Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think Galchenuk would prob be the piece we were most interested in... Patches is probably a little too expensive for us(trade cost, not money)... Were in kind of a bad situations... the injuries are bad enough to warrant not making moves to try to bolster the team.... at the same time if everyone comes back according to time frame, we should have a good enough team, and long enough to make our way back through the standings. I'm guessing management is not ready to move our 1st in fear that the injuries keep adding up and the 1st becomes a top 10 pick or better. Realistically I cant see us making a significant move until we are in a more comfortable position.

But just pure speculation, for chucky or patches id assume Larsson would be the guy the Canadians would be targeting. If they preferred centers Steel/Terry would likely be the targets. And if they wanted French-canadians we got morand and comtois ;)

Lol, pass on the French guys.

What about Montour. Offensively I see he is putting up good numbers, what about all around game and what do you see as a reasonable ceiling?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010

What about Montour. Offensively I see he is putting up good numbers, what about all around game and what do you see as a reasonable ceiling?
Montour has as much chance of happening as Anaheim having a healthy roster this season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Montour isn't going anywhere. This team can't afford to part with a key contributor still on an ELC.

Honestly I think someone else will make a better offer on Pacioretty. The Ducks don't have the room to sign him to a big extension when you look at our cap situation moving forward. Our GM has repeatedly stated he will not trade his top young assets for short term gain.

Taking that into consideration, I really wouldn't expect Anaheim to give up more (for 1.5 years of Patches) than a team who thinks they can sign him. LW also isn't our biggest need.

Now Galchenyuk is a player we can use, and with his cost certainty that could be a fit. Not a chance in heck you're going to pry Montour away though.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I do think Vatanen can turn his game around, but I am a little worried that he won't and we will wait too long to trade him so we'll be stuck with that contract.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Montour probably not moving(vatanen is more likey to be moved). Offesensively he is dynamic, rocket shot and all over the ice.. still has room to grow defensively but honestly hasnt been too bad on either side of the puck, that being said hes probably the most sheltered dmen on the team. Reasonable ceiling is kinda tough to say... i couldnt really give you a good comparison... but hes a very exciting player to watch.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Benefits far outweigh the risk IMO, I'd jump at the chance to get RNH around a deal for Vatanen. Realistically Vatanen has been bumped down to our #5 D (or a #4.5D at best ) assuming Montour continues his upward trajectory and Vatanen hasn't really shown any signs he'd return to the form he showed between 2014 and 2016. We'd be getting a guy who could be a mainstay down the middle of the team for the next decade.

It makes Edmonton stronger, as Vatanen is a solid 2nd pairing guy but it would make Anaheim far stronger as we're desperate for a good center and RNH is a pretty good guy to have to take on more minutes when Getz and Kes start to slow down and need fewer minutes. Obviously financials would be a bigger issue as that's a lot of money to tie up into 3 centers, but a RNH who's still young is the type of center you'd want to sink that money into opposed to a Krecji (that some Boston guy suggested a few weeks ago).

Not that it's realistic as they'd probably want way more then Vatanen, but one can dream :laugh:

Even if they'd take only Vatanen (which is unlikely enough while RNH is having a career year), 6M is a lot to sink into a 3C. Thats >21M in centers alone as well as putting us over the cap. (Per Cap Friendly we only have 130.541 cap space available). That's even before we get to next year when Fowler and Manson's raises kick in and we still need to re-sign Montour, Kase and Cogs (lesser re-signs : Kosilla, Roy, Grant, Shaw, Wagner). Yes, we have some leaving, but we will need to replace the bodies and personally I'd rather they didn't do it entirely with bargain basement scrubs

Reactions: Getz2perry

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Even if they'd take only Vatanen (which is unlikely enough while RNH is having a career year), 6M is a lot to sink into a 3C. Thats >21M in centers alone as well as putting us over the cap. (Per Cap Friendly we only have 130.541 cap space available). That's even before we get to next year when Fowler and Manson's raises kick in and we still need to re-sign Montour, Kase and Cogs (lesser re-signs : Kosilla, Roy, Grant, Shaw, Wagner). Yes, we have some leaving, but we will need to replace the bodies and personally I'd rather they didn't do it entirely with bargain basement scrubs
I agree with all this, with that said I really hope we don't re-sign Shaw.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
We have 34 million invested into 6 signed forwards for next year with 60M total committed. It's gonna be a cheap guys only bottom-6. Even if Vats is moved, raises for Montour and Kase (perhaps) will eat that saving.

It's pretty scary to think we probably need 70 goals from Perry, Silf and Eaves to have a competitive offense. Unless we get significant increases from Kase&Ritchie, that is.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I think montour has a very high ceiling because he is very athletic, great skater, great shot, and is aggressive on the puck and we are seeing good vision. his biggest issues defensively are correctible such as getting caught out of space when he rushes and positioning at times. he gets away with mistakes sometimes because he is so fast getting back. imo he does really well with an elite defensive defensemen like Lindholm because it allows montour to be very aggressive on the rush where he is best. see how dominant those 2 were last year in the playoffs. I think his upside is low to mid tier 1d. similar or maybe even a little higher than fowler because of his offensive strengths.

call me crazy but that's what I see.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think montour has a very high ceiling because he is very athletic, great skater, great shot, and is aggressive on the puck and we are seeing good vision. his biggest issues defensively are correctible such as getting caught out of space when he rushes and positioning at times. he gets away with mistakes sometimes because he is so fast getting back. imo he does really well with an elite defensive defensemen like Lindholm because it allows montour to be very aggressive on the rush where he is best. see how dominant those 2 were last year in the playoffs. I think his upside is low to mid tier 1d. similar or maybe even a little higher than fowler because of his offensive strengths.

call me crazy but that's what I see.

I don't think its farfetched... I could see Montour flirting with 20 goals/50 point seasons in his career... hes just so dynamic in the offensive zone.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't think its farfetched... I could see Montour flirting with 20 goals/50 point seasons in his career... hes just so dynamic in the offensive zone.

Agreed. He reminds me quite a bit of Letang both stylistically and the fact that he often relies on his physical gifts to bail him out when he makes a poor decision defensively. Don't get me wrong... I'm a bit Montour fan. Just I'll like him even better once his shifts aren't quite so much of an adventure :naughty:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agreed. He reminds me quite a bit of Letang both stylistically and the fact that he often relies on his physical gifts to bail him out when he makes a poor decision defensively. Don't get me wrong... I'm a bit Montour fan. Just I'll like him even better once his shifts aren't quite so much of an adventure :naughty:
I wasn't a big believer in him coming up to be completely honest.... was much higher on Larsson but Montour has really impressed me at the NHL level so far.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Montour's ability to comfortably fit in and contribute at every level of his development, including so far in the NHL, leads me to feel as though he could easily become a regular 50 point D. He makes it look too easy at times. Especially for a guy who got such a late start at taking the game seriously. It's very difficult to not see an extremely bright future for him.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Montour's ability to comfortably fit in and contribute at every level of his development, including so far in the NHL, leads me to feel as though he could easily become a regular 50 point D. He makes it look too easy at times. Especially for a guy who got such a late start at taking the game seriously. It's very difficult to not see an extremely bright future for him.
I wonder where he would be points wise if we had a real nhl team in front of him

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Should be noted that our cap space also includes all the extra players we have because of injuries. I think we have something like a 27 man roster. If we looked at the preseason roster when healthy we had close to 3 mill in cap space if I recall. I have to imagine that BM was at least considering adding a bigger salary considering the interest in PM. The emergence of Montour though could end that. That being said BM has a good track record for RFA deals.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Buffalo is a team to watch. They're largely constructed by their former GM, Tim Murray, and their new GM, Jason Botterill, is reportedly evaluating what players of do and don't make up the core. Changes must be made though because their rebuild has all but failed. O'Reilly and Okposo are signed longterm, with Eichel's extension kicking in next season. Kane is a UFA at season's end and Reinhart is due for a raise.

Issue #1) The Sabres are the only team without a goal from a defender. Both their top end blueline talent and blueline depth are lacking.

Issue #2) The curious case of Reinhart. He's played center and right wing yet hasn't solidified himself in either spot. With Eichel and O'Reilly as the top-2 centers, Kane having a career year and perhaps resigning (although unlikely), and just about all of Buffalo's best prospects being forwards (Nylander, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Pu), I won't be surprised if Botterill trades Reinhart.

Thoughts on this trade?

Vatanen and Silfverberg ($8.625 mm) for Reinhart and Bogosian ($6.037 mm)

Vatanen slides into the 2RD spot behind Ristolainen (Finnish connection) and brings more offense than Bogosian. Silfverberg replaces Reinhart as a top-6 RW. Bogosian replaces Bieksa as Murray/Carlyle's truculent 3RD for next season and the season after.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Thoughts on this trade?

Vatanen and Silfverberg ($8.625 mm) for Reinhart and Bogosian ($6.037 mm)

Vatanen slides into the 2RD spot behind Ristolainen (Finnish connection) and brings more offense than Bogosian. Silfverberg replaces Reinhart as a top-6 RW. Bogosian replaces Bieksa as Murray/Carlyle's truculent 3RD for next season and the season after.

Would prefer to work something out without involving Silfverberg and Bogosian.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
What do people think about trading Nylander & Gauthier to the Ducks who need goal scoring for Josh Manson & Nick Ritchie..

Josh Manson I am real fan of the way he plays the game he is a gritty defender who is a plus 10 on the year. He is signed to a great contact 4 x4 I believe.

Ritchie- Has size & speed but has struggled to make an impact in the NHL yet. Power forwards normally take longer to develop.

Nylander has the most upside of any player in this deal and may put up a lot of points for years to come... his ceiling is high..

Gauthier- Adds size to replace Ritchie but his upside is very limited..​

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I do think Sami moves at some point this year while his value is high. I'm a no on moving Silf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad