2017-2018 Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I mean it kind of makes sense. The last thing you need when you're sorting out your own cap is to have a GM you pissed off with an offer sheet is send an offer to one of your key players. Either they get him, or they get you to pay more than you wanted/planned. And most teams aren't rebuilding, they'd rather have a proven NHL player than a bag of picks that could be home-runs or strike-outs.

Rumor was, that Columbus called up Stan to let him know they were going to offer-sheet Saad for x dollars, and gave him the opportunity to make a trade for established NHL players rather than be forced to take picks. Now, had Stan known Columbus was going to fall of a cliff that season, maybe he thinks it over... though I'm not sure if anybody in the top 5 other than McDavid and Laine have shown anything amazing. Still... a shot at McDavid? You might damn well let them offer-sheet you or that, if you could see into the future.

They wouldn't risk it for Panik, though. Not worth the paper-work.

I'm confused here on this bolded. McDavid and Laine were in different drafts, first off. McDavid was the #1 OA in 2015. Laine was #2OA in 2016. Also... what about Matthews? Puljujarvi? Eichel? Strome? Marner? That's 7 out of the 10 players taken in the top 5 the past two drafts.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm confused here on this bolded. McDavid and Laine were in different drafts, first off. McDavid was the #1 OA in 2015. Laine was #2OA in 2016. Also... what about Matthews? Puljujarvi? Eichel? Strome? Marner? That's 7 out of the 10 players taken in the top 5 the past two drafts.

Even if you count Strome and Puljujarvi as not having done much yet, Matthews, Eichel, Marner, and Hanifin all have.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have a feeling Jaeger meant Matthews instead of McDavid, ..and Laine, and was strictly talking about the most previous draft.

But still, far too early to say the top 5 hasn't shown much, and there was a guy at #6 who has been quite good in the NHL.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have a feeling Jaeger meant Matthews instead of McDavid, ..and Laine, and was strictly talking about the most previous draft.

But still, far too early to say the top 5 hasn't shown much, and there was a guy at #6 who has been quite good in the NHL.

Sounds correct. Wasn't trying to be a ****** about it. Just looking for clarification, and wondering why he feels that any of those others listed haven't shown anything.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I would keep Schmaltz with Toews long term. They fit well and will mesh even more long term.

Shulanov would be who I put at our 3C with Hossa and Hartman/Panik.

8-19-14
72-15-88
81-MS-38
48-67-64/70

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I would keep Schmaltz with Toews long term. They fit well and will mesh even more long term.

Shulanov would be who I put at our 3C with Hossa and Hartman/Panik.

8-19-14
72-15-88
81-MS-38
48-67-64/70

If Schmaltz can hold the puck like Hossa, he'll help Toews immensely. Panik is key because he'll play physcial defense AND get in front of the net. This frees up Toews to do things that highlights his skillsets.

Hopefully, Schmaltz gets stronger on the puck as he matures. Schmaltz also needs to shoot more. Both Panik and Toews are terrific off the rebounds ... rather than one timers like Kane and Panarin.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Th3 following will be gone for next season:

Rosival
Campbell
TVR (Vegas)
Kruger (Trade...cap reasons)
Panik (Trade...cap reasons )

CRAWFORD (cap reasons )..but only if they get significant cap savings on a Darling extention ($2 -$2.5 million in savings over cost on cap for CC) woukd Darling stay and extend for the chance to be #1 here at a discount contract of $3.5 to $4 million cap cost only?

I do not think you can argue it both ways..The Q old style trust vets with declining 9r lesser talent vs. Add youth rookies cheap to help cap but who are rookies with talent not grunts or guys past it or role guys to the stars already here.

By what coaching manual does it state that talented yutes are worse than experienced vets who nevertheless cannot score a lick or difference-make offensively OR who are reliable enough defensively but still force you to rdly on goalievsaviours because they bring zero offensive offset...like Kruger..who is not a $3 million value overall.On a lack of talent depth through 4 lines team maybe a Kruger or a Grint like Desjardins nor Rassmussen are needed to fill holes.but on the bother hand if you have 4 lines that can score ..that makes up for a lot of other possible issues ..in a worse case you can win games 7-4..bit if the goalies is that good you might still win 7-1 now.

On the other hand .we see $6?8;million cap cost vets who were horrible defending for clergy stretches of time this seadon..Can you say Seabrook ..the experienced vet Q trusts was good defending his zone during the December -January stretch of games or even earlier thus season?Recently he has played better. .but a $6.8 million value?

Q NEEDS to realize hockey has changed..Youth talent us better than ever ..and while we will not have any Mathews or Laine dazzles ..we will have a lit better than Kruger or Desjardins or Rassmussen ...My point is if Stan supplies better talent than that you gotta use it ..not give us the bold "but they are rookies " garbage. .

You see if even half a Laine or a or a Mathews all come to the Hawks at tge same time in 3-4 -5 of them half ad goid only as that type of top talent ..they still would be 19-15 times more talented than Kruger and Rassmussen and Desjardins. .these guys try but they got no talent.So instead ..create 4 scoring lines and forget about grunts trying to shutdown or give energy minutes...No just blitz oppnents wuth wave after wave of scoring threats ..4 lines who can score.do it that way.Q has to change ...Stan will supply it ..In a cap world you gotta keep stockpiling the pipeline ..the more talent you cam draw on cheap for a few years..the better ..this is a better idea than paying for cheap no talent fill in or overpaying for grunt minute crunches who still have little impact in really deciding games.You decide games by outscoring teams Just fd that to the very best you can ..this does not mean yutes are only going to be 1 -way players.They must at least try their best 2 ways even if sometimes mistakes are made..but as we saw with Vets who make mistakes and hardly try or fail to flip the switch enough...merely having vet status is no guarantee of wins wither. EVERYONE has to play with desire and focus ..but it is always better if you also have sone talent ..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If Schmaltz can hold the puck like Hossa, he'll help Toews immensely. Panik is key because he'll play physcial defense AND get in front of the net. This frees up Toews to do things that highlights his skillsets.

Hopefully, Schmaltz gets stronger on the puck as he matures. Schmaltz also needs to shoot more. Both Panik and Toews are terrific off the rebounds ... rather than one timers like Kane and Panarin.

Schmaltz is 6'1" and 177 lbs right now as a 20-year-old (I think people forget how young he still is) so it is very reasonable to think he could be 185-195 lbs is a few years. I don't think he will hold much more weight than that due to his build but that is fine. Not everyone can be built like Crosby.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Panik will very likely be be back. Think he'll do a 2 year deal for $1.25M per?

I don't see that happening unless he really wants to be in Chicago.
He's going to be signing his 4th contract and he's in him prime and will be approaching 300 NHL games played. If he takes something under 1.4, I think it will only be a 1 year deal, to bet on himself in a good situation. I'm not very optimistic about Panik sticking around on a cheap deal, he's outperformed his contract.

Maybe he signs like Kruger did...meaning he gets a bloated contract the following year.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This team is built around the core group to win. I think Crow is included in that, I don't see Darling being around next year. He's earned too much of a raise and he hasn't carried the ups and downs of a full season yet. I'll be surprised if they take the gamble while the skaters in the core still have years left.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Pretty sure that Kruger is out of next years roster. I don't see any big trades, if Panarin doesn't hit his bonuses.

I hope they re-sign both Panik and Kempny.

Yeah been away from the boards for months. I was coming to see about how much it helps with no bread man bonus. I haven't looked at my sreapdshhet for the cap #'s in some time. Does no bread bonus help more this year or next year?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Or the Hawks accept it and then trade him and the Blues still don't end up with him.

It isn't so much the retaliation that GMs worry about. They just know that if this sort of thing becomes common practice then salaries will rise among the RFA class. GMs depend on those guys being cheap.

I buy into this way more than the idea of GMs not wanting to poss other GMs off. Wilson sent an offer sheet to Hjalmarsson no a few years later we traded them Ben Smith for Desjardins.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I buy into this way more than the idea of GMs not wanting to poss other GMs off. Wilson sent an offer sheet to Hjalmarsson no a few years later we traded them Ben Smith for Desjardins.

Compare that to the NBA where poison pills are a common occurrence. The Bulls were ticked at the Pelicans when they offered Asik with a complicated structure.

Unless a team makes a massive offer for Panik, it's wise he sticks around with the Hawks. He's still a RFA, has the trust of Q, only a few seasons removed from almost out of the League, Toews likes playing with him, on a team with his hockey mentor / supporter, etc. If Panik proves he can maintain his play at this level, he's looking at a big multi year contract.

I'd think teams would be weary of giving Panik a long term deal. Remember, the issue with Panik was never his talent. It was focus. He still needs to prove that's an issue no more.

Get a bump in pay in 2017-2018 ... play with Toews ... and look for a big-time substantial payout in 2018. That should be Panik's goal.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Panik will very likely be be back. Think he'll do a 2 year deal for $1.25M per?

He has no choice but to do that if he wants to play in the NHL next season.. I don't see a team throwing an offersheet at him and the only way he would make that is if a team does...

More like 925k...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

Wilson was just screwing with Bowman/Tallon....

He also attempted (did) offersheet Neimi - who hysterically ended up getting less than what the Hawks offered because they chose Hammer (of course rightly so)..

That was a funny situation really...

I can't blame Wilson for throwing an offersheet at Hammer tho, but Neimi? he was clearly trying to force a hand when the Hawks were in cap hell.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Yeah been away from the boards for months. I was coming to see about how much it helps with no bread man bonus. I haven't looked at my sreapdshhet for the cap #'s in some time. Does no bread bonus help more this year or next year?

He may not hit any of his bonus'... Unless they're performance based..

He's not top 10 in scoring (but it's pretty close) and he didn't make the allstar team.. He's not in the running for any major awards yet - tho I suppose he could be a 2nd team allstar at LW behind Ovechkin at the end of the season, and has a slim chance (as do any star players going into the playoffs) to win the Conn Smythe.

So despite how good he's been the Hawks may dodge a bullet here.

I know Campbell hit 750k of his bonus' tho...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wilson was just screwing with Bowman/Tallon....

He also attempted (did) offersheet Neimi - who hysterically ended up getting less than what the Hawks offered because they chose Hammer (of course rightly so)..

That was a funny situation really...

I can't blame Wilson for throwing an offersheet at Hammer tho, but Neimi? he was clearly trying to force a hand when the Hawks were in cap hell.

Wilson offer sheeted Hammer, not Neimi. Neimi won his arbitration and was awarded a 2.75 million deal which the Hawks walked away from in order to match the Hammer deal. Wilson then signed Niemi as a FA.

But this is another example of why I feel offer sheets are underused. Wilson made the Hawks make a tough choice and as a result got a goalie out of it.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Wilson offer sheeted Hammer, not Neimi. Neimi won his arbitration and was awarded a 2.75 million deal which the Hawks walked away from in order to match the Hammer deal. Wilson then signed Niemi as a FA.

But this is another example of why I feel offer sheets are underused. Wilson made the Hawks make a tough choice and as a result got a goalie out of it.

Yea, but Neimi only ended up signing with SJ for like 1.75 if I'm not mistaken..

Either way he was screwing with Bowman/Tallon and trying to force their hand..

Yea, Wilson got exactly what he wanted in that situation.... He wanted Hammer or Neimi and he got one.... Matching Hammer was without question the right move..

Look, I don't see GM's just throwing offersheets at players to screw with teams or to 'speed up the process' on decisions.. I mean of course they will if it's the right player and a player they want - but it would have to be in that circumstance.

Why offersheet a player you don't want to force a GM to make a decision on a player you do want?

Also, compensation is an issue too... Remember you need to possess the required picks (your original picks) to pitch an offersheet, so that can complicate things further.

Imagine being a GM, trading your 3rd for a rental and then wanting to make an offersheet on a player but you don't have that pick and the GM that does wants an arm and a leg for it back??

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yea, but Neimi only ended up signing with SJ for like 1.75 if I'm not mistaken..

Either way he was screwing with Bowman/Tallon and trying to force their hand..

Yea, Wilson got exactly what he wanted in that situation.... He wanted Hammer or Neimi and he got one.... Matching Hammer was without question the right move..

Look, I don't see GM's just throwing offersheets at players to screw with teams or to 'speed up the process' on decisions.. I mean of course they will if it's the right player and a player they want - but it would have to be in that circumstance.

Why offersheet a player you don't want to force a GM to make a decision on a player you do want?

Also, compensation is an issue too... Remember you need to possess the required picks (your original picks) to pitch an offersheet, so that can complicate things further.

Imagine being a GM, trading your 3rd for a rental and then wanting to make an offersheet on a player but you don't have that pick and the GM that does wants an arm and a leg for it back??

To the bolded (1), that was no fault of Niemi's. Hawks didn't offer 2.75, that's what an arbiter awarded him.

(2) of course. I'm not suggesting teams offersheet guys for the sole purpose of screwing with other GMs. But currently, it seems that GMs go out of their way to not offersheet players (only 8 in 10 years or whatever the numbers are).

Again, someone like Panik is a perfect example. How many teams would offer 1.2 or more to Panik if he was a UFA? I would imagine quite a few, coming off what figures to be around a 40 point season. Why will less GMs do so if he's a RFA when there's no compensation attached?

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
He may not hit any of his bonus'... Unless they're performance based..

He's not top 10 in scoring (but it's pretty close) and he didn't make the allstar team.. He's not in the running for any major awards yet - tho I suppose he could be a 2nd team allstar at LW behind Ovechkin at the end of the season, and has a slim chance (as do any star players going into the playoffs) to win the Conn Smythe.

So despite how good he's been the Hawks may dodge a bullet here.

I know Campbell hit 750k of his bonus' tho...

Panarin will almost certainly max out his Schedule A bonuses. He gets 225k for any of the following: top 6 on team in ice time (total or average, min 42GP), 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, top 3 on team in +/- (min 42GP), 0.73 points per game (min 42GP). He's one goal away from 20, one assist away from 35, 7 points away from 60. #1 on the team in +/-. Well above .73 PPG. And is currently top 6 on the team in ice time per game. The Schedule A maxes out at 850,000. So tl;dr: he'll get it.

Honestly, he'll probably end up getting his Schedule B bonuses too. He's currently #12 in points among forwards, only two points back of 10th. Hardly an insurmountable gap. And he's already tied for 9th among forwards in assists, so as it stands currently, he would be getting it.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
To the bolded (1), that was no fault of Niemi's. Hawks didn't offer 2.75, that's what an arbiter awarded him.

(2) of course. I'm not suggesting teams offersheet guys for the sole purpose of screwing with other GMs. But currently, it seems that GMs go out of their way to not offersheet players (only 8 in 10 years or whatever the numbers are).

Again, someone like Panik is a perfect example. How many teams would offer 1.2 or more to Panik if he was a UFA? I would imagine quite a few, coming off what figures to be around a 40 point season. Why will less GMs do so if he's a RFA when there's no compensation attached?

You have to remember with a guy like Panik I think many GM's will see "flash in the pan", and these GM's and their teams have their own prospects, which they will want to play.. So if they're going to go out and sign someone (hence filling a roster spot) it's going to be someone that has a track record - that's worth it...

I mean, he could very well get an offersheet if the Hawks make a deep run and he plays a role that sticks out.... He could get 3 per if that's the case, and you better believe that was one of the reasons why Wilson offersheeted Hammer - because that SJ/Hawks series.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Panarin will almost certainly max out his Schedule A bonuses. He gets 225k for any of the following: top 6 on team in ice time (total or average, min 42GP), 20 goals, 35 assists, 60 points, top 3 on team in +/- (min 42GP), 0.73 points per game (min 42GP). He's one goal away from 20, one assist away from 35, 7 points away from 60. #1 on the team in +/-. Well above .73 PPG. And is currently top 6 on the team in ice time per game. The Schedule A maxes out at 850,000. So tl;dr: he'll get it.

Honestly, he'll probably end up getting his Schedule B bonuses too. He's currently #12 in points among forwards, only two points back of 10th. Hardly an insurmountable gap. And he's already tied for 9th among forwards in assists, so as it stands currently, he would be getting it.

Interesting..... Where do you get this bonus info?

Or are these just generic bonus' that apply to all ELC's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad