2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If he does get the boot, I'm actually going to miss his year end presser interviews. Those were the best. He would sometimes answer in a way that was totally unrelated to the question. Especially when the question was difficult, as was often the case with Paterson asking them.

JPat would ask him about team compete and Benning would start fumbling over which kids he expected to graduate, and being excited about this prospect or that one. Like...what? Oh, and then it would be Linden to the rescue to actually answer what was asked. Good times.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
i want ralph kreuger honestly... screw the rest.

give him the gm job and full control .

hell, if i was aquilini i'd demote linden to vice president and give ralph the president + gm position so he can leave his football club.

I would also politely tell Linden where he can shove it.

For a guy who's hired to reinforce fan-team relationship he's done a miserable job - all he managed to do was alienating fans, pissing people off left and right, and coming off as a colossal arrogant prick who had to constantly stroke his own ego.

Reactions: pomorick

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
u know nothing again,

yggdrasil is the tree of life that connects 9 worlds in norse mythology... u know the one that has odin, thor, loki and the valkyries. FOR VALHALLA!
Interesting read, hopefully you like it for the mythology or Thor movies and not the white supremist reasons that it has been used for since the Nazis and more recently the alt right stormfronters.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
u know nothing again,

yggdrasil is the tree of life that connects 9 worlds in norse mythology... u know the one that has odin, thor, loki and the valkyries. FOR VALHALLA!

So you fight for Valhalla like Gerald? I believe it is all clicking into place. :help:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm feeling a lot better now compared to how I felt starting this season and the little hot streak we started on. Aquilini and Linden haven't been very supportive of Benning ever since...that bodes well. Then Friedman is saying the Canucks are interested in what is out there for GM's. It's really only a matter of time, and Benning is going to have to do something to make Aquilini change his mind at this point IMO.

That's understandable. For the people who may still be fooled that Benning isn't awful, but on the fence because the past two seasons were really awful, if we kept up that early pace for the entire season it would have redeemed Benning for the fence sitters. Benning's been promising a competitive team the whole time, made a bunch of moves over the summer and now here it is plus we got some great future pieces like Boeser and Petersson.

Except with the team reverting back to the norm the situation has reversed from possible redempetion to 3 strikes you're out.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

4 years later...
QXwsepT.png

:laugh:

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Interesting read, hopefully you like it for the mythology or Thor movies and not the white supremist reasons that it has been used for since the Nazis and more recently the alt right stormfronters.

i liked norse mythology when i first heard about it from valkyrie profile in 1999.

Reactions: mathonwy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ya know... in the Eff Messier era, at least on paper we still looked like a real team.

We had players like Mogilny, Bure, Nazzy, Ohlund, Jovo, Bert, Lumme....

Today?

Today is the darkest time line.

This team is absolutely butchered.

It really is kinda amazing how badly they screwed this team up.

Who the hell is Nic Dowd?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I the end I see a team that right now has 3 NHL assets that I wouldn’t deem as replaceable...Tanev, Horvat, Boeser. The first 2 come from the previous regime and the other they benched the first two games.

In 4 off seasons at the helm this GM has added one player that we know you can actually build around. The rest are at best complimentary and at worst disasters. Others MAY come and show that they are core NHL but they haven’t yet.

And yes I realize draft picks take time to mature etc. But that is sort of the point...the age gap methodology has failed spectacularly and it’s come at the expense of the prospect pool and health of the farm. The free agent signings have failed spectacularly. There is literally nothing I can point to that makes me confident that this management team can right the ship.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I think one of the reasons the alt right likes that mythology may be due to the music of Richard Wagner who Hitler liked. Some of Wagners compositions dealt with Norse mythology.. from Das Reingold is Entry of the gods into Valhalla and the famous Ride of the Valkyries. Wagners music was also played in Dacau concentration camp to reportedly make the poor souls work longer.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think one of the reasons the alt right likes that mythology may be due to the music of Richard Wagner who Hitler liked. Some of Wagners compositions dealt with Norse mythology.. from Das Reingold is Entry of the gods into Valhalla and the famous Ride of the Valkyries. Wagners music was also played in Dacau concentration camp to reportedly make the poor souls work longer.
No idea what you guys are talking about.

All I can contribute to this conversation is that Vikings in an amazing show.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How the hell can anyone possibly say that since the 2017 TDL Benning’s performance has changed? Look at his moves:

- Burrows for Dahlen - Excellent move
- Hansen for Goldobin +4th - Mediocre bordering on poor
- Signed MDZ, Nielsen, Gagner, and Vanek - mixed bag of signings ranging from good (Vanek) to poor (Gagner) but ultimately irrelevant to a rebuild.
- Pedan + 4th for Pittsburgh’s cast offs - classic Benning
- Subban for Dowd - more classic Benning

Where are all these “great” moves that Benning has made? I count exactly 1 (Burrows for Dahlen) but so far that is as much an outlier as the Bieksa for a 2nd deal he made back in 2015.

Otherwise still chasing mature prospects on the verge of busting (Goldobin, Pouliot), filling the roster with ineffective UFAs (Gagner, MDZ, Nielsen), and throwing away prospects for sub-replacement level filler (Dowd).

Same ol’ Benning.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
so benning had to play the game a bit ...until we got to see the real benning after the 2017 all star game.
What, again, changed after the 2017 all-star game, exactly? He made two "rebuild-like" moves (trading Burrows and Hansen), and the second of these was only done because his hand was forced by the expansion draft. What else is there?

And then right after that he signed a bunch of veterans in free agency.

What is so different?

Three straight bottom-3 finishes. Worst period in franchise history. Hard to be much worse.
But spending to the cap in the meantime has been good for the GDP.

edit: Dammit, @CanaFan, I had that sitting in the reply field for like 10 minutes while I read through the rest of the thread, and then in the meantime you post the same thing. :laugh:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The worst part of all this is that he’s making me lose interest in hockey overall. Without a team I love to pivot around my knowledge of the league has significantly fallen off.

My fantasy hockey draft was a complete disaster this year ( thanks to Murray and holtby mainly)

Reactions: mathonwy

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Three straight bottom-3 finishes. Worst period in franchise history. Hard to be much worse.
I think the first three seasons of the team were worse - but that's hardly an accomplishment for Benning & the Stooges. Outperforming a true expansion club (compare the roster of that team with the one Benning inherited - no contest). Now we are the ones being outperformed by an expansion club.

I blame Gillis.:sarcasm:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

4 years later...
QXwsepT.png

:laugh:

They did turn the team around for one year. He did not mention how ling the team would be turn around for. This team was going down no matter what the new gm did. Had one prospect, no good young players, a regressing core and two players in their primes Tanev and Edler. No matter who Benning drafted traded or signed realistically it would be a bad team now. He has done a mediocre job of improving this trend. So I do not mind him being replaced, but it seems there is no factoring in the inevitable decline that this team was going to be on 2015 to now. The Sedins were always going to regress. There was no way to stop this downfall.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How the hell can anyone possibly say that since the 2017 TDL Benning’s performance has changed? Look at his moves:

- Burrows for Dahlen - Excellent move
- Hansen for Goldobin +4th - Mediocre bordering on poor
- Signed MDZ, Nielsen, Gagner, and Vanek - mixed bag of signings ranging from good (Vanek) to poor (Gagner) but ultimately irrelevant to a rebuild.
- Pedan + 4th for Pittsburgh’s cast offs - classic Benning
- Subban for Dowd - more classic Benning

Well technically rather than signing one big UFA and/or over priced 4th lines and having nothing left for depth, this past off season he signed a handful of middle six players so the team actually has depth.

...Except having depth doesn't really matter if the players you sign aren't very good.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
They did turn the team around for one year. He did not mention how ling the team would be turn around for. This team was going down no matter what the new gm did. Had one prospect, no good young players, a regressing core and two players in their primes Tanev and Edler. No matter who Benning drafted traded or signed realistically it would be a bad team now. He has done a mediocre job of improving this trend. So I do not mind him being replaced, but it seems there is no factoring in the inevitable decline that this team was going to be on 2015 to now. The Sedins were always going to regress. There was no way to stop this downfall.

Are you just a Canucks fan or do you watch other teams?

If you're just a Canucks fan then I encourage you to take note of how other teams have fared throughout history and see if you can find another team that goes from 2 straight president cup trophies to potentially 3 bottom 3 finishes.

I don't care to debate any details. I just want you to look at the bigger picture and see if that bigger picture jives with your current smaller picture.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Are you just a Canucks fan or do you watch other teams?

If you're just a Canucks fan then I encourage you to take note of how other teams have fared throughout history and see if you can find another team that goes from 2 straight president cup trophies to potentially 3 bottom 3 finishes.

I don't care to debate any details. I just want you to look at the bigger picture and see if that bigger picture jives with your current smaller picture.

But, that started with Gillis at the helm. It wasn't like Benning inherited the two president cup trophy team and then went bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad