2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Really pretty amazing how much parity has come into college hockey in just the last 15 years.

If that is what you wanna call it. Not sure what it is to be honest I guess. Seems like the B10 threw a massive wrench into the mix and spread out the talent to the surrounding schools.

Lucia has stepped down.

Good, he shouldn't be there anyway. I seriously think he has no idea how to recruit players. He would get these Mr. Hockey's or finalist, but they never seemed to gel into the system OR they just bounced out after a year anyways. Meanwhile the surrounding schools were able to keep their players there for 3-4 years no problem.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for your service, Don. This is actually kind of exciting, they better not just hand the keys to Guentzel, I want a full scale coaching search. See who applies.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
Would Motzko take the job if he was offered? (Rabid Husky, would like to hear your take on it) His salary would increase significantly for sure, and has history with the program.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Money talks but i don't think he would. He's already 56...IIRC the gophers have not hired a coach that old...Maybe ever. He has kids in HS and established here and in terms of hockey for his eldest...Cathedral should be very good next year.
He's an alum here and been here 13 seasons now (his longest stop anywhere as a coach) and he's built a program that is currently better than the U. Yeah he has a connection as an assistant and friend to Lucia but it's not "home" and St. Cloud is.
Would money be enough to uproot that? I dont think so.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Money talks but i don't think he would. He's already 56...IIRC the gophers have not hired a coach that old...Maybe ever. He has kids in HS and established here and in terms of hockey for his eldest...Cathedral should be very good next year.
He's an alum here and been here 13 seasons now (his longest stop anywhere as a coach) and he's built a program that is currently better than the U. Yeah he has a connection as an assistant and friend to Lucia but it's not "home" and St. Cloud is.
Would money be enough to uproot that? I dont think so.
There's money, but there's also an undeniable recruiting advantage.

I'm not saying Motzko would for sure go, I don't know the guy, but I'm sure he'd mull it over. I don't know if Motzko is the answer, but I think you're right with the age factor. He's only 3 years younger than Lucia, so we may look to go a little younger. Someone who would have no problem committing to a decade+ at the helm.

Last edited:

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
They aren’t going to hire a guy with one year head coaching experience unless they are trying to save money because it wouldn’t take a boatload to get him to leave NMU

Disagree. I think they want a young progressive guy. I would guess the alumni will want a M guy. Potulny has some years as assistant and turned the NMU around in one year. Even though it was a different Ad, Potino didn't have much head coaching experience when hired as BB coach.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Disagree. I think they want a young progressive guy. I would guess the alumni will want a M guy. Potulny has some years as assistant and turned the NMU around in one year. Even though it was a different Ad, Potino didn't have much head coaching experience when hired as BB coach.
I’d be shocked if he’s hired but ya never know I guess.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Jason Herter would be another interesting candidate. He's helped Duluth's program immensely and his pedigree is impressive. I think in this day and age you aren't going to have much success staying exclusively Minnesotan. You have to scout western Canada and elsewhere to stay competitive on the ice. I know they've broadened the player base a little, and I hope the program remains focused on good kids from in-state. I think the lesson learned is that too much of the same leads to some stagnation. Congrats to Coach Lucia for his successes.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I find it interesting that Lucia basically called out the alumni who still didn't support him even after 14 banners in 18 years.
Tells me some won't support someone who didn't play at the U...yet another reason I don't entertain it if I'm Motzko. Why take on that headache?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I find it interesting that Lucia basically called out the alumni who still didn't support him even after 14 banners in 18 years.
Tells me some won't support someone who didn't play at the U...yet another reason I don't entertain it if I'm Motzko. Why take on that headache?

Banners are nice I guess, but in the last 12 or so years, there were only 2 real shots a title in which both failed; both happened in a 3 year period (basically one good recruiting class) and surrounded on either side by mediocrity. It's just not good enough for what should a contender year in and year out.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Banners are nice I guess, but in the last 12 or so years, there were only 2 real shots a title in which both failed; both happened in a 3 year period (basically one good recruiting class) and surrounded on either side by mediocrity. It's just not good enough for what should a contender year in and year out.
Coming from a Michigan fan:

Other than Denver with 3 wins, 2 National Championships is as much as anybody else has won in the last 18 years.

Welcome to the era of parity.

2000North Dakota (7)Dean BlaisBoston CollegeJerry York4–2Providence, Rhode IslandProvidence Civic Center
2001Boston College (2)Jerry YorkNorth DakotaDean Blais3–2 (OT)Albany, New YorkPepsi Arena
2002Minnesota (4)Don LuciaMaineTim Whitehead4–3 (OT)Saint Paul, MinnesotaXcel Energy Center
2003Minnesota (5)Don LuciaNew HampshireDick Umile5–1Buffalo, New YorkHSBC Arena
2004Denver (6)George GwozdeckyMaineTim Whitehead1–0BostonFleetCenter
2005Denver (7)George GwozdeckyNorth DakotaDave Hakstol4–1Columbus, OhioValue City Arena
2006Wisconsin (6)Mike EavesBoston CollegeJerry York2–1MilwaukeeBradley Center
2007Michigan State (3)Rick ComleyBoston CollegeJerry York3–1St. Louis, MissouriScottrade Center
2008Boston College (3)Jerry YorkNotre DameJeff Jackson4–1Denver, ColoradoPepsi Center
2009Boston University (5)Jack ParkerMiami UniversityEnrico Blasi4–3 (OT)Washington, D.C.Verizon Center
2010Boston College (4)Jerry YorkWisconsinMike Eaves5–0DetroitFord Field
2011Minnesota–DuluthScott SandelinMichiganRed Berenson3–2 (OT)Saint Paul, MinnesotaXcel Energy Center
2012Boston College (5)Jerry YorkFerris StateBob Daniels4–1Tampa, FloridaTampa Bay Times Forum
2013YaleKeith AllainQuinnipiacRand Pecknold4–0PittsburghConsol Energy Center
2014UnionRick BennettMinnesotaDon Lucia7–4PhiladelphiaWells Fargo Center
2015ProvidenceNate LeamanBoston UniversityDavid Quinn4–3BostonTD Garden
2016North Dakota (8)Brad BerryQuinnipiacRand Pecknold5–1Tampa, FloridaAmalie Arena
2017Denver (8)Jim MontgomeryMinnesota–DuluthScott Sandelin3–2Chicago, IllinoisUnited Center
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->