Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Whats the deal with Yamamoto? Appears he hasn't played the last few games.

At first it was thought that he was being sat by Spokane to rest him for the playoffs, but then Stauffer said a day or two ago that Yamamoto had a minor lower body injury, but should be ready for the playoffs.

Whatever it is, I've heard nothing to indicate he won't be ready for that series vs. Portland.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jesus, no, obviously not. That isn't what I said. The guy posted that he had a big jump in scoring in his draft+1 year. But that is expected, and does not mean nearly as much as people think it does. Would you rather a big jump than not? Well, duh, of course. But it doesn't really mean much.

This is actually a bad thing

So yes, it is what you said. Not the same as "doesn't matter much".

I'm tempering my excitement as well until what he does at the pro level because most of our prospects have fizzled out in the AHL but it's never a bad thing when a prospects' scoring takes a huge jump in their draft+1 year.

Anyway, looking forward to the playoffs to see how Yamamoto, Benson and Hebig (who nobody talks about) does.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
They were saying this in the Ducks GDT on their board so I can't confirm if they're right or not, but supposedly a Ducks victory tonight would mathematically eliminate the Oilers from playoff contention.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They were saying this in the Ducks GDT on their board so I can't confirm if they're right or not, but supposedly a Ducks victory tonight would mathematically eliminate the Oilers from playoff contention.
I don't think that's technically true because we could still tie LA and have more wins if they lose out, but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that it pretty much eliminates Calgary.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't think that's technically true because we could still tie LA and have more wins if they lose out, but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that it pretty much eliminates Calgary.
Edmonton can't catch Los Angeles in ROWs. Anaheim winning tonight will eliminate the Oilers.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
At first it was thought that he was being sat by Spokane to rest him for the playoffs, but then Stauffer said a day or two ago that Yamamoto had a minor lower body injury, but should be ready for the playoffs.

Whatever it is, I've heard nothing to indicate he won't be ready for that series vs. Portland.

Cool, thanks for the update. Really hoping he has a huge playoffs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So what do people think of Benson's season this year?

Just looking at his stats:

37 points in 25 games before the New Year. Things were looking incredible.

Since than 32 points in 33 games.

Those are some pretty disappointing 2nd half splits.

To go from putting up 1.5PPG to just under a PPG the second half the season.

Ended up with a worse PPG than he had last season. That's not encouraging to see out of a guy in his draft+3 season.

But that is just stat watching so maybe someone who has seen him play in the later half the year can provide some insight.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Ended up with a worse PPG than he had last season. That's not encouraging to see out of a guy in his draft+3 season.

But that is just stat watching so maybe someone who has seen him play in the later half the year can provide some insight.
He played on a low scoring team that was defensively sound and was second on his team in scoring.

His two way game is solid and his game seems to be better suited for the pro leagues than junior.

He isn't one of those guys that is just pure skill that destroys low leagues, he is a smart player who works hard and is full of leadership.

He will be a middle 6 forward who scores 40-55 points a year.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I can't remember what half of the year it was in when the Giants were in Edmonton but I went to that game and Benson was easily the best player on the ice. Absolutely dominant and the play just seemed to follow him around.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Giants haven't exactly been high offence teams since Benson has been there. Not much help on the ice for him when he's been healthy. That being said he has a very pro style game and I think he will be one of those players who's underwhelming in juniors but really takes to the big league and playing with pros.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Team went 12-17 to finish off the season, with 74 GF (2.55 avg. with 3 shutouts and Benson didn't play in the last game) so you can either say that Benson's output affected the team or the team's output affected Benson. He did have several games where he did have a good number of shots but didn't find the net. Remember, this hasn't been a perennial playoff team in Benson's time. This is the first time they've made the playoffs since the 2013-2014 season.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Didn't see this yet, but there was a note in 31 thoughts about one of our more unheralded and undertalked about prospects, Vincent Desharnais.

17. Edmonton will have an interesting decision to make on Providence defenceman Vincent Desharnais. The seventh-rounder from 2016 is competing in the NCAAs this weekend on the Friars’ top pair with Jacob Bryson, a Buffalo pick. They went head-to-head against some very good players last week — Adam Gaudette/Dylan Sikura (a 3-2 win over Northeastern) and Jordan Greenway/Brady Tkachuk (a 2-0 loss to Boston University — and played pretty well. Desharnais is a big man at 6-foot-6 and has one more year of college eligibility. If the Oilers don’t sign him, he can be a free agent next summer. Curious to see what they choose to do.

Other than stat-watching, I don't know much about his game, other than he looks to be a monster and he appears to be a defensive dman.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Didn't see this yet, but there was a note in 31 thoughts about one of our more unheralded and undertalked about prospects, Vincent Desharnais.

17. Edmonton will have an interesting decision to make on Providence defenceman Vincent Desharnais. The seventh-rounder from 2016 is competing in the NCAAs this weekend on the Friars’ top pair with Jacob Bryson, a Buffalo pick. They went head-to-head against some very good players last week — Adam Gaudette/Dylan Sikura (a 3-2 win over Northeastern) and Jordan Greenway/Brady Tkachuk (a 2-0 loss to Boston University — and played pretty well. Desharnais is a big man at 6-foot-6 and has one more year of college eligibility. If the Oilers don’t sign him, he can be a free agent next summer. Curious to see what they choose to do.

Other than stat-watching, I don't know much about his game, other than he looks to be a monster and he appears to be a defensive dman.

Seems like an odd guy for Friedman to key in on.

I'm not sure I'd really lose sleep over him going unsigned.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Saw this yesterday and it surprised me. I don't see any way they'd be looking at signing him this summer with the depth they've got in Bakersfield. I think this is more a case of Friedman throwing shit at the wall because he has to fill those weekly articles.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The Giants aren’t a very good team and there’s not much there for help.

Davis Koch is a good example. His numbers went into the tank after he got dealt.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
4 games involving 5 prospects tonight:

OHL

Oshawa at Niagara (Kirill Maksimov) - Game 1 @ 5 PM
Listen at 610 CKTB St. Catherines or watch on OHL Live

Guelph (Dmitri Samorukov) at Kitchener - Game 1 @ 5:30 PM
Listen at 1460 CJOY Guelph or watch on OHL Live

WHL

Regina (Cameron Hebig) at Swift Current (Stuart Skinner) - Game 1 @ 7 PM
Listen at 620 CKRM Regina or 94.1 CIMG Swift Current or watch on WHL Live
Series preview: #WHLPlayoffs Preview: Regina Pats (3) vs. Swift Current Broncos (2) – WHL Network

Vancouver (Tyler Benson) at Victoria - Game 1 @ 8 PM
Listen at 1040 CKST Vancouver or watch on WHL Live
Series preview: #WHLPlayoffs Preview: Vancouver Giants (3) vs. Victoria Royals (2) – WHL Network

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Saw this yesterday and it surprised me. I don't see any way they'd be looking at signing him this summer with the depth they've got in Bakersfield. I think this is more a case of Friedman throwing **** at the wall because he has to fill those weekly articles.

I have seen a single minute of Desharnais, but they have to make room for him if he has established himself as a decent shutdown defenceman in the NCAA. He's a right shot too and we all know how desperate the organization is for RHD.

Very cool if he is actually a legitimate prospect.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have seen a single minute of Desharnais, but they have to make room for him if he has established himself as a decent shutdown defenceman in the NCAA. He's a right shot too and we all know how desperate the organization is for RHD.

Very cool if he is actually a legitimate prospect.

Hopefully if we sign him he progresses more than Betker has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad