2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Well, here we go. This thread is for discussion of the day to day stuff which isnt really worthy of a thread on its own and doesnt quite fit into our other major threads (roster moves, standings, practices etc etc etc)

We havent had one of these in the past, however a lot of other team boards have one, so we'll try it.We had something to discuss "that thing that shall not be discussed" in the latter half of last year, and it worked out well, so we'll start off with general season discussion now.

So....go!

Edit - 2018 is here. Im going to use the word "playoffs". Blame me if we go off the cliff

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Can't wait for Matthews to shut up all the haters on the main board. It's going to be glorious.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
ned-stark-970x545.jpg

Hockey is coming!

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Added a Matthews home jersey this offseason to my small collection. Also have a Sundin home jersey and a signed away white McCauley jersey - both with 1999 MLG final season patch.

It’s been 17 years since I’ve been motivated to buy a new jersey. You guys know my pain. Got a great feeling about this year!

Reactions: 54thecup

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Coach likes 5 game segments so:

Jets - away
Rangers - home
Hawks - home
Devils - home
Habs - away

I'm seeing 6 points here - GO LEAFS GO

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Also I guess I might as well post it in this thread, but my number one concern going into this season is the JVR-Bozak-Marner line. They’re so bad in their own zone and I just can’t figure out why, because it’s not effort. Our biggest problem last year was keeping pucks out of our net, and it’s nail biting (and not in a good way) to see these guys get trapped in their own zone every other shift.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There will be ups and downs.

I suspect the ups will not be high enough to satisfy those fans who are not prepared for the downs.

Our memories are too short.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My rough draft prediction for the season:

I think we struggle out of the gate, and we go something like 8-8-4, offense "struggles" a bit and the whole team is somehwat off. None of our big 3 are at or even somewhat close to a PPG. Leafs haters on the main board start jumping for joy and tell us that we should have expected regression. A few simple lineup tweaks, offense starts clicking hard, we go on a huge winning stretch and all of a sudden we have the division lead halfway through the season, and the haters go back into hiding. Next half of the year we look way more consistent, closing out most games with ease, and cruise to finish the season with 104 points, tying Tampa for the division lead. They take tie-breaker, and we face none other than the Buffalo Sabres in the first round.

Reactions: FADYB

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
As the third line, we know the JVR/Bozie/MM line is getting more sheltered minutes 5 on 5. Why aren’t they dominating possession more? Most teams aren’t 3 lines deep offensively - yet this line is quite bad defensively. What am I missing?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Honestly, I think if we beat the Jets, we get all 10 points.
The Blackhawks are still a very good team and we lost both our games to them last season. The Habs are the Habs, unbeatable when we play them for some reason no matter how bad or good they are. We get 6/10 points IMO including an ez pz win against the Jets which is a great start.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As the third line, we know the JVR/Bozie/MM line is getting more sheltered minutes 5 on 5. Why aren’t they dominating possession more? Most teams aren’t 3 lines deep offensively - yet this line is quite bad defensively. What am I missing?
JVR/Bozak have always been bad defensively/possession wise. This goes back to the days when they played with Kessel too.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
JVR/Bozak have always been bad defensively/possession wise. This goes back to the days when they played with Kessel too.

But now Matthews’ line gets the top checkers against them. Kadri’s unit is out against other teams top lines. I just don’t get it.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
My rough draft prediction for the season:

I think we struggle out of the gate, and we go something like 8-8-4, offense "struggles" a bit and the whole team is somehwat off. None of our big 3 are at or even somewhat close to a PPG. Leafs haters on the main board start jumping for joy and tell us that we should have expected regression. A few simple lineup tweaks, offense starts clicking hard, we go on a huge winning stretch and all of a sudden we have the division lead halfway through the season, and the haters go back into hiding. Next half of the year we look way more consistent, closing out most games with ease, and cruise to finish the season with 104 points, tying Tampa for the division lead. They take tie-breaker, and we face none other than the Buffalo Sabres in the first round.
Didn't watch the preseason eh? Since if you did, you wouldn't be predicting Matthews and Nylander to be far off PPG

Reactions: carko32

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
With how many powerplays the league seems to want this season, it will be hard for 29 and 34 to be < PPG.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017

Remember that time Bozak was nominated for a Selke? :biglaugh:

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I am so amped for the season, no question!

I expect another fulfilling season as a fan, but not without its ups and downs!

Predictions:

1) We are a better defensive team as a unit (ie:less goals against)
2) Our 4th line will be better. Brown provides great skills as well as some touch. I think Aaltonen will get some time ( he is exciting cause he can grow into a top 9 center and play 3 forward positions). Moore will be fine and Martin will be more effective statistically
3) Our top 9 will get the job done cause you cant shut them all down

The odds makers have us high (top 2 in Atlantic) but the simulators have us from 90 to 96 points that I have seen.

I predict we hit the great one... my fav number:)

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Also I guess I might as well post it in this thread, but my number one concern going into this season is the JVR-Bozak-Marner line. They’re so bad in their own zone and I just can’t figure out why, because it’s not effort. Our biggest problem last year was keeping pucks out of our net, and it’s nail biting (and not in a good way) to see these guys get trapped in their own zone every other shift.

That line will be the weaker line.

Other teams against Toronto, will try to contain the Matthews line, and play the Kadri line even to a draw. If the other team can hold their own on the power play and get some offense from their defense, then they can beat the Leafs in a game.

This will not happen every night, so the Maple Leafs will win a lot of games this season IMHO.

Other teams, know they have to take advantage of this line in a match up to have a good chance to win. They will try to match a big center on Bozak to grind out zone time and hope for the break.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Have to agree. Bozak loses a step in defensive cover because either slow to react or did not anticipate and read the play quick enough, and consequently does not have position on the guy.

Or Bozak gets out muscled and does not have position on the guy.

Matthews was not that great either last season doing the same thing, or not doing it. But as a rookie they learn as they go along, and he scored 40 goals. He's going to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad