Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why should Strome be the one sent down? I mean, you could be right, but he was tied for 4th in scoring, having more points than Dvorak or Perlini, had the highest FO% with anyone over 40 draws, again beating Dvorak while playing less TOI. Also, you have Duclair as our second RW. Why? I really like Duke, but come on, he has been outplayed by almost every RW we had during the preseason. None of us have any idea who will be sent down, but I keep Strome and send Rinaldo down.

I don't think Duclair is on the opening night roster. One of or both Duclair/Strome won't make it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think Duclair is on the opening night roster. One of or both Duclair/Strome won't make it.

Unless Chayka strikes a deal that sends him anywhere I think Duclair is. I don't get the feeling that they're prepared to take risks there.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think Strome has earned a crack at the opening night roster with scoring linemates. I'd rather see him play on the 1st line in the AHL than the 4th line in the NHL. We should be rolling 3 scoring lines (basically with a clear "top" line but no clear or obvious distinction between "2nd" and "3rd" line; each getting more or less ice time per game depending on merit) so as long as he's not centering the 4th line it won't really matter.

Another thing I'd like to see is consistent line combinations instead of throwing darts at balloons after every period.

Yes there are plenty of scorers to put with Strome (when have we ever been able to say that?) yet we haven't seen him between two offensive forwards. I don't get it unless Tocc just was testing him. Really would love to see him between something like Perlini and Fischer on Thurday and give them some time to gel.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes there are plenty of scorers to put with Strome (when have we ever been able to say that?) yet we haven't seen him between two offensive forwards. I don't get it unless Tocc just was testing him. Really would love to see him between something like Perlini and Fischer on Thurday and give them some time to gel.
Oh hell yah. Perlini-Strome-Fisher

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The only thing I'd change w/RTs is that I'd move the Crouse/Strome/Fischer line to the 3rd line and move Nook/Richardson/Rieder to the 4th line. Not that Rieder deserves it, but Duclair needs a fair shot on that line for at least a couple weeks before Rieder replaces him.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Grimes keepin it grimey. Couldn't have said it better. This +100

I'm good with Rinaldo being what he is. That said, he can't be what he is until his suspension is served. I predict he stays, for at least 5 games. Then could be sent down and called up at will.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
I'd cut Kempe and Rinaldo both and drop Cousins down to that 13th F spot. Slide Richardson down one and insert Strome into that spot behind Dvorka.

Those arent bad ideas my friend. I just believe management will go with Strome going down as the decision to play first line minutes and run the powerplay down in Tucson instead of being a 3rd line center up here.

Kempe and Rinaldo are ideal scratches. A couple of guys being rewarded for working their asses off in training camp but will be in press box most nights without worrying about their development. However, it wouldnt affect me if either guy was sent down. They are just spares.

Why should Strome be the one sent down? I mean, you could be right, but he was tied for 4th in scoring, having more points than Dvorak or Perlini, had the highest FO% with anyone over 40 draws, again beating Dvorak while playing less TOI. Also, you have Duclair as our second RW. Why? I really like Duke, but come on, he has been outplayed by almost every RW we had during the preseason. None of us have any idea who will be sent down, but I keep Strome and send Rinaldo down.

Ive talked about why I think Strome may go down above. As for Duclair, you are not wrong. If Strome ends up making the team, I could see Duclair being scratched with Fischer moving up to the second line.

We shall see tomorrow.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I like:

Domi-Stepan-Keller <--duh
Perlini-Dvorak-Duke <--speed kills
Nook-Richardson-Rider <--shut down line
Crouse-Strome-Fischer<--size and skill

^ that's how I'd do it

I like that line-up. Then see Strome work his way up during the season.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm good with Rinaldo being what he is. That said, he can't be what he is until his suspension is served. I predict he stays, for at least 5 games. Then could be sent down and called up at will.

Rinaldo is a major liability, not just because he takes stupid penalties that can cost the team a game, but because he makes dirty players that can get a much better player hurt in retaliation.

When he charges a player on another team, they're not going to come back at Rinaldo. They're going to take a cheap shot on Keller or Domi or OEL.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Rinaldo is a major liability, not just because he takes stupid penalties that can cost the team a game, but because he makes dirty players that can get a much better player hurt in retaliation.

When he charges a player on another team, they're not going to come back at Rinaldo. They're going to take a cheap shot on Keller or Domi or OEL.
Yup, I want rinaldo far away. Kempe just makes way more sense to me.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I like:

Domi-Stepan-Keller <--duh
Perlini-Dvorak-Duke <--speed kills
Nook-Richardson-Rider <--shut down line
Crouse-Strome-Fischer<--size and skill

^ that's how I'd do it

I know that I will be in the minority here..... But I would really like to see Duclair swapped with Keller. I know it sounds insane ... But I have hopes that Domi and Duclair given some time would re establish their chemistry.

If it doesnt happen , then trade Duke. But lets see give him a chance and see what will happen.
Keller will make everyone around him better. So its not a huge deal moving him down. I would love to see Dvorak be the scorer he was in junior , and I think playing with Keller will boost Him and Perlini.

Still not convinced Strome becomes a star being on the 4th line. I would rather see him Dominate in the Ahl , rather than stay here and become a career third line checker.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome needs to stay and be in the opening night lineup. It would be a wildly inappropriate message to send otherwise. We have a very shiny new toy in Keller, but had he not put up the preseason he had, we would all be talking about how Strome looks ready for that 3C spot. He doesnt have to stay, but he should start.

Sending Duke down would be a hell of a message, but I'd rather see if he can come out guns ablazing. Unless there is are waiver issues I would findit hard to send him down now.

I take it Kempe needs to clear waivers. I wouldnt be terribly concerned about losing him to another team, and wouldnt really care if we did. He came in and created competition, if thats all he does for this organization so be it. He may be a RW Martinook at tops, this isnt going to be missing out on TyJo 2.0.

Rinaldo is a dirty player. But man do I not want any if the kids pulling a Domi, nor do I want OEL feeling like he needs to step up all the time. Doan and Hanzal are gone, we need someone besides Crouse and Cousins to keep guys honest. I dont mind him as the extra.

Good post. I wish someone could tell me if Duke is waiver eligible or not. He did not impress me during training camp, but he was not alone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know that I will be in the minority here..... But I would really like to see Duclair swapped with Keller. I know it sounds insane ... But I have hopes that Domi and Duclair given some time would re establish their chemistry.

If it doesnt happen , then trade Duke. But lets see give him a chance and see what will happen.
Keller will make everyone around him better. So its not a huge deal moving him down. I would love to see Dvorak be the scorer he was in junior , and I think playing with Keller will boost Him and Perlini.

Still not convinced Strome becomes a star being on the 4th line. I would rather see him Dominate in the Ahl , rather than stay here and become a career third line checker.

Like I and a few others said last year, Duke has to learn to play without Domi to be a useful player for the Yotes, and I was flamed for saying that. I thought Duke would come to training camp guns a blazing but he did the exact opposite. I had him penciled in for a rebound season, now I'm not sure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

If Strome has to be on the 4th line and be sheltered a bit to start the season I'm okay with that. That's how they brought Dvorak along last season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

If Duclair can't make it work with Perlini and Dvorak than he's got real problems that extend further than just loving to play on a line with Max Domi.

I don't care whether you call it a 4th line or what, if Strome has Fischer and Crouse on his wings, he's got a chance to be an impact player at full-strength, and then especially on the 2nd PP unit.

Reactions: Jakey53

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If Duclair can't make it work with Perlini and Dvorak than he's got real problems that extend further than just loving to play on a line with Max Domi.

I don't care whether you call it a 4th line or what, if Strome has Fischer and Crouse on his wings, he's got a chance to be an impact player at full-strength, and then especially on the 2nd PP unit.

Agreed fully on Duclair. A wing who can be successful with exactly one linemate is not really an NHL player.

I think either Crouse or Fischer could be good for Strome, but I think he needs a vet and a skill player on his line. I'd go with Perlini and Fischer or Crouse and Rieder, myself.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Never met a sample size too small, eh?
That's why samples are given out for free. :)

Since the new boards went up I've been reading these posts again and am reminded of the old lady holding a McDonalds hamburger screaming "Where's the beef?" Upon more serious reflection, the word that comes to mind is "disingenuous."

The assertion that Clendenning is a poor player is not supported by his AHL or NHL metrics. To cite a particular bad play or two, in hockey, as justification of an analysis of a player's ability is just ludicrous. All players will be undressed on the ice on occasion.

Keller "finally had a few good games" implies that he previously had games this preseason where he didn't play well. This contradicts the public information available which notes that Keller had a fine camp and played well in all phases of the game, without any letdown games.

Reactions: BigDoaner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad