Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
That’s comparing them in a vacuum. And it’s not really what happens, of course Silf > Cogs. But if Silf is asking for 5 million a year then suddenly he is not as valuable to us - or how do we measure what Cogs means to the locker room?

Both guys serve separate purposes.

You also have Henrique on the roster now, and you need to consider where he fits in the long-term.

I definitely don’t think it’s as simple as Cogliano or Silfverberg.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I do think out of Cogs, Henrique and Silf.. easiest to replace would be Silf. Not saying we have players like him, but with the emergence of Kase it makes it easier to swallow

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
We're extremely right-handed, so while none of them possess the same set of skills as Silfverberg, I think we could replace him the easiest of the 3 (talking about Cogs and Rico). We have Perry, Kase, and Eaves if he comes back. Those are 3 top 6 RW's. And that doesn't even count Rakell who is playing on the left, and the possible addition of Terry.

Of course Silf is better than Cogs, but the question is Silf at say 5M or 5.5M more valuable than Cogs at 3.25M?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
We're extremely right-handed, so while none of them possess the same set of skills as Silfverberg, I think we could replace him the easiest of the 3 (talking about Cogs and Rico). We have Perry, Kase, and Eaves if he comes back. Those are 3 top 6 RW's. And that doesn't even count Rakell who is playing on the left, and the possible addition of Terry.

Of course Silf is better than Cogs, but the question is Silf at say 5M or 5.5M more valuable than Cogs at 3.25M?

Also consider trade values too. Silf should bring back more then Cogs would of IMO

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm really curious to see what Karlsson gets in a trade. No matter what happens, if Ottawa does trade him I don't think they come out ahead. The term is going to keep the value down, in my opinion.

I imagine it is way too rich for Anaheim's blood either way, but man that would be intriguing. Probably the only two players I wouldn't be willing to move for him are Getzlaf and Lindholm. There is a real risk in it, though, because he can't be signed until the off-season. At best, you can talk to him and have a non-binding verbal agreement.

Reactions: Vipers31

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The best return they will get for Karlsson will be in the summer. They will want young established NHLers (at least one if not two) which no contending team is gonna be willing to give up during a playoff run. Not to mention the salary considerations any team would have, all of which are more easily sorted out in the summer thereby allowing more teams to maybe be seriously interested. All, of course, IMHO.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The best return they will get for Karlsson will be in the summer. They will want young established NHLers (at least one if not two) which no contending team is gonna be willing to give up during a playoff run. Not to mention the salary considerations any team would have, all of which are more easily sorted out in the summer thereby allowing more teams to maybe be seriously interested. All, of course, IMHO.

I mostly agree with that.

I do think a playoff team might consider giving up one, but probably not two, of those young established NHL players at the deadline just because it's Karlsson. Even if he doesn't look like he's at his best, he's a dynamic player out there and just adding him to the roster adds a major offensive weapon. It depends on what you're giving up, but if it's mostly high value picks and prospects, with that young NHLer, the loss might be easier to take.

The thing is, I really don't think Ottawa will be in any rush to move him. They can afford to listen to offers at the deadline, and hold on to him if they don't like what they are seeing. That could also bite them in the ass, if they get a really good one but think they do better, but this is a situation where waiting is probably the smarter play.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I mostly agree with that.

I do think a playoff team might consider giving up one, but probably not two, of those young established NHL players at the deadline just because it's Karlsson. Even if he doesn't look like he's at his best, he's a dynamic player out there and just adding him to the roster adds a major offensive weapon. It depends on what you're giving up, but if it's mostly high value picks and prospects, with that young NHLer, the loss might be easier to take.

The thing is, I really don't think Ottawa will be in any rush to move him. They can afford to listen to offers at the deadline, and hold on to him if they don't like what they are seeing. That could also bite them in the ass, if they get a really good one but think they do better, but this is a situation where waiting is probably the smarter play.
I suppose a team might give up one young established guy at the TDL in a deal for EK. But if I'm OTT, any deal has to include guys already established or sure fire bets to be. They cannot afford to just get a bunch of picks and guys who might be good in a few years. They need talent back now. Which I still believe is more beneficial to them if done in the summer.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I suppose a team might give up one young established guy at the TDL in a deal for EK. But if I'm OTT, any deal has to include guys already established or sure fire bets to be. They cannot afford to just get a bunch of picks and guys who might be good in a few years. They need talent back now. Which I still believe is more beneficial to them if done in the summer.

Yeah, I agree. That package I mentioned was more hypothetical on the playoff team side of things, but that definitely doesn't mean it makes sense for Ottawa and that's a whole lot of question marks for an elite player. If we were talking about a top 3 pick, or a blue chip prospect, maybe that changes things, but no team can guarantee the former and off the top of my head I'm not sure there is a can't miss already drafted prospect out there that qualifies as legitimately blue chip(meaning can't miss player with star potential, and all but guaranteed to be a top six player).

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

That's interesting, he says in a follow up tweet that the Flames offered better picks. Flames picked 6th that year, no way they part with that one and they didn't pick until around 50 in the 2nd round so it must have been their first from 2017 instead. Steel and Comtois are both looking like great picks so I'm totally fine with our return for Freddie, and really glad he didn't end up as a Flame.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

That's interesting, he says in a follow up tweet that the Flames offered better picks. Flames picked 6th that year, no way they part with that one and they didn't pick until around 50 in the 2nd round so it must have been their first from 2017 instead. Steel and Comtois are both looking like great picks so I'm totally fine with our return for Freddie, and really glad he didn't end up as a Flame.

BM was wise not to let him go to Calgary.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He’s on a good run but he’s still the same streaky guy we had. I’m somewhat glad he didn’t go to Calgary because as bad as Andersen could be in the playoffs he’s no where near as bad as Elliott was last year for them ha. Easiest 1st round win ever.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He’s on a good run but he’s still the same streaky guy we had. I’m somewhat glad he didn’t go to Calgary because as bad as Andersen could be in the playoffs he’s no where near as bad as Elliott was last year for them ha. Easiest 1st round win ever.
I'm never going to forgive Andersen for that goal he gave up to Toews :laugh:

I know we won the game, but that comeback completely flipped that series and Andersen played like ass the last 2 games of the series

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm never going to forgive Andersen for that goal he gave up to Toews :laugh:

I know we won the game, but that comeback completely flipped that series and Andersen played like ass the last 2 games of the series

Yeah I'll never forget that Chicago series and the Dallas series also, his playoff record is pretty up and down. He's a good goalie but not an elite top 5 guy like the Eastern media makes him out to be.

Oct 18, 2011
That’s comparing them in a vacuum. And it’s not really what happens, of course Silf > Cogs. But if Silf is asking for 5 million a year then suddenly he is not as valuable to us - or how do we measure what Cogs means to the locker room?

Both guys serve separate purposes.
I'd spend the extra money to keep silf and trade cogs any day of the week. Silf is better and younger, and he consistently performs in the playoffs

Reactions: DuckRogers10
Oct 18, 2011
If you look and Gibson's advanced numbers vs Andersen's, it's pretty f***ing hilarious how some are trying to say Fred is an MVP candidate when Gibson is either very close, or better in those same categories, and not a single word from the hockey media about how well he's played this year.

John Gibson actually leads the entire league in save% while his team is short handed, his expected save% differential is first, his save % against high danger chances is first, yet he gets virtually no recognition for his play

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
If you look and Gibson's advanced numbers vs Andersen's, it's pretty ****ing hilarious how some are trying to say Fred is an MVP candidate when Gibson is either very close, or better in those same categories, and not a single word from the hockey media about how well he's played this year.

John Gibson actually leads the entire league in save% while his team is short handed, his expected save% differential is first, his save % against high danger chances is first, yet he gets virtually no recognition for his play

Also one of the most overlooked things is his overall save%. I saw a statistic floating around earlier on where Tuukka Rask was named the s% leader in all of NHL history as he went on a tear and climbed up to top the statistic for now. But when that same statistic was adjusted for the first 10 years of anyone's career, Gibson was up there THIRD. Only behind Hasek and someone else whom I can't remember. The man is unreal.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If you look and Gibson's advanced numbers vs Andersen's, it's pretty ****ing hilarious how some are trying to say Fred is an MVP candidate when Gibson is either very close, or better in those same categories, and not a single word from the hockey media about how well he's played this year.

The reason Leaf fans all have Freddie ranked so high is they use some bizarre system of "after x random date his save % is this".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad