2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
For whatever its worth, I do think we underestimate Schmaltz as a prospect. Yes, he's getting up there as a prospect in terms of prospect age. But the old statement on defensemen developing late is still kind of a thing. He's got 14 points and a +9 in 16 games at the AHL. I think he's ready to get a legitimate look as a top 6 NHL defensemen. Sure, he might never a top 4 guy here because of whose in front of him, but a good cost controlled talented D-Man is a nice asset.

At least a good enough asset we shouldn't view him as a throw in in trades like we kinda have been before.

Reactions: stl76 and OSA

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Nice goal! I have noticed something after watching Rampage highlights, however. Schmaltz tends to get mesmerized by the puck. I noticed this about him during his brief stint with the Blues last season. I just think he would be more effective if he watched his assignment instead. He has great offensive instincts, I agree, but for the time being I would rather have Bortuzzo as our 3rd RD.
I am having a harder and harder time agreeing that Bortuzzo is a better option. Every game I watch Bortuzzo looks worse and worse. I think we have gotten lucky with his Offensive production, but his defense is starting to regress back to the Borts of old. I honestly think that Schmaltz will end the year as #3RD

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am having a harder and harder time agreeing that Bortuzzo is a better option. Every game I watch Bortuzzo looks worse and worse. I think we have gotten lucky with his Offensive production, but his defense is starting to regress back to the Borts of old. I honestly think that Schmaltz will end the year as #3RD
I think its just because Dunn is in the lineup and they it may not be realistic to move Dunn up with Parayko just yet.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Don't forget that DA loves him some more physical type guys and Bortz is definitely that. I don't think they'd easily swap Bortuzzo out unless he makes some egregious errors a few games in a row. Personally, I'd love to see Schmaltz up with Bortuzzo as 7th and Prosser waived to minors. Trade Gunnarsson is Bouw rounds back to form and you've got a defense of:

6 - 27
29 - 55
19 - Schmaltz ( I think it was 43 but I don't remember)

I like that defense.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I think its just because Dunn is in the lineup and they it may not be realistic to move Dunn up with Parayko just yet.
I can see how having Dunn and Schmaltz could be bad. what do you think about keeping Borts as filler and trading Gunny . You can swap Borts and Schmaltz and let Schmaltz get acclimated and not just throw him in the deep end. Let Bouw play bottom pair on Schmaltz days and second pair on Borts days.

BORTZ---- SCHMALTZ
6-27 ----- 6 -27
19-55 ---- 29-55
29-41 ---- 19-SCHMALTZ

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I can see how having Dunn and Schmaltz could be bad. what do you think about keeping Borts as filler and trading Gunny . You can swap Borts and Schmaltz and let Schmaltz get acclimated and not just throw him in the deep end. Let Bouw play bottom pair on Schmaltz days and second pair on Borts days.

BORTZ---- SCHMALTZ
6-27 ----- 6 -27
19-55 ---- 29-55
29-41 ---- 19-SCHMALTZ
Eh, Idk id leave that up to the coaches. Is being the guy in San Antonio better for him or is platooning in the NHL better? I don't have the answer for that. If he were in Chicago...it would be a no brainer....f*** those guys

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
He's fine in the AHL one more season. Bortuzzo and Peosser do both have deals going into next year, but I suspect the brass expect Schmaltz to leapfrog to 3RD next year while bortz takes over 7D spot and Prosser helps Walman in the AHL.

I do like seeing Jbo with Schmaltz that's a good pairing. Will be interested to see JBo if he's still got the skates left to play Top4 minutes.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
For whatever its worth, I do think we underestimate Schmaltz as a prospect. Yes, he's getting up there as a prospect in terms of prospect age. But the old statement on defensemen developing late is still kind of a thing. He's got 14 points and a +9 in 16 games at the AHL. I think he's ready to get a legitimate look as a top 6 NHL defensemen. Sure, he might never a top 4 guy here because of whose in front of him, but a good cost controlled talented D-Man is a nice asset.

At least a good enough asset we shouldn't view him as a throw in in trades like we kinda have been before.
As someone who has seen him a number of times this season I do think Schmaltz is progressing well. Nothing he does will blow you away but he doesn't need to.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Sarnia and Knights play against each other tonight. I wish I can watch this game. Should be a good one. Knights have really improved since getting their Draft prospects back.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
So far Thomas has been the best player for his team despite the Knights being down 4-1 to Kyrou and the sting. However on the Sarnia PP Thomas, playing RD, got juked by Kyrou and recovered with him down low to get juked again and Kyrou dished a wraparound to the front of the net for a goal. Kyrou looks like he’s trying this game. Maybe increased motivation Captain vs Captain, Blues prospect vs Blues prospect. Or perhaps prepping for WJC.

Either way we have two of the best players on the ice in this game and it shows.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Speaking of Sam Blias, he has been recalled to the Blues. But I wonder if he will dress. They didn’t dress Megan when he was callled up.

San Antonio doesn’t play again until Saturday.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Seems like he'd get in at least one of the two games this weekend. He's more of a prospect then Megan due to their ages and they'll want him to get some work while he's up with the big club. Whereas Megan is more of an injury backup when he gets called up.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Tage and Kostin often play on the same line together though of late that’s been changed a bit. Both are progressing pretty well but neither are NHL ready in my eyes yet. If the Blues stay healthy i’d keep them both in the A’ the rest of the season. Also worth nothing Thompson mainly plays at the center position now. Something he did for UConn. Schmaltz plays in every situation for the Rampage often paired with Butler. Really like his game, not as flashy as say Dunn, but Schmaltz is a fun prospect to watch, well rounded. Jake Walman has been a bit more quiet for the Wolves. He does often get pucks on net and can be creative at times but he’s struggled. Kinda like the Wolves in general.

Late reply, because I haven't been on hfboards for a while, but... THANK YOU!!!

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Bleackley ends his six game goalless streak and put in his 9th goal of the season. He’s had a few game misconducts this past week so his production has taken a slight hit in the ECHL, still a few assists though. Tulsa tied 1-1 against the Rapid City Rush.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Tate Thompson has 1g, 1a.

JK had an assist. He has really slowed down in production wise.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Can’t really say it’s a slump haha he’s still putting up points and playing well

I didn’t say slump. But he has slowed down after his torrid pace. It was expected, but I would like to see him come out of it and get back to 1.5 points per game

jessejames

Sep 1, 2009
Carberry, MB, Canada
I've been following the Blues since their first year and never been as optimistic about their near future as I am now. Obviously, the team has to be considered a favorite for the Stanley Cup this year and for the immediate future.

Of the prospects, one whom I am particularly intrigued by is Sam Blais. This guy was an 8th round bantam pick (I believe), then a 6th round NHL amateur pick. He started last year in the AHL with 2 points in 18 games, but ended the season with 26 goals and 40-some points. This year he's better than a point-per-game in the A, and has shown promise with the Blues. He has improved his play and production with his every step on his way to what could be a very solid NHL career. Regardless of what he finally achieves, that sort of development is indeed unusual.

As for other prospects, I do not see enough of the most of them to make much of an opinion. Certainly, Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Walman, Schmaltz, and Thompson, (in roughly that order) have my attention; however, based mostly on my viewings of previous World Juniors, I rather doubt Barbeshev will be a bonafide NHL player of much note. As for Sanford, I have no idea.

My $.02, but what do I know? I work in a potatoe chip factory.

Last edited:

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
While this should probably be in the Prospects thread, I do agree. I'm very excited to see some of the kids step in. Very exciting time to be a Blues fan right now.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I'm hesitant to ever say we're cup contenders but I feel we're fully capable to make some noise come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad