2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Hyman --- Matthews --- Nylander
This line is going to be next level man. Matthews is one of the best players in the NHL already, and Nylander is turning into one of the best offensive talents in the game. I'm expecting 70+ points from both guys. 35+ goals for Matthews, 30+ for Willy.

I'm incredibly excited for this season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
As the third line, we know the JVR/Bozie/MM line is getting more sheltered minutes 5 on 5. Why aren’t they dominating possession more? Most teams aren’t 3 lines deep offensively - yet this line is quite bad defensively. What am I missing?

IMO it's on Bozak.

He has problems handling the puck in tight spaces/evading defenders. I think in order to make it work for Bozak you need two work horse type wingers with him. But in our case it's not worth re-configuring all the lines to suit Bozak.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
As the third line, we know the JVR/Bozie/MM line is getting more sheltered minutes 5 on 5. Why aren’t they dominating possession more? Most teams aren’t 3 lines deep offensively - yet this line is quite bad defensively. What am I missing?
The problem is that they can't transition the puck. If I remember correctly, Bozak is hilariously ineffective at moving the puck out of the zone with control, and JVR is well below average at that as well. I haven't seen any stats for Marner, but my feeling is that this is an area where he struggles too. Doesn't help that they use him as a stretch option when the guy with the puck can rarely get it to him.

Getting the puck out of your zone with control is perhaps the biggest contributor there is to good shot metrics.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I haven't seen any stats for Marner, but my feeling is that this is an area where he struggles too.

I think this is the area that we can be optimistic. Watching him play in the juniors, I don't think this was ever an issue for him. Hopefully he will be stronger this year in Toronto.
Or we could dump Bozak and shift Willy to centre!!!

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think this is the area that we can be optimistic. Watching him play in the juniors, I don't think this was ever an issue for him. Hopefully he will be stronger this year in Toronto.
Or we could dump Bozak and shift Willy to centre!!!

Marner isn't a concern, at least for me. He's very good at carrying the puck up the ice through the neutral zone.

Sep 18, 2009
Hyman --- Matthews --- Nylander
This line is going to be next level man. Matthews is one of the best players in the NHL already, and Nylander is turning into one of the best offensive talents in the game. I'm expecting 70+ points from both guys. 35+ goals for Matthews, 30+ for Willy.

I'm incredibly excited for this season.
This line would be better without an offensive black hole on it

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Carl Grundstrom on his way back to Sweden per Dreger

Without AHL eligibility this season, and with the depth of our line up, it was just a matter of time. I really liked what I saw of him this pre-season.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
JVR/Bozak/Hyman as this year's whipping boys, and the same cast of characters ramming their gripes about them down our throats in every thread.

Are YOU ready for this season?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Without AHL eligibility this season, and with the depth of our line up, it was just a matter of time. I really liked what I saw of him this pre-season.

Yes. I think the games were very good experience for him. He can go back and work on his game. I have a lot of faith in Swedish developments. They have great coaches that he'll work with.

I was very pleasently pleased with his progress. He could get a bit stronger. I'll follow his progress very closely

Fahad

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm pretty freaking excited for this season. Matthews has a shot at 50 if Hyman is going to play on his LW all year. Not because Hyman is good, but because Auston will shoot it instead of passing it to Zach. The Matthews-Nylander combo is just too good to be contained.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Camp down to 26 including Liljegren who likely doesn't stick. Only 14 forwards remain. Fehr's probably on the team.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
remember that Hyman looked concussed on friday, and I was surprised he came back in. wouldn't be shocked if he opened the season on the DL.

I'm feeling that Liljegren might be going back to sweden.

And they might be working on a trade of Marincin.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Polak is a free agent per Babcock yesterday. He might stick around like Prust 2 seasons ago and hope something comes up.

Johnston made a point that Liljegren is still around likely because the Leafs are going to send him back to Sweden but need to make sure Rogle can take him on a transfer since they didn't expect him back.

We need to finalize the roster by tomorrow afternoon, so something will have to give.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Cuts as expected so far.

Now send down Liljeren,
Waive Marincin
Send down Borgman/Fehr.
And play some hockey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad