2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
You doctored the list to make your bad point.

That's quite an allegation... what makes you think that the list is doctored? Simply because it is comparable to the top 10 prospect pool drafted under Benning's watch?

Assume, for a second, that the list is not doctored... does this make you question your faith? That a potato, directed through code, can generate results comparable to a drafting god?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
That's quite an allegation... what makes you think that the list is doctored? Simply because it is comparable to the top 10 prospect pool drafted under Benning's watch?
Didn't even read it, just wouldn't surprise me if your going to those extents to discredit someone.Why would i waste time on something that proves nothing.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Didn't even read it, just wouldn't surprise me if your going to those extents to discredit someone.Why would i waste time on something that proves nothing.

Ya why bother verifying your accusations. Much better to just go on your feelings.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Assume, for a second, that the list is not doctored... does this make you question your faith? That a potato, directed through code, can generate results comparable to a drafting god?
I'm not religious and your not Christoher Hitchens.So let me get this straight,when the Canucks draft bad it's Benning's fault, when they draft well, it's the scouting staff Gillis hired.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I'm not religious and your not Christoher Hitchens.So let me get this straight,when the Canucks draft bad it's Benning's fault, when they draft well, it's the scouting staff Gillis hired.

When it comes to Benning, you are religious... would you like me to outline how you are being religious with regards to Benning? Do you trust me, to be sincere, and not making an argument simply because you disagree, and I have a need to be right?

Or... would you rather I not post how you are being religious towards Benning?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I learned from the best on HF boards talking about all those trades that almost happened.

Which ones? The ones that were reported by a 3rd party?

What’s your 3rd party source for accusing ButGillis of fudging his data?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
When it comes to Benning, you are religious... would you like me to outline how you are being religious with regards to Benning? Do you trust me, to be sincere, and not making an argument simply because you disagree, and I have a need to be right?

Or... would you rather I not post how you are being religious towards Benning?
I will admit i was wrong about Benning when the results come in, but right now there isn't enough proof to prove he's as bad a GM as you say.Go ahead though, how am i religamous.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I will admit i was wrong about Benning when the results come in, but right now there isn't enough proof to prove he's as bad a GM as you say.Go ahead though, how am i religamous.

When do you think enough results will have come in? Sometime in the next decade?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'll take the two to one odds.

But for charity. $100 to a charity of your choice if they make it, $50 to a charity or mine if they don't.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Which ones? The ones that were reported by a 3rd party?

What’s your 3rd party source for accusing ButGillis of fudging his data?
I don't need any source just like you guys, just jump to conclusions the way you've done all season.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't need any source just like you guys, just jump to conclusions the way you've done all season.

Pretty sure every “trade that didn’t happen” had a source. Maybe you’re just more comfortable making stuff up in your imagination than the rest of us?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm glad that my list is so good that you think it's doctored.

It is of course not. I have explained the methodology on my blog which is in my signature. It also has made its fair share of bad picks. The 2015 draft in particular is not great. Took Anthony Beauvillier over Boeser.

It's simple enough that anyone can replicate it if they want to put in the time and effort that I have.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
When do you think enough results will have come in? Sometime in the next decade?
4 years isn't enough time to judge a GM,not when he inherited a trainwreck with no prospects at any position.Not when your Selke winner demands a trade with his privileged trade clause and the last GM traded all your goalie's and picks.You guys say Benning traded more picks than Gillis,Ok,remember the year McNally was our first pick?What round was that?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
4 years isn't enough time to judge a GM,not when he inherited a trainwreck with no prospects at any position.Not when your Selke winner demands a trade with his privileged trade clause and the last GM traded all your goalie's and picks.You guys say Benning traded more picks than Gillis,Ok,remember the year McNally was our first pick?What round was that?

So when? 6 years? 8 years? 12 years?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

How much time do we need for results? What year will the results be in by? What sort of results are you looking for (playoff success)?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

It certainly is enough time to judge a GM when he's built the worst team in the NHL over his last 3 years despite trading away more draft picks than the previous GM, and despite spending to the cap every year trying to make the playoffs. That's such an epic failure I don't know how anyone can say he's done a good job.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Do you argue with your boss?Dorsett earned every penny of that contract.The Sbisa one was bad but they don't have a crystal ball and it worked out because Vegas took him.If Vegas is run by such geniuses,why did they take Sbisa?

It was Gilman’s job to manage the contracts. Benning overruled him and gave out garbage deals to overpay players he liked.

Gilman has every right to contest him, especially considering he was right.

Dorsett in no way, shape or form earned the contract. If he didn’t have to retire because of injuries, his contract would get worse and worse over time as his play style was not conductive with longevity and sustained performance. He wasn’t even worth that much on the day he signed it, let alone long term.

Benning firing anyone who disagreed with him has just made the Canucks management an echo chamber of incompetent “yes” men who pat each other on the back for their horrible decisions.

You have a source for this, or are you speculating?

TSN 1040 talked to Gilman after the contracts were signed and he got very quiet and in their words “wanted nothing to do with them.”

Shortly after, Gilman is fired.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
You serious? 3 seasons? Sounds good, 50 to you if they don’t 500 to me if they do.
yes. What makes you think this team is even close to making the playoffs? There is no immediate help coming to a trash defense and there really isn't much room for personal growth from the current D-core.

In order for this team to make the playoffs in the next 3 years you would need some really fortunate events to take place and some shrewd management decisions. What exactly has happened over the past 4 years to make you think either of those things will happen? This team isn't going to win the lottery and Benning isn't going to suddenly turn into a Top GM with shrewd managerial skills.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Do you argue with your boss?Dorsett earned every penny of that contract.The Sbisa one was bad but they don't have a crystal ball and it worked out because Vegas took him.If Vegas is run by such geniuses,why did they take Sbisa?

If you work in that type of position and have a halfway competent boss, yes, you definitely argue with your boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad