2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Cloud just got jobbed. He's trying to stop, being pushed into the goalie no way is that goalie interference..

Nice dive by the UND keeper, though

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
This has to seal the deal for Lucia right? Will they wait a year and let his contract expire rather than let him go?

Program has been stale for years and is seemingly the 3rd or 4th best program in the state/region (including UND) now.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
That whole thing was nuts...
Still don't think he goes. He has one more year and then he can retire so to speak. MN is paying 2 buyouts right now...i doubt they want a 3rd.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota missed the tourney? How is that possible, weren’t they sitting in that 8-10 range in the PWR not too long ago?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Can SCSU finally win a National Championship....please?

(I'm actually posting here because I wanted to see what people were saying about MN missing the Tourney)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Are there actually qualifications to make the NCAA hockey tournament? I saw the post above about six things that had to go against MN for them to miss, so what are the qualifications?

Both NCAA basketball and football have committees select the participants.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As someone who loves the Gophers, I was surprised they almost made it in the first place. They haven't been this bad in something like 10 years. Gotta earn it, and they didn't.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Are there actually qualifications to make the NCAA hockey tournament? I saw the post above about six things that had to go against MN for them to miss, so what are the qualifications?

College hockey has the Pairwise Rankings, which is basically a big formula that ranks every team in the country. There is technically a committee for selecting the college hockey tournament as well, but there is never any real selection drama, because they just use the rankings.

So, the Gophers were ranked #13 in the rankings, there are 16 spots in the Tourney. Winning your conference tournament gets you an automatic berth into the Tournament. This year there were 4 teams ranked lower than the Gophers who won their conference tournament. #15 BU, #18 Princeton, #21 Michigan Tech, and #27 Air Force.

So those teams get in, and then the rest of the field is filled in by the top teams in the PairWise. Only 12 spots left to fill, so the Gophers missed out by one spot.

This breaks it down nicely if you want to know a little more in depth how the PairWise actually works: Info - NCAA Tournament Pairwise Primer

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
College hockey has the Pairwise Rankings, which is basically a big formula that ranks every team in the country. There is technically a committee for selecting the college hockey tournament as well, but there is never any real selection drama, because they just use the rankings.

So, the Gophers were ranked #13 in the rankings, there are 16 spots in the Tourney. Winning your conference tournament gets you an automatic berth into the Tournament. This year there were 4 teams ranked lower than the Gophers who won their conference tournament. #15 BU, #18 Princeton, #21 Michigan Tech, and #27 Air Force.

So those teams get in, and then the rest of the field is filled in by the top teams in the PairWise. Only 12 spots left to fill, so the Gophers missed out by one spot.

This breaks it down nicely if you want to know a little more in depth how the PairWise actually works: Info - NCAA Tournament Pairwise Primer
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm a little surprised they just go by straight rankings, and that everyone agreed to go by that in the first place. College football isn't necessarily the top 4 ranked teams by any measure, and college basketball is obviously extremely subjective, with things including injuries and the eye test coming into play. The history section from the link you posted clearly says they wanted no subjectivity in this process, though, so I guess that makes sense.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Hockey has a committee but it goes strictly by the numbers + auto bids for tourney winners. PairWise is essentially the that same formula the the NCAA uses for it's internal rankings. PairWise has UMD as .0001 higher in RPI than UM.

The only things the committee does is set the brackets. The Frozen Four are at the X and 3 Minny teams are in 1 bracket, I don't think that's a coincidence at all.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm a little surprised they just go by straight rankings, and that everyone agreed to go by that in the first place. College football isn't necessarily the top 4 ranked teams by any measure, and college basketball is obviously extremely subjective, with things including injuries and the eye test coming into play. The history section from the link you posted clearly says they wanted no subjectivity in this process, though, so I guess that makes sense.
I like it because you know exactly what you need to do to make the tournament. Do enough to get in the top 12, and you're virtually guaranteed a spot in the tournament.

CHN even has a "Pairwise calculator" where you can go and select results for different games and see what would happen to the rankings if you alter certain past/future results. So hypothetically, you could map out every single result for every team of the entire season, and you'd see exactly what the rankings would be.

It sucks for times when you have bad injury problems, but I think there's something to be said for the simplicity of "win game X, game Y, and game Z, and you're in. No "snubs" like you see in CFB and CBB.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Something absolutely needs to happen for the Gophers. I don't think there is any way that they stay with the status quo. I feel that Lucia has been given a wonderful opportunity and has done a lot for the University and all the hockey players he has coached there, but in sports there is always a time when the message is just lost and new blood is needed. Hopefully they find the right person to get the spirit of Gopher hockey back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad