• New York Yankees

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Minnesota Twins

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
As a female who once wanted to be a sportscaster I have wanted her to succeed and can only imagine the hatred she is getting directed to her on Twitter just for being a woman. That said, she and the rest of this crew are boring with no chemistry. I gave her a pass for a long time, but she still says things that are such head scratchers like "this is not the Aaron Judge you see, he hits homers".

And ESPN will def keep bad announcers around, just look how long of a rope Schilling got.
The problem I have is all national MLB broadcasts are boring as hell. Baseball is inherently boring and local announcers make jokes and provide a lot of schtick to help pass all the downtime. National broadcasts don’t do that. All they do is over-analyze everything and give you backstories on topics no one cares about.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

I don't hate her but she really doesn't add anything in my opinion. Dan Shulman or whoever will say something or make an observation and she'll chime in with something like "I'm glad you mentioned that, Dan, because you're exactly right. (insert observation here) is something that happens a lot." Obviously I am paraphrasing but I just find it to be useless filler for the most part.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Looks like my prediction was right that Judge would hit one home run :D it wasn't hard to guess that though.

The Yanks/Indians series looks like it's going to be really good!

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
I mean I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't have cable so I barely watch any games on TV. But I am very attuned to social media and Reddit and Jessica Mendoza is constantly a topic of ire. Perhaps it's because of her gender because I doubt ESPN would keep her around if she was doing a bad job as a reporter. I mean if you want to explain why she is so bad, go ahead and do it. I'm curious.

"lol i don't know what you guys are complaining about! i mean, i don't watch any of the games she covers so i have no context but if you wanna explain to me, i'll pretend to listen"

she's accomplished in her own world of softball which is great. i gave her a chance too when she started, laughed at the guys who were too afraid of having a woman on their television during primetime who wasn't baking a cake. i've listened to her on olney's podcast which she's on every week. i've tried.

her particular skills don't lend themselves to an entire baseball game. she's into the human interest stories and banal stats. she did an exhaustive inning plus retrospective on addison reed's pokemon card collection during a game. she talks endlessly about certain player's "cookie zones". she doesn't contribute to a discussion she memorizes her talking point and either talks over whoever is talking or brings it up when it's not needed. she's not a good broadcaster. she's a good analyst but let's be honest, she examines player's mechanics...something most players can do. what sets her apart is that she is a woman doing it in a man's sport. hey, if you're good at it, good for you. she's not. i've listened to her on olney's podcast. she doesn't do analysis, she espn's stories about how players or teams "want it more".

most of the people who complain about her are people who watch a lot of baseball and don't like what she brings to a broadcast. it has nothing to do with what is between her legs and everything to do with the material she presents and how she presents it.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Everyone complains about announcers, everyone hated Tim mcCarver and Joe Morgan to and they had long baseball resumes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I want more women in broadcast roles, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blindly defend them.

Mendoza simply is a bad, but it isn't just her. The entire ESPN crew is terrible. Actually the entire broadcast was bad. Bad commentary, the camera angles were all over the place. Amateur hour all around.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
yeah, the entire team is bad but she's a standout on her own.

i wish dan shulman all the best but he was like a dopey sitcom dad for most of his tenure on sunday night baseball, whether he was making fat jokes to john kruk or his obsession with aaron boone as though boone was anything but a good player at his peak. shulman defers to him like he's got an inner-circle hall of famer in the booth with him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
yeah, the entire team is bad but she's a standout on her own.

i wish dan shulman all the best but he was like a dopey sitcom dad for most of his tenure on sunday night baseball, whether he was making fat jokes to john kruk or his obsession with aaron boone as though boone was anything but a good player at his peak. shulman defers to him like he's got an inner-circle hall of famer in the booth with him.

I like Shulman's play by play and he's a smart enough baseball guy but he really did dumb things down for Sunday night baseball and play to the lowest common denominator. The whole thing needs an overhaul badly.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
"lol i don't know what you guys are complaining about! i mean, i don't watch any of the games she covers so i have no context but if you wanna explain to me, i'll pretend to listen"

she's accomplished in her own world of softball which is great. i gave her a chance too when she started, laughed at the guys who were too afraid of having a woman on their television during primetime who wasn't baking a cake. i've listened to her on olney's podcast which she's on every week. i've tried.

her particular skills don't lend themselves to an entire baseball game. she's into the human interest stories and banal stats. she did an exhaustive inning plus retrospective on addison reed's pokemon card collection during a game. she talks endlessly about certain player's "cookie zones". she doesn't contribute to a discussion she memorizes her talking point and either talks over whoever is talking or brings it up when it's not needed. she's not a good broadcaster. she's a good analyst but let's be honest, she examines player's mechanics...something most players can do. what sets her apart is that she is a woman doing it in a man's sport. hey, if you're good at it, good for you. she's not. i've listened to her on olney's podcast. she doesn't do analysis, she espn's stories about how players or teams "want it more".

most of the people who complain about her are people who watch a lot of baseball and don't like what she brings to a broadcast. it has nothing to do with what is between her legs and everything to do with the material she presents and how she presents it.

Just another one of his silly hot takes.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
It's really a shame that you can't think Mendoza sucks without being called a sexist. I didn't mind her at first but she's just not good. And if ESPN did replace her those cries get even louder. It's like how Jemele Hill has a job for life because of her Trump comments. No way ESPN can replace/fire a minority woman who is anti-Trump. There'd be protests outside the building. And Hill has always sucked. As a writer, as an ATH panelist and on the SC6 abortion.

Boone isn't any better than Mendoza and the entire ESPN broadcast is a joke. It seems like the entire thing is stupid anecdotes.

I really miss Jon Miller doing PBP, not that Shulman's bad, but Miller was great, and Shulman definitely dumbed down to his colleagues level.

Did they announce who is replacing Shulman yet? I hope it's not Jon Schiambi, he's even worse when it comes to talking about everything else but the game.

If they want a 3-man booth get a good PBP guy, some former player who's better at color than Aaron Boone (I liked Glanville but he was part of the purge) and then put like an analytics guy like Jonah Keri up there and if not them then I'm fine with Kurkjian or Olney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad