2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Am I mis-reading that, or does BC not have 4 titles and 3 other championship game losses?

I get parity, but the University of Minnesota should be a legit contender for more than 2 years out of 12.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Am I mis-reading that, or does BC not have 4 titles and 3 other championship game losses?

I get parity, but the University of Minnesota should be a legit contender for more than 2 years out of 12.

I agree and I am not even a Gopher fan. I saw that they have missed the tournament 5 out of the last 10 years. That is unacceptable. Lucia should have been gone about 5 years ago.

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, BC went on kind of a crazy run there. 5 out of 7 years in the National Championship Game. They've essentially been the gold standard in college hockey for the last 20 years.

I agree with you though, the Gophers should be more nationally relevant than we've been over the last decade or so. Really kinda started with the years where Don was ill, and hasn't quite recovered to the heights it was at prior.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I really appreciated Don's press conference yesterday, particularly where he said that Gopher fans need to move on from hating on the B1G, it's for the good of the program. He even made a point to say that the WCHA he grew up with was Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. Things change.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Maybe I just never paid attention to it or forgot, but didn't recall Lucia was a native of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

So who are they going to use/get to replace him? What happened to whatshisname - defenseman assistant coach who was on the 2002 championship team? Potulny?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe I just never paid attention to it or forgot, but didn't recall Lucia was a native of Grand Rapids, Minnesota.

So who are they going to use/get to replace him? What happened to whatshisname - defenseman assistant coach who was on the 2002 championship team? Potulny?
He just finished his first year as a head coach at NMU.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I really appreciated Don's press conference yesterday, particularly where he said that Gopher fans need to move on from hating on the B1G, it's for the good of the program. He even made a point to say that the WCHA he grew up with was Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc. Things change.
So, the "minds" pushing the Big 10 know better than us what we like? Crap. It's a money grab that they benefit from, not the fans, who have to deal with irregular start times, soaring prices, and unfamiliar and distant competitors, all the while depriving fans of the wonderful rivalry games against the Not Sioux, Bulldogs, and Huskies/Mankato just a drive away.

Piss on them. I am not a life long Gophers fan, but know many of them. Quite a few have given up their, or cut down on the number of tickets that they held for decades, and they aren't coming back. What's more, their kids are not coming to games anymore, either, depriving MN of the next generation of fans.

Reactions: mulefarm

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So, the "minds" pushing the Big 10 know better than us what we like? Crap. It's a money grab that they benefit from, not the fans, who have to deal with irregular start times, soaring prices, and unfamiliar and distant competitors, all the while depriving fans of the wonderful rivalry games against the Not Sioux, Bulldogs, and Huskies/Mankato just a drive away.

Piss on them. I am not a life long Gophers fan, but know many of them. Quite a few have given up their, or cut down on the number of tickets that they held for decades, and they aren't coming back. What's more, their kids are not coming to games anymore, either, depriving MN of the next generation of fans.
The Gophers had no choice in the matter. They didn't want the B1G, it was forced upon them. It's not like they sat in a room and actively tried to take away the WCHA.

We've still continued to play UMD, SCSU, and North Dakota. And people seem to always come back with "Well yeah, but no conference points are on the line!" but with the way the PWR are set up, non conference games are arguably more important than conference games. The ticket prices are high, but that was happening well before we went to the B1G.

The B1G is turning into a damn fine hockey conference. Penn State hit the ground running like nobody expected. Notre Dame was a very strong addition. And we've got 4 teams in the tournament this year while the vaunted NCHC has 3.

I get it, leaving the WCHA sucked. I hated it, how could you not? It was easily the best and most unique conference in the country. But I got over it. I looked at the positives, and looked forward to developing new rivalries with classic B1G opponents, all while knowing that we would continue to play our old WCHA foes year in and year out.

Quite honestly, the ones who constantly rag on the B1G, I wish they would just leave, because they're hurting the program. Are you a WCHA fan or are you a Gopher fan?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Driving to Lake Placid tomorrow into Friday for the D3 Frozen Four. Should be a treat.

D1 predictions:
St Cloud > Air Force
Mn Duluth > Mn St
Ohio State > Princeton
Denver > Penn St
Cornell > BU
Northeastern > Michigan
Notre Dame > Michigan Tech
Clarkson > Providence

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Gophers would be in the field if they had managed to tie either of the first two games with Penn State, or had taken the playoff series to three games. How you can lose 4 straight like that is beyond me.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Driving to Lake Placid tomorrow into Friday for the D3 Frozen Four. Should be a treat.

D1 predictions:
St Cloud > Air Force
Mn Duluth > Mn St
Ohio State > Princeton
Denver > Penn St
Cornell > BU
Northeastern > Michigan
Notre Dame > Michigan Tech
Clarkson > Providence
St C >AF...MN Dul>Mn st
StC> Mn Dul

Den>Pst...OHst>Prin
Den>Ohst

BU>Cor...NE>Mich
NE>BU

ND>Mtk...Prov>Clark
Prov>ND

StC>Den...NE>Prov
STC > NE

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Saint Cloud over Air Force
UMD over Mankato

Saint Cloud over UMD

Northeastern over Michigan
BU over Cornell

Northeastern over BU

Ohio State over Princeton
Denver over Penn State

Denver over Princeton

Clarkson over Providence
Notre Dame over Tech

Notre Dame over Clarkson

Frozen Four:

Notre Dame over Denver
Saint Cloud over Northeastern

Notre Dame over Saint Cloud

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Cloud down 2-0? Might be one of those days. Just got out of the UWSP vs Salve Regina D3 Frozen Four opener. Outshot them 57-21 and lost 3-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad