2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Gotta love the spin from the local media that this move is to replace Sanford, not Fabbri.

Yeah let's replace a guy who wasn't even guaranteed to make the team, and who was in direct competition with Sundqvist for a spot (and Megan) who are now both on the roster but yeah... we need Upshall... that makes sense.

The Blues always know how to kill my excitement for the season. Man oh man.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
He is only signed to a PTO but given Army's comments on JRs twitter it sounds like he is anticipating signing him.

*on phone so can't link the comments*

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I dont think he's replacing Fabbri. Without trading for someone, you don't replace Fabbri. Hope that Blais, Kostin or Thompson can take a step and make the team. Your going to have to replace Fabbri by committee.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is really an indictment on the bottom of our forward roster. Bennett and Sundstrom didn't live up to expectations. MPS and Barbashev seem not to have had strong camps either. Thompson and Kostin not quite ready. They were hoping to supplement 3rd line from this group (and Sanford). Fabbri's injury means Sobotka got pushed to 2nd line, Jaskin to 3rd. This all adds up to them not feeling comfortable about 3rd and even more 4th lines so they bring in Upshall. He obviously can't replace Fabbri, but they feel more comfortable knowing he can help on 4th line (and PK). I would still like to see us pick up someone to help 2nd/3rd line, but adding Upshall isn't bad idea.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Wondering if there was something about Agostino's make-up or attitude that turned the Blues off. It's curious that a guy that could play on the 3rd scoring line was never really given a shot last year, not brought back for this year, or added even after our forward depth has been decimated. Guy must have slept with Army's wife or something...

Reactions: jura

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Funny I was maybe the only guys in here Blues HFboard 2-years back when Uspahll came in Blues. I hate it. Now I'm the only guy who thinks he's still decent player for us. I think people still forget that Upshall was our top3 PK'er last year bgefore Brodziak and Steen. Sobotka was also ahead PK TOI/GP, but he played just one regular season game.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIcePerGame

Pääjärvi, Megan, (Thorburn) and Jaskin aren't any near of that good or they wasn't that good compare to Upshall in PK. They all are crap 5on5 game, but Upshall has clear advance at PK skills that will put him ahead of those guys. Thorburn is still questionmark to me, pre-season hasn't show anything major positive thing, but he played some of PK time in Jets, but I assume he's Pääjärvi level so nothing to be excited for.

I forgot Sundqvist, so he's also big questionmark + he has showed he's very good at FO dot. So I'd go-go for him if Stastny would get released from PK icetime and get more 5on5 + PP icetime.

I would run these PK duo's in order.

Code:
Sobotka - Schwartz/(Steen)
Brodziak - Upshall
Stastny/(Sundqvist) - Steen

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Upshall was great till the end of the last season. From what i saw in pre season(1 or 2 games), he's going to struggle if the rules aren't relaxed. I see him having a potential negative impact penalty wise.

Untill Steen gets back, our top 9 is gross

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
paajarvi better be on the 3rd line. hes a good player in that spot.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So Blais is Penned into that 2nd line RW position now huh? Thats the only reason why Jagr would have to play on the 3rd line.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We have ~$3m in cap space if we are adding another player, not the $2m that Rutherford talks about.

If we are interested in Jágr, then it would make sense that it would take a little time to get a deal done.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
We have ~$3m in cap space if we are adding another player, not the $2m that Rutherford talks about.

If we are interested in Jágr, then it would make sense that it would take a little time to get a deal done.

Technically we have much more than that due to Berglund/Sanford being on IR (Upshall effectively replaces Fabbri, so no savings there). However, it's kind of an illusory savings; when Berglund comes back, we have to be cap compliant again, which would mean a trade would be necessary (or send someone down and roll 22 players instead of 23...but that person being sent down would likely be Sanford or someone else who makes less than $1 mil, and that would mean Jagr could only be signed for about $3.8 mil...which could still be feasible, actually).

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
It was reported an offer was made to Jagr’s camp but Blues were informed that Jagr was going another direction.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Damn It would look sexy Jagr in this old jersey. I mean c'mon. Right away buy that jersey.

71b86354175aa926ad915b4d1284c19c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad