Injury Report: 2017-18 thread: first of many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
There seems to be this assumption that Kesler playing last year made his injury worse. From the sounds of it his hip injury was bad enough to be considered career threatening, similar to what ARod went through near the end of his time.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
There seems to be this assumption that Kesler playing last year made his injury worse. From the sounds of it his hip injury was bad enough to be considered career threatening, similar to what ARod went through near the end of his time.
If you're correct, then there is a serious issue with our medical staff. They allowed Despres to play when he clearly shouldn't have, and now he's career is done. Kes is allowed to play when he clearly shouldn't have, and now the rest of his career is in question. I would never trust a player to evaluate their own health.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you're correct, then there is a serious issue with our medical staff. They allowed Despres to play when he clearly shouldn't have, and now he's career is done. Kes is allowed to play when he clearly shouldn't have, and now the rest of his career is in question. I would never trust a player to evaluate their own health.
First of all despres lied to the medical staff and hid his concussion symptoms. This was reported.

Second of all, there is that assumption again. It's only a negligence issue if the player was cleared to play with an injury that would obviously get worse if he played. We do not know that. From all of the facts that have been reported plus the history of his particular surgery, the original injury was serious enough on its own to be career altering if not threatening.

That's different than being cleared to play with a bulging disc that then ruptrures on the ice. It's a static major injury (heh).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I understand the knee-jerk reaction to hearing he might miss all of next year, but yeah you're dead on. Nothing about that indicates he made it worse by playing, just that it hasn't and might never get much better.

Like if this is true it means he's probably done. Voluntarily taking an entire year off (with no actual timetable) sounds a lot like the hailest of Mary's in an attempt to keep playing and it probably won't work.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
First of all despres lied to the medical staff and hid his concussion symptoms. This was reported.

Second of all, there is that assumption again. It's only a negligence issue if the player was cleared to play with an injury that would obviously get worse if he played. We do not know that. From all of the facts that have been reported plus the history of his particular surgery, the original injury was serious enough on its own to be career altering if not threatening.

That's different than being cleared to play with a bulging disc that then ruptrures on the ice. It's a static major injury (heh).

Most players lie about their injuries though, that's part of the stupid culture this league has "play through the pain." Medical staff should be there to keep players from doing more harm to themselves. Despres did lie, but could our medical staff not actually find any concussion symptoms?

If the initial injury was that bad before fully recovering or before coming back to play, he should not have been allowed to play from the start. We probably won't know if playing with the injury made it worse or not, but I think we can agree he should just not have played this season at all; it was a lost season by the time he came back.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Most players lie about their injuries though, that's part of the stupid culture this league has "play through the pain." Medical staff should be there to keep players from doing more harm to themselves. Despres did lie, but could our medical staff not actually find any concussion symptoms?

If the initial injury was that bad before fully recovering or before coming back to play, he should not have been allowed to play from the start. We probably won't know if playing with the injury made it worse or not, but I think we can agree he should just not have played this season at all; it was a lost season by the time he came back.

All medical professionals rely on their patients relaying information to them to accurately treat them. If the patient holds back important information or misleads the medical personnel then the consequences are on him, not the person trying to help. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Furthermore, a medical professional isn't going to medically clear a player based on anything but the relevant data, as should be done.

Everything else is on the player. If Kesler's injury was such that it would not get worse if he played and he could reasonably perform, then he is cleared. Whether he is a worse player or if it's tough on him or if it hurts is irrelevant as long as the first two criteria are met.

Reactions: AngelDuck

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
We can’t buy him out if he’s injured can we?
No we can't.

But I swear I remember Toronto or some Canadian team did buy out an injured player in the last few years and found a loophole in the rules or along those lines. Maybe it was along the lines of he was 'cleared' but wasn't going to play in that final year anyway. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
No we can't.

But I swear I remember Toronto or some Canadian team did buy out an injured player in the last few years and found a loophole in the rules or along those lines. Maybe it was along the lines of he was 'cleared' but wasn't going to play in that final year anyway. Or maybe I'm just going crazy.

Lupul?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't remember the specifics but wasn't there something weird like that with Jared Cowan?

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
I don't remember the specifics but wasn't there something weird like that with Jared Cowan?
Think this is the one I'm thinking of. Pretty sure he was bought out by the Leafs despite being on IR but somehow got away with it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
We can’t buy him out if he’s injured can we?

Another question might be if he qualifies as being injured. With all the LTIR guys, they couldn't pass a physical, but Kesler has so I'm unsure how that all works. Then there's the Hossa thing where he also could play through his ailment but ultimately failed his physical, but I'm genuinely intrigued by how this shakes out. Not sure riding it out on the LTIR is an option for him, unless he gets another surgery or something.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Cowen was deemed healthy but then put elected to get surgery without the teams consent so they deemed he wasn't actually injured, or something like that.
Just read up on it more and honestly it's a mess of a situation.

When Cowen was acquired Toronto immediately shut him down apparently due to issues that relating to his 2012 surgery on a torn labrum in his left hip, however about 3 weeks later on Feb 27 he was then activated again, deemed healthy by Leafs doctors and sent to the AHL - which came a couple of days before Leafs stated they were going to buy out Cowen. Then in early March, Cowen requested to leave the Marlies and return home (which was granted) which is where I assume he saw his own doctor who gave him the recommendation to get surgery on the hip. Interestingly, there is a provision in the CBA that says players are allowed to seek a 2nd medical opinion outside of the team - so he wasn't necessarily breaking a rule there however the non-team doctor has to consult with the team doctor before any medical decision is made according to the CBA.

Turns out the ruling was that Cowen couldn't prove he was unfit when the buyout came on June 15 so it was deemed legal. Though I find it very hard to believe a player would willingly go through a hip surgery and all the pain, rehab etc that comes with it (he ended up missing all of the 16-17 season due to the surgery) just to stop a team buying him out. But maybe that's just me.

Either way, it doesn't really matter for the Ducks - no doubt we're going to have Kesler with the hips of an 85 year old skating around in 2019/2020 for us and it's going to be painful to watch.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Just read up on it more and honestly it's a mess of a situation.

When Cowen was acquired Toronto immediately shut him down apparently due to issues that relating to his 2012 surgery on a torn labrum in his left hip, however about 3 weeks later on Feb 27 he was then activated again, deemed healthy by Leafs doctors and sent to the AHL - which came a couple of days before Leafs stated they were going to buy out Cowen. Then in early March, Cowen requested to leave the Marlies and return home (which was granted) which is where I assume he saw his own doctor who gave him the recommendation to get surgery on the hip. Interestingly, there is a provision in the CBA that says players are allowed to seek a 2nd medical opinion outside of the team - so he wasn't necessarily breaking a rule there however the non-team doctor has to consult with the team doctor before any medical decision is made according to the CBA.

Turns out the ruling was that Cowen couldn't prove he was unfit when the buyout came on June 15 so it was deemed legal. Though I find it very hard to believe a player would willingly go through a hip surgery and all the pain, rehab etc that comes with it (he ended up missing all of the 16-17 season due to the surgery) just to stop a team buying him out. But maybe that's just me.

Either way, it doesn't really matter for the Ducks - no doubt we're going to have Kesler with the hips of an 85 year old skating around in 2019/2020 for us and it's going to be painful to watch.

Hey, I'm gonna say if he actually sits himself an entire year then we'll never see him again. There's pretty much no way thats actually going to work.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Lol eaves last year and Kesler this upcoming year.

Wonder if it's gonna be Getzlaf/perry the year after

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Im hearing Kesler began skating with Cogs last week. Last time i saw him he looked noticeable slimmer. Especially lower body. I was under the impression he was taking more of the summer off but maybe he is itching to get back out there or maybe he just wants to see how it feels.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Im hearing Kesler began skating with Cogs last week. Last time i saw him he looked noticeable slimmer. Especially lower body. I was under the impression he was taking more of the summer off but maybe he is itching to get back out there or maybe he just wants to see how it feels.
I mean if you love what you do I'd be back out there skating the following week or 2. It's what most of them love to do

Reactions: AngelDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I had just previously heard he was going to shut it down for the summer to help it heal. Maybe it has been feeling better and he wanted to at least test it out to see if he can start getting into shape. Kesler normally does a great job getting into shape before camp.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I had just previously heard he was going to shut it down for the summer to help it heal. Maybe it has been feeling better and he wanted to at least test it out to see if he can start getting into shape. Kesler normally does a great job getting into shape before camp.
Kesler with no hip who might sit out entire season will still skate more than Perry in the off season... lol

Oct 18, 2011
Maybe the thought here is Kesler needs to rebuild that lower body strength he lost and shouldn't waste time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad