2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Doug Wilson is one of the shrewdest GM's in the league..He's always kept the team competitive..From 2008-12 they drafted Hertl,Tierney,Nieto,Wingels,Demers,Coyle..all solid NHL players.

In contrast we drafted one solid NHL player,and four fringe players..that doesn't help....Also,after Kesler left the drop off was pretty big.

Just scanned two prospect pool rankings done at the beginning of the season and one had the Sharks ranked 31st (Hockeywriters) and the other had them ranked 29th (Dobber). Giving up the conditional 1st for Kane isn't going to help this department

With Thornton being 38 years of age, and Burns and Pavelski both 33 years old, and a gutted prospect pool, the window is closing mighty fast on Dougy Wilsons elusive Stanley Cup quest. Ugly days ahead for this organization

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I disagree. Tanking is good given the NHL as it stands, but the innate revulsion to it is natural and reasonable. The real problem is that the league has set up a stupid system that incents tanking.

Personally I think it's mostly a problem of fan perception. Very few teams actually 'tank' in the way a lot of fans perceive it: intentionally lose to get the highest draft pick. Those that have over the past few years, like Toronto or Buffalo, were already in a position to be the worst teams in the league. Even if you look at the Rangers now while they're moving into a rebuild and traded Nash & McDonaugh, they still have plenty of good players left and are a long ways from being in the basement.

So the problem with fan perception in my opinion, especially on HFBoards, is that if you're anything but a legit contender or up and comer like Tampa or Toronto then you should move into tank mode. I'm talking about the 2nd rate playoff teams like San Jose and Minnesota. Contend for the Cup, contend for the draft lottery, or bust isn't really feasible because there's too many teams in between the best & the worst.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I disagree. Tanking is good given the NHL as it stands, but the innate revulsion to it is natural and reasonable. The real problem is that the league has set up a stupid system that incents tanking.

if i had to make a practical argument in favour of it, i enjoy that tanking teams stimulate the trade deadline - but truth be told i just dont care for competitive moral arguments. it doesnt bother me if a team thinks they can get away with icing a bad team for two years as a rebuild strategy. im not having any more or less fun following this awful team vs the awful 2015 team that made the playoffs

similarly, diving rules. people have a natural revulsion to that too, but chronic divers like smith and kesler are hilarious and extremely entertaining and i support them

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I do not understand why a competent business man would allow his 700,000,000 dollar franchise be run by people with a highschool diploma. What the hell is Aqualini thinking.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
if i had to make a practical argument in favour of it, i enjoy that tanking teams stimulate the trade deadline - but truth be told i just dont care for competitive moral arguments.

Trade deadline day doesn't necessarily have much to do with tanking. Most sellers at the deadline would have went into the season hoping they'd be in a playoff spot, but if as the deadline approaches your season's been a failure you sell and try again next year.

True tanking would be more like what Toronto did in the 2015-16 season, where they shipped out Kessel for futures in the summer and signed a handful of vets to 1 year contracts with the purpose of flipping them at the deadline. That's tanking.

But again like I pointed out in my post above, Toronto was already in a position to be a basement team due to years of neglect and failure when they pulled this. There's nothing wrong when a team already at the very bottom does this, it's just a smart way to turn things around. Where the league would lose integrity if more teams in the middle decided to 'rebuild' and made moves to race to the bottom, which doesn't actually happen. The Rangers, for example, while they did some selling are still a bubble playoff team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I do not understand why a competent business man would allow his 700,000,000 dollar franchise be run by people with a highschool diploma. What the hell is Aqualini thinking.
What specific qualifications are you talking about?....How many GM's and coaches have MBA's or went to college?..

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
What specific qualifications are you talking about?....How many GM's and coaches have MBA's or went to college?..

They all probably should have a diploma.

The fact that half the gms dont have a diploma is probably the reason why there is such a big old boys club which is holding the NHL back.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Aquilini was gifted a family fortune and a billion dollar company. He went to UCLA to party himself. He likely isn't thinking that much.

He has an old school yes man and his hockey hero as his subordinates - losing a little bit of money (compared to what their real business brings in) is akin to a hobby that just costs a bit of money but feels pretty good and makes you look like one of the biggest men in town. The value of the team goes up no matter what, even if it isn't going up as highly as in other markets - again who cares it's just side money and they have more than they need (see his divorce proceedings).

Just relax - life is good!

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Just scanned two prospect pool rankings done at the beginning of the season and one had the Sharks ranked 31st (Hockeywriters) and the other had them ranked 29th (Dobber). Giving up the conditional 1st for Kane isn't going to help this department

With Thornton being 38 years of age, and Burns and Pavelski both 33 years old, and a gutted prospect pool, the window is closing mighty fast on Dougy Wilsons elusive Stanley Cup quest. Ugly days ahead for this organization

That is the problem when you look directly at prospect pool rankings, as the Sharks might be 31st but their success rate of development of those players is higher than most teams. We could have #9 in terms of ranking but if we don't develop a Lind, Gadjovich, Brassard, Brisbois, Demko, etc. into meaningful players we are no better than teams ranked below that do develop similar talents.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
NHL is one of the only leagues that seems to have such an Old Boys Club and has former players go right into management roles. So dumb. Just because you played doesn’t remnant you can run a team.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
NHL is one of the only leagues that seems to have such an Old Boys Club and has former players go right into management roles. So dumb. Just because you played doesn’t remnant you can run a team.

More info: Research & Data Visualization | Wave Intel
100% of MLB General Managers attended college or university.

26 of the 30 NBA GMs have post secondary education, according to wikipedia.com.

Now, lets take a look at the "ugly cousins" (your words, not mine): the National Hockey League.
3d1562_06ec7d6567e34e7d974dbdb8380c3789~mv2.png

23 current NHL GMs (74%) were former NHLers; the vast majority retired with long pro careers. Of the 31 teams, 8 employ GMs with no NHL playing experience.

A closer look reveals that all of these executives, in the "Non-Pro" group, had strong connections to the sport in junior, college or university, but nothing near a pro career; not even a single game in the NHL.

It was not easy to dig up the education backgrounds of these men, especially Doug Armstrong and Pierre Dorion *pop-up says " internet shutting down"*. The other 6 GMs in this group have some interesting backgrounds, with strong education and some experience outside the rink. Did you know Lou Lamoriello was a math teacher? Don't even start wth the abacus jokes.

General Manager Research Summary
MLB
  • 3% are former pro players
  • 100% have post secondary or higher degrees
NBA
  • 27% are former pro players
  • Over 85% have post secondary or higher degrees
NHL
  • 74% are former pro players
  • Education? *the dog ate my research data. Ask Editor for a deadline extension*

(click tweet to read entire thread of tweets by him)

ayy lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe and Wilch

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why wouldn't you hire the the guy who swung his pick the hardest to run a $500b mining company. He clearly knows about swinging a pick. It makes perfect sense.

Reactions: Wilch

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why do the Benning Bro's think being a university professor is some sort of bad thing?

Anti-intellectualism isn't a virtue.

**Was looking for what Nuckles posted. Pretty much sums it up. NHL is behind the times.
Because a professor wouldn't have traded Boeser++ for ahead Lucic's toughness. One NHL player could appreciate how toughness is more important than goals for.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Because they don't have diplomas..right:huh:

Maybe the Canucks should hire a UVIC professor to solve their problems....?

We're talking about people managing a complex hundred million dollar business. If you're just spinning pizzas or unclogging someone's toilet, then you really don't need a diploma.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Because they don't have diplomas..right:huh:

Maybe the Canucks should hire a UVIC professor to solve their problems....?

Diploma, degree. You get what I mean, this stuff called different things in different countries/languages.

The point stands. Handing the wheels to a 700 million dollar franchise to someone who has a highschool diploma is setting yourself up to fail. Fortunately for us, the rest of the league is just as ass-backwards.

Reactions: Kickpuncher

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Diploma, degree. You get what I mean, this stuff called different things in different countries/languages.

The point stands. Handing the wheels to a 700 million dollar franchise to someone who has a highschool diploma is setting yourself up to fail. Fortunately for us, the rest of the league is just as ass-backwards.
The worst part about it all isn't just his education, he had basically zero experience before taking the job. We would be in a much better position than we are today if he had spent years learning the ropes from someone competent and worked his way up to the position he's in right now.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Most of the guys in hockey ops don't have degrees or diplomas,..The owners,and board of directors running the $700M franchises do have business diplomas. (or are extremely business savvy)..They are actually 'running' the franchise

What kind of post secondary education does Steve Yzerman have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad