of the QBs in this draft.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I could see the Jets getting another couple wins in the first half...but that second half schedule is brutal. I'd still bet on 5-11 but I'd take that and production out of younger players like Adams, Williams, Powell/McGuire, a couple of the o-line, etc. I just loathed the 1-15, 0-16 talk before the season, the media and other fans were all too happy to mock the Jets preemptively. And the joke of it is most of the guys the Jets cut where they were ostensibly tanking like Rachel Phelps in Major League have done absolutely nothing since leaving - Mangold and Revis haven't even caught on, Marshall's part of another loser locker room dropping key passes, Harris got cut from a bad D, etc.

Let them draft 10 and pick next year's Deshaun Watson (he went at 12 this year iirc). Or pick Prescott/Russel Wilson in a middle round. QB's don't just come from the top five in the draft. Look at frigging Blake Bortles, another top five bust :P

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
2-2 for the 'worst team in NFL history'...the haters can eat it some more :p

NFL "experts" just last month:

Prediction 1) The Jets may be the worst team in the last 20 years (now 2-2)
Prediction 2) The Giants have a shot at the SuperBowl this season (now 0-4)
Prediction 3) The Eagles will finish in last place in the NFC East (now 3-1)

Please high-paid, NFL Illuminati, tell me more!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
NFL "experts" just last month:

Prediction 1) The Jets may be the worst team in the last 20 years (now 2-2)
Prediction 2) The Giants have a shot at the SuperBowl this season (now 0-4)
Prediction 3) The Eagles will finish in last place in the NFC East (now 3-1)

Please high-paid, NFL Illuminati, tell me more!

Don't forget the Bills - they're a far more shocking 3-1 than the Eagles. They were supposed to be tanking too, after all :P

It would be just our luck as Jet/Eagle fans that the Giants wound up lucking into one of the QB's at the top of the draft when this season blows up and McAdon't gets fired. The Jets-Giants switcharoo is starting to look little like the Yankee-Met switcharoo when the Yankees were supposed to be rebuilding and the Mets were supposed to be the playoff team and voila the Yankees make the postseason while the Mets win 70 games and the manager gets fired.

Last edited:

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Another trash game by the Raiders offense. Especially Carr and the O-Line need to get their shit together. Also a great game by Khalil Mack once again with 2 sacks and 3 tackles for loss.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
As a Jets fan, it's all hilarious. :laugh:

It's like clockwork. Season with expectations? Take a big, fat dump. Season with no expectations? Get just enough wins to avoid picking a franchise player.

As NJDevs26 mentioned, their schedule gets immensely harder after next week against the Browns. Pats 2x, Falcons, Bills (hey, they're good enough so far), Bucs, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos and Saints on the road.

Their record will still be pretty bad most likely, but I'll enjoy my wins while I can. Being the same record as the Patriots a quarter into the season while the Giants/Brandon Marshall sit at 0-4 after he left to play for a "contender" is too funny not to enjoy.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I just hope this stops the talk about Eli being a first ballot HoFer.

Unless this guy has an amazeballs receiver, he's just kinda, average

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Bills have had the 3rd toughest schedule in the league so far and are a rookie drop on the last play of the game away from being 4-0.

AFTER losing Gilmour, Watkins, Darby, Ragland, and +20 other starters from last season.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pump the brakes on the Jets hysteria.

They beat two miserable Florida teams.

With that said, they will win at least 3 or 4 more games as I predicted in the preseason

Starting this week over the Cleveland Clowns.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I'm not a Giants fan, but that's totally unfair. It's not easy throwing a football while on your back, and the Giants offensive line has been terrible.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm not a Giants fan, but that's totally unfair. It's not easy throwing a football while on your back, and the Giants offensive line has been terrible.

Maybe I'm being harsh. His offensive line is as porous as a sponge. And he's being asked to do a lot without a running game either. And his top receiver is playing on a bum ankle. But I expect more.

And that's because he will be a hall of famer. He's going to pass some QB titans statistically. Also, he put the team on his back in 2011-12.

I just don't think that he should get in on the first ballot. He's had some really good years, but he's also had some really pedestrian ones. Comparing him with his generation of QBs, he's not in the top 5. I have big brother, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, and Roethlisberger (but only by a groin hair).

I guess that also depends on who would be on the ballot when he's eligible.

I will be forever grateful to him for denying pretty boy two more super bowls.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

Eli is a Hall of Famer. First ballot? Not sure. But he's going into the Hall

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Don't forget the Bills - they're a far more shocking 3-1 than the Eagles. They were supposed to be tanking too, after all :p

It would be just our luck as Jet/Eagle fans that the Giants wound up lucking into one of the QB's at the top of the draft when this season blows up and McAdon't gets fired. The Jets-Giants switcharoo is starting to look little like the Yankee-Met switcharoo when the Yankees were supposed to be rebuilding and the Mets were supposed to be the playoff team and voila the Yankees make the postseason while the Mets win 70 games and the manager gets fired.

For what it's worth the Giants never fire coaches after two years. They're too proud for that. It's an admittance that they messed up and messed up badly. And it looks like the Darnold chatter is that he's staying another year. Somehow I feel the Jets will end up with Cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad