2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Baseball used to be the same as nhl. There has been a massive, massive shift the past 10-15 years. The same will happen in hockey.
I mean it’s bound to happen. 30 years ago teams were worth under 50M and now days the value has risen to around 700M.

When you have that much money at risk, owners will hire people to make sure it is managed properly.
Bascially Benning’s tenure will be used as a case study for the future for how not to f*** things up.
How did one of the highest value franchise in the league manage to lose value when every other franchise rose in value.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well ..20 NHL owners must be pretty dumb then,entrusting their multimillion dollar franchises to GM's with no post secondary education.

Imagine that?
I think it’s only in recent years that people start to realize how much money can be made with sports franchise.
Look at the EPL, in the 90’s it was about making enough money to field a better team and doing everything possible to fund it. Now? It’s a f***ing money printing machine.

A lot of the teams across different sports league are 10x in value in the last 10-20 years. What was once a rich owner’s pet hobbit is now starting to become a high revenue business. Let me repeat, it was once a hobby and now we are seeing it transition to high revenue business. NHL is behind because the revenue stream is still small compared to the other sports leagues but as the revenue grows, owners are going to stop looking at their teams as toys and hire business people to make sure that a bunch of high school dropouts are not making decision that can drop their value by hundreds of millions of dollars.

Reactions: Wilch and timw33

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I want to be at the level of richness, of where your sports team can drop like 100M was it (?) in a few years and you don’t even care - and to top things off, re-sign the idiot that made your franchise value DROP to a 3 year extension.

To watch something drop from one of the highest values in the league to wherever it is now is so rich people shit.

Really portrays how much Aquilini cares about this team, even though he meddles a lot, it doesn’t seem like he truly cares.

Reactions: pomorick

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I want to be at the level of richness, of where your sports team can drop like 100M was it (?) in a few years and you don’t even care - and to top things off, re-sign the idiot that made your franchise value DROP to a 3 year extension.

To watch something drop from one of the highest values in the league to wherever it is now is so rich people ****.

Really portrays how much Aquilini cares about this team, even though he meddles a lot, it doesn’t seem like he truly cares.
Well the league is growing and the cap will rise as well. The expenditure will grow to a point where the team might lose 10’s of millions of real money if not managed properly. Nothing grabs attention like asking the owner to write checks like that every season.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

To watch something drop from one of the highest values in the league to wherever it is now is so rich people ****.

The thing is, it is still one of the top-1o highest values in the league, and he's still up around 400M-500M in value since he bought the team, so I can understand it if he's thinking this is just absorbing some short term loss in anticipation of longer term gains. He's not even really wrong.

If Seattle joins it will be another massive cash infusion and the team will continue to be a fantastic long-term investment no matter what his idiot president and GM do.

It's not like he bought the team for 500M and now it is worth 300M. If that were the case, heads would be rolling. As it is, he's basically been playing with house money for some time now.

Yes, the fact that they are only up 4% in value since 2013 does make them one of the worst teams in the NHL in terms of growth, but they are still a team that is worth $730M USD.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The thing is, it is still one of the top-1o highest values in the league, and he's still up around 400M-500M in value since he bought the team, so I can understand it if he's thinking this is just absorbing some short term loss in anticipation of longer term gains. He's not even really wrong.

If Seattle joins it will be another massive cash infusion and the team will continue to be a fantastic long-term investment no matter what his idiot president and GM do.

It's not like he bought the team for 500M and now it is worth 300M. If that were the case, heads would be rolling. As it is, he's basically been playing with house money for some time now.

Yes, the fact that they are only up 4% in value since 2013 does make them one of the worst teams in the NHL in terms of growth, but they are still a team that is worth $730M USD.
I think heads will definitely start to roll as the losses start to pile.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
NHL owners are dumb..
Canucks fans are dumb....
Peeps on HF Canucks hold themselves in pretty high regard.
Not saying owners are dumb. Most of them still treats it like a high end hobby and not a money making machine. The league is quite there yet where it can be a money making machine, once it gets there through TV/streaming revenue, then owners will start to treat it more seriously.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

How much of the valuation drop is due to the loonie? I don't think the valuations have changed much. The Canucks still sit 7th which is where they were for most of Gillis' tenure?

And those valuations aren't an accurate reflection of what Aquilini can sell the Canucks for since you're most likely talking about selling the team bundled with Rogers Arena whose value must have gone one (land value).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How much of the valuation drop is due to the loonie? I don't think the valuations have changed much. The Canucks still sit 7th which is where they were for most of Gillis' tenure?

And those valuations aren't an accurate reflection of what Aquilini can sell the Canucks for since you're most likely talking about selling the team bundled with Rogers Arena whose value must have gone one (land value).
If all the Canadian franchise is rising in value and the Canucks’s lost value then it’s not really the looney is it.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
NHL owners are dumb..
Canucks fans are dumb....
Peeps on HF Canucks hold themselves in pretty high regard.
Some of the NHL owners are dumb, and that is why you have perpetually crappy teams.

Some Canucks fans are dumb simply because they think it is not possible to question the actions of a few individuals who, by luck or good connections, have a dream job and whine about it.

Peeps on HFCanucks would do a better job than some GM's in this league. Unfortunately, those peeps don't have the connections or good friends in important places to get those jobs.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I am the last person to want to go there, but we live in a world where Donald Trump is the president of the United States. That should be the end of these sorts of arguments.

People don't get to be managing important things just because they are the best person to do so. That is not how our society works. People are born into money and/or use connections to move up. People choose authoritative figures based on who sounds the most authoritative, not based on facts or logic.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

In the most recent valuations on the Canucks and Flames had seen a decrease in team valuation. The Flames can be explained by their arena situation. If it were due to the loonie you would expect all Canadian teams to experience this, but that isn't the case.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
In the most recent valuations on the Canucks and Flames had seen a decrease in team valuation. The Flames can be explained by their arena situation. If it were due to the loonie you would expect all Canadian teams to experience this, but that isn't the case.

That is not correct. The canucks went from 700 to 730.

Every team received a boost from Vegas and the deal with MLBAM. Percentage-wise, the canucks had one of the smallest increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad