2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Maybe there was no way to stop the eventual decline of the team but rather than help soften the descent Benning doused it in gasoline and lit a match while thinking he was keeping it aloft.

200.gif

Jimbo, Trev and Francesco.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah, but guys. Guys. Guys.

Guys.

He delivered. He said he would turn them around and he did.

For a season.

Guys.

It was his plan all along to get one good season and then drive them into the gutter.

Everything is going according to plan.

Jim Benning is a genius. Guys.

He turned them around for a season. He didn't say for how long. Guys. He turned them around and then turned them back again.

Every now and then I fall apart.

Guys. Jim knows what he is doing. He is a just a master at wordplay.

He turned them around. For one season. As was the style at the time.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Tbh as long as Linden is running the show, I'm not going to feel that 'relieved' feeling even if Jim Benning is fired.

I have no trust in Linden and feel dirty that he's even representing the Canucks. He's so unqualified it's insane... And he's proven nothing that suggests I was wrong from my initial concerns about his appointment.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
But, that started with Gillis at the helm. It wasn't like Benning inherited the two president cup trophy team and then went bad.
How many new GM's inherit playoff contending teams (where the previous GM was fired)? Probably a pretty small list. If Gillis was doing a great job at the end - he'd be still employed. If Nonis was doing a great job at the end - he'd be still employed. There's a reason why that job was vacant (outside of "normal retirements", etc.,).

Enough of the "he inherited nothing". It's been 4 years now. An awful GM (of the Knights) has his team noticeably highers in the standings - an expansion club consisting of the flotsam & jetsom of the other teams.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
How many new GM's inherit playoff contending teams (where the previous GM was fired)? Probably a pretty small list. If Gillis was doing a great job at the end - he'd be still employed. If Nonis was doing a great job at the end - he'd be still employed. There's a reason why that job was vacant (outside of "normal retirements", etc.,).

Enough of the "he inherited nothing". It's been 4 years now. An awful GM (of the Knights) has his team noticeably highers in the standings - an expansion club consisting of the flotsam & jetsom of the other teams.

Never said that as well, just stated he didn't take a two time president cup teams and directly take them to not being one. You are reading way to much into what I said.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Never said that as well, just stated he didn't take a two time president cup teams and directly take them to not being one. You are reading way to much into what I said.
Fair enough. I will add, a GM that I think is worse than Benning (based on his work with the Capitals) has his team outperforming the Canucks currently (despite being an expansion club).

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
That's been my worry for a little while now.

The biological part of us that's willing to sacrifice anything, anyone and go any lengths for self-preservation is extremely difficult to resist. When a man's head is under the guillotine, his madness will only be amplified, and amplified exponentially.

I hope I am wrong.

What's left to sell though? I guess we could get beat on a Tanev trade but like...it barely matters now?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
I'd be shocked if they trade Tanev. The return would have to be silly for it to make any sense. He's locked in for 2 more seasons at great value so there's absolutely no rush. Teams wanting him would be offering futures for the most part, and this regime is still trying to compete. Trading Tanev is admitting that next yr is another season of no playoffs. Which it will be anyways, but they're either unaware of that or unwilling to admit it.

Reactions: pomorick

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I still can't get over "jim turned them around for a season, he never said how long he would turn them around for." incredible.

Are there awards given out for corporate spin?

Ah, but he did turn them around-they went from bad to pretty decent.

And then he succeeded in turning them around again, from pretty decent to truly awful!

Linden was right, it was pretty easy to turn the team around. They did it twice!

:)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Anyone else read this hilariously article from Hirsch? He basically glosses over everything bad, and justifys the Gagne singing cause he’s a “good guy”. An absolute joke, and yet another example of attempted brainwashing of the average fan

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-example-model-rebui
"Realistically, Benning’s and Linden’s thumbprint on this team won’t be known for five to seven years."
:biglaugh:

That's the kind of quality content you expect from Sportsnet.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
God what an idiotic brownnosing of an article by Hirsch

Similarly, Pass it to Bulis has become absolute shit, from the snippets I've read recently. Daniel Wagner has lost the plot.

Wyatt Arndt was/is the only redeeming factor, and I don't think he's really involved anymore since joining the Provies.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
As I've said time and time again, props must be given to the CSE PR team for brainwashing the entire league with regards to Linden and Benning's performance. I'd kill to know how much money they're spending on guys like Hirsch and Walker to spread misinformation and convince the average dumb listener that Benning's just doing a great job and fans should still go to the games. I doubt they go to like Twitter shill reply lengths but they definitely influence the media.

Somehow the average Canucks fan is fine with where the team is and how we're looking for the future. For a city that looked for all the negatives in the 2011 team, somehow they're not looking for all the positives in this 2018 team. And beyond that, fans of other teams still don't know just how dumb Benning is.

We need a hashtag. #BenningTruthers

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Reactions: y2kcanucks

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
"Realistically, Benning’s and Linden’s thumbprint on this team won’t be known for five to seven years."
:biglaugh:

That's the kind of quality content you expect from Sportsnet.

The entire point of age gap was a seamless transition from old playoff team, to younger playoff team, to new core playoff team... what was the point of age gap if fans have to wait another 5 to 7 years? That would be 9 to 11 years total before Benning's thumbprint gets reasonably judged. What if success happened the last few years... would that have been too early to know Benning's thumbprint? No, more time is needed to know only when things are bad. Go to the weddings, and skip the funerals. Going back in time, that would be around 2007... seems like a lifetime ago in hockey years... Dave Nonis was still GM. Realistically, it would only be known around now Nonis' thumbprint on the Canucks?

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
As I've said time and time again, props must be given to the CSE PR team for brainwashing the entire league with regards to Linden and Benning's performance. I'd kill to know how much money they're spending on guys like Hirsch and Walker to spread misinformation and convince the average dumb listener that Benning's just doing a great job and fans should still go to the games. I doubt they go to like Twitter shill reply lengths but they definitely influence the media.

Somehow the average Canucks fan is fine with where the team is and how we're looking for the future. For a city that looked for all the negatives in the 2011 team, somehow they're not looking for all the positives in this 2018 team. And beyond that, fans of other teams still don't know just how dumb Benning is.

We need a hashtag. #BenningTruthers
Benning Davidians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad