2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
21-6-2 in our last 29 games since Jan 24th. Only NAS has a better record.

Thats on pace for a 124 point season.

2 weeks from end of october - beginning of november and the middle of december for 2 weeks have been the worst parts of the year. Those parts likely cost them a chance at winning the division.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
So looking at all schedules for TD Garden (BOS), Amalie Arena (TB), and Air Canada Centre (TOR), I would assume our playoff schedule will be as follows for the first 4 games:

Game 1: Thursday, April 12 in BOS / TB
Game 2: Saturday, April 14 in BOS / TB
Game 3: Monday, April 16 in TOR
Game 4: Wednesday, April 18 in TOR

NBA Playoffs start on April 14 so good chance the Raptors play April 15 and April 17 in Toronto as they'll start at home.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Eh not meaningless, if we tank em all we get a better draft pick

Are you serious? Come on. LOL. Besides, if you make the final 4, it does not even matter where you finished during the regular season. You get the final 4 draft picks in the first round. Unless I am mistaken. Seems silly to worry about where you draft at this time of the year, so I hope you were just joking.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Are you serious? Come on. LOL. Besides, if you make the final 4, it does not even matter where you finished during the regular season. You get the final 4 draft picks in the first round. Unless I am mistaken. Seems silly to worry about where you draft at this time of the year, so I hope you were just joking.
lol I was. But I definitely wouldn't complain about losing the next 3 tbh, would move us up 1-3 spots in the draft (don't think we're making conf finals lol, next year) and that can always be the difference of getting Hunter's guy or not.

Just want to see good effort in the last 3 games, don't care about the result

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Some people value Goals as 2x the value of assists.

Here is our player rankings if you double the weight of goals:
Player: Games Played | Adjusted Points
Marner: 79GP 91AP
JVR: 78GP 90AP
Matthews: 59GP 88AP
Kadri: 77GP 85AP
Nylander: 79GP 73AP
Marleau: 79GP 71AP
Rielly: 73GP 56AP
Gardiner: 79GP 54AP
Bozak: 78GP 53AP
Hyman: 79GP 52AP
Brown: 79GP 42AP

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs vs tampa looks more likely. Preds just kicked tampa's ass LOL

I hope the buds were watching that game and seeing how they can take advantage of tampa's weak links

Reactions: Dr C

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'd like to play TB for another reason.
If we were to play Boston and lose, guranteed there'd be this huge narative spun that we lost because were soft and need to go out and find grit.
EDM should be a good example that putting size/grit beside elite talent doesnt always work especially in todays climate. Sometimes it just makes you slow and not able to dictate.

Leafs and Tampa play a similar style that should make for a fantastic series full of speed and talent. I actually think with the way Vasilevsky is playing we can win that series. With the way the Bruins are currently going Nashville is the only team I can see stopping them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd like to play TB for another reason.
If we were to play Boston and lose, guranteed there'd be this huge narative spun that we lost because were soft and need to go out and find grit.
EDM should be a good example that putting size/grit beside elite talent doesnt always work especially in todays climate. Sometimes it just makes you slow and not able to dictate.

Leafs and Tampa play a similar style that should make for a fantastic series full of speed and talent. I actually think with the way Vasilevsky is playing we can win that series. With the way the Bruins are currently going Nashville is the only team I can see stopping them.

i have to say it.

so?

I think that narrative already exists, you hear it every time someone hits Freddy or something, why aren't we just a touch tougher. (which - I might add, isn't a problem). I would argue there would be a lot of tough/grit type players that could fit the style of our team (like a Thachuk or something - not saying i'd trade for him, but that's a type of 'grit/tough' type player that would suit this team).

also. I don't think Shanahan would allow anyone to throw out the baby with the bathwater due to whatever the media thought, do you?

I wouldn't mind Tampa because I think it would be the most gong-show series this playoffs.
but i wouldn't mind Boston either because it would be very chess-match before the explosion of goals. and the Leafs have shown they could play both games very well.

with that being said,
Tampa saw Dermott got hurt, and raised a Stamkos.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
i have to say it.

so?

I think that narrative already exists, you hear it every time someone hits Freddy or something, why aren't we just a touch tougher. (which - I might add, isn't a problem). I would argue there would be a lot of tough/grit type players that could fit the style of our team (like a Thachuk or something - not saying i'd trade for him, but that's a type of 'grit/tough' type player that would suit this team).

also. I don't think Shanahan would allow anyone to throw out the baby with the bathwater due to whatever the media thought, do you?

I wouldn't mind Tampa because I think it would be the most gong-show series this playoffs.
but i wouldn't mind Boston either because it would be very chess-match before the explosion of goals. and the Leafs have shown they could play both games very well.

with that being said,
Tampa saw Dermott got hurt, and raised a Stamkos.

Yep if both the players and management can tune it out and continue to make smart hockey moves cool.
We've seen in the past that management teams can be very reactionary especially after losing in the playoffs and blaming it on a specific reason.
I mean we cant say for certain either way because the past two seasons we have traded away second rounders for gritty 4th line centers.

I think you know my stance on the entire speed/talent/grit topic. I do think there still needs to be elements of grit but also believe it can be obtained in less obvious ways like getting guys who go balls to the wall every game even if their smaller players (Johnsson is a good example).

I would like to see this management continue to prioritize speed and skill. If we were to get smashed by the Bruins I would be concerned we'd make a move where we overvalue toughness and it results in either a bad contract or making a bad trade.

I'll take your side and believe management is better than that.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have a job in Nashville the first week of the playoffs. And, they will put us up in the Hilton across the street from Bridgestone Arena. There are worst places to be, for sure.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
yup tampa literally choked the division lead away maybe they are human lol, hope we beat them in 5! lol

I dont think you can really say they choked it away when Boston has basically been winning non stop for months.

I mean Boston still has a chance to win the regular season crown (only 3pts back of Nashville).

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad