Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Benson sets up the tying goal with under 2 minutes left and then scores the OT winner. Up to 9 goals 21 points in 14 games. Encouraging to see his goal scoring is up this year along with his points per game, despite him typically being more of a playmaker.

Solid night for Skinner as well. Shootout win making 44 saves on 47 shots.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Hadn't checked on the Wichita Thunder for a while. The team is one of the powerhouses of the ECHL and is tied for the best record of 14-2-2. Shane Starett has virtually split the goaltending duties 50-50 and has a record of 7-1-2 with a GAA of 2.27 and a sv% of .930. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up to the Condors next season.

Name Team GP Min GA SO GAA W L OTL SOL SA SAV%
Shane Starrett WIC 10 607 23 0 2.27 7 1 2 0 328 0.930

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Hadn't checked on the Wichita Thunder for a while. The team is one of the powerhouses of the ECHL and is tied for the best record of 14-2-2. Shane Starett has virtually split the goaltending duties 50-50 and has a record of 7-1-2 with a GAA of 2.27 and a sv% of .930. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up to the Condors next season.

Name Team GP Min GA SO GAA W L OTL SOL SA SAV%
Shane Starrett WIC 10 607 23 0 2.27 7 1 2 0 328 0.930
It'll be a bit of a logjam in the crease for the Oil prospects next year with Ellis and Starett already at the pro level plus Wells and potentially Skinner turning pro as well. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
It'll be a bit of a logjam in the crease for the Oil prospects next year with Ellis and Starett already at the pro level plus Wells and potentially Skinner turning pro as well. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

Skinner just turned 19 on November 1st, so he could go back to Lethbridge the next 2 seasons. But this is his 4th full season with the team, so it's hard to say. Wells could also go back to Peterborough as an overager. Plus the other Wichita goalie, Joel Rumple, is 7-1-0 with a 2.38 GAA and a 0.931 sv%, so it could be tough to move him out of that spot. I think that the organization would like to have some veteran goalie experience to help whoever's with them next season.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Skinner just turned 19 on November 1st, so he could go back to Lethbridge the next 2 seasons. But this is his 4th full season with the team, so it's hard to say. Wells could also go back to Peterborough as an overager. Plus the other Wichita goalie, Joel Rumple, is 7-1-0 with a 2.38 GAA and a 0.931 sv%, so it could be tough to move him out of that spot. I think that the organization would like to have some veteran goalie experience to help whoever's with them next season.
Since Wells is already signed I'm certain he'll be in the pros in some form, since it'd still burn a year of his ELC if he's in Jr. Skinner will also be an overage next year but since this is only his first year post draft there's a good chance he'll be back in the WHL. My guess is that Ellis/Starett is the tandem in Bakersfield, Wells starts the year as the #1 in Wichita with a veteran to split/back him up, and Skinner is back in Lethbridge. But they could also say 4 years of Junior is enough for Skinner and move him to Wichita or another ECHL team potentially as well.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

That was a nice goal by Benson, one thing that stands out about him from the highlights I've seen of him this year is that he has a very fast release on his shot, very deceptive.

It's not a big surprise given it's his 19 yr old season, but right he's looking dominant at the WHL level, the best he's ever looked in his 4 years there.

LOL, when his teammates swarmed him after his OT winner I was like "DON'T HURT HIM! DON'T HURT HIM!"

Reactions: Soli

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That was a nice goal by Benson, one thing that stands out about him from the highlights I've seen of him this year is that he has a very fast release on his shot, very deceptive.

It's not a big surprise given it's his 19 yr old season, but right he's looking dominant at the WHL level, the best he's ever looked in his 4 years there.

LOL, when his teammates swarmed him after his OT winner I was like "DON'T HURT HIM! DON'T HURT HIM!"
I think a top 9 of
Benson - McDavid - Pulju
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Cagguila - Nuge - Strome

could be killer next year.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t disagree, but then we get to endure all the complaining that we didn’t bring veterans in
Sign a few 3rd line vets that can swap with those guys as needed and they can play on the 4th line when not. Don't have a ton of money next year either but a 4th line of vets with something to prove could be very good for us.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Stuart Skinner (W 10-10-1) made 44 saves, stopped 6 of 7 shootout attempts and was named first star, as the Hurricanes blew the Winterhawks around 4-3 in a shootout.
WHL Network
11-28-2017: Hurricanes (4) vs. Winterhawks (3) SO – Lethbridge Hurricanes

Tyler Benson helped setup the game tying goal then scored the OT winner, had 4 shots, lost both faceoffs, took a tripping call and was named first star, as the Giants spewed out the Thunderbirds like a bottle of cheap wine 4-3 in OT.
WHL Network
Highlights: Thunderbirds (3) at Giants (4) — OT – WHL Network

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think a top 9 of
Benson - McDavid - Pulju
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Cagguila - Nuge - Strome

could be killer next year.
I hope you're not counting on all of those guys. Very low chance that all of those kids pan out like that that soon - maybe at all.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Another game where Spokane scores a bunch of goals, and Yamamoto is quiet as a church mouse. Just a single secondary assist on the PP.

I wonder if anyone from the Oilers has called down there to check on him, ask his coaches what the heck is up with him. Considering his performance last year and that he was old for his draft year, he should be dominant down there right now it's just not happening.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
the shot totals are certainly encouraging but the point totals are concerning
maybe he thought going back to the 'Dub would be easy from the NHL and isn't working hard enough

I just keep wondering if he's been in a role that he's trying to adapt to. Taking faceoffs all of a sudden is weird. I don't think he took one with the Oilers.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
5 games tonight.

QMJHL

Saint John (Ostap Safin) at Gatineau @ 5:30 PM
Listen at 96.1 CINB Saint John or watch on QMJHL Live

OHL

Erie at Guelph (Dmitri Samorukov) @ 5:30 PM
Listen at 1460 CJOY Guelph or watch on OHL Live

WHL

Brandon at Lethbridge (Stuart Skinner) @ 7 PM
Listen at 106.7 CJRX Lethbridge or watch on WHL Live

Vancouver (Tyler Benson) at Prince George @ 8 PM
Listen at 1040 CKST Vancouver or watch on WHL Live

Kelowna at Spokane (Kailer Yamamoto) @ 8 PM
Listen at 94.1 KJRB Spokane or watch on WHL Live

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Maksimov's been on a decent run recently, currently on an 8 game point streak with 7 goals and 5 assists.

Also, in every game so far this season he's had at least 1 shot on goal, and in 21 of those 23 games he's at 2 shots or more.

I haven't seen him play since the young stars tournament, but his stats paint the picture of a kid who provides consistent (but not overwhelming) offense and shows up to play most nights, leading a fairly average team with below average offensive firepower in goals and points. For a guy picked 146th overall, I like how he's tracking.

Reactions: oilers'72

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maksimov's been on a decent run recently, currently on an 8 game point streak with 7 goals and 5 assists.

Also, in every game so far this season he's had at least 1 shot on goal, and in 21 of those 23 games he's at 2 shots or more.

I haven't seen him play since the young stars tournament, but his stats paint the picture of a kid who provides consistent (but not overwhelming) offense and shows up to play most nights, leading a fairly average team with below average offensive firepower in goals and points. For a guy picked 146th overall, I like how he's tracking.
Yup, he seems to be scoring a goal just about every night of late, and a lot of them have been some nice one-timers and wrist shots from the left circle. Kid certainly has the type of shot we're missing on the PP, and in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad